Uber Possession

With my RB Leipzig side, Im aiming to imprint a possession style outlook on the club. Not just any possession though, I want to pass clubs off the park, achieving around 70% possession most games. Even if it means a hell of a lot of sideways and backwards passes, I just want to dominate possession. I know this will lead to a lack of attacking cutting edge but I can sort that at a later date, I just want to fine tune the possession first. If I achieve what I'm aiming for anyway it will only lead to a lot of 1-0\2-0 wins anyway.

My current set up is:

----------SK(D)----------

FB(A)-CD©-CD(D)-FB(S)

----------DM(D)----------

------B2B(S)-DLP(S)-

AP(S)-----------------IF(A)

--------------T(A)-----------

My team instructions are:

Control, Balanced

Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Play out of defence, work ball into box, play narrower, higher defensive line, hassle opponents, lower tempo, stay on feet.

Only individual player instruction I have is for my AP to sit narrower. Does this look a tactic that could achieve what I'm aiming for or is there a glaring error or obvious omission? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

you may find you have loads of possession but not much 'effective possession' - many people set out to achieve '70%' possession but then state that they are not scoring goals or creating clear chances. If this is happening you may want to get rid of one of the instructions such as shorter passing or work ball into the box. That may allow a bit more freedom to be more creative.

my best possession based tactic was with Dortmund, normally averaging around 65%. Comfortably created 3-5 CCCs a game, dominated shots but did seem to get hit on the break occassionally via long ball from own half (Dortmund CBs are slow).

I was Standard/Control.

Retain Possession/Shorter Passing/Much Higher Defensive Line/Hassle Opponents/Play Narrow/Higher Tempo.

FB (s) / CD (d) / CD (d) / FB (a)

------------------------------

------CM (d) / DLP (s) --------

W(s)--------EG(a)-------IF (a)

-------------AF (a) ----------

There are individual player instructions too. Defensively players pass shorter, and take fewer risks with their passes. I work with a higher tempo and a very high line because i want my team very compact. A key to possession football is having players close to the ball, not only to keep it, but when you lose it, to win it back quickly. How quickly you win in back dictates how high your possession stats can be. Slow tempo means you're slow in possession and will struggle to create genuine chances. The only time i had below 60% in my first 15 games was Bayern away, we drew 2-2 and possession was 58-42 in my favor. 4 CCCs each with both their goals coming from corner set ups. Lewandowski has 14 in 14, which has been pleasing.

Possession tactics are made up of two elements; keeping the ball and winning the ball.

Keeping the ball is all about safe passing, risk free instructions and making the pitch big.

Winning the ball is about getting the ball back quickly with hard work and closing down.

Choose roles that perform easy passing and avoid ball players, playmakers and deeplying roles.

Choose roles with Defensive in the name to win back the ball (Defensive Forwards, Defensive Wingers, etc.)

Choose mostly Defend duties as they don't usually attempt through balls or run with the ball but, saying that, some movement to create a few passing triangles is required so a couple of support roles should be added.

The Control strategy would fit best and team instructions like play wide, hassle, low(er) tempo and the mantatory retain possession.

Pushing the defenisive line up helps winning the ball but there is an arguement for deep defensive line to increase passing options.

Off the top of my head, a quick and dirty formation:

----------SK(d)-----------

FB(d) CB(d) CB(d) FB(d)

-----------A(d)-----------

---BWM(d)---BWM(S)---

DW(s)------------ DW(d)

----------DF(d)----------

Following these instructings will increase your possession but you may never score again :)

heres an example of the style of play i was discussing - the scoreline isn't that flash, i wasn't happy with conceding 2 sloppy goals, but possession wise and offensively we were very strong. The 2nd image shows the shape, and how its kept through out the game - the third is interceptions. squeezing high, intercepting quickly and winning the ball back in the middle and attacking third, rather then the defensive third. For me this indicates ive managed to block the passing lanes and force the long ball from a defender within the first 20 seconds of opposition possession. this sort of pressure allows you to also break quicker, while maintaining a higher possession ratio.

DortmundvHerthaBSC_PitchSplit-2.png

DortmundvHerthaBSC_AnalysisPerformance.png

DortmundvHerthaBSC_AnalysisPerformance-2.png

Also, from what PeeKay said, are playmakers a bad thing in a possession system?

It depends how devoted you are to the ideal of possession above all else.

There's the illogical extreme of "Scoring a goal is bad, because it gives possession back to the other team" and PeeKay's setup is getting pretty close to that.

Generally playmakers would be considered a good thing in a possession system, because they'll play the killer balls that lead to your scoring chances. But those risky through balls may come at the expense of safe backwards or sideways passes.

Could you try an set a CB to Cover to atleast try an combat the sloppy balls over the top? Also, from what PeeKay said, are playmakers a bad thing in a possession system?
It depends how devoted you are to the ideal of possession above all else.

There's the illogical extreme of "Scoring a goal is bad, because it gives possession back to the other team" and PeeKay's setup is getting pretty close to that.

Generally playmakers would be considered a good thing in a possession system, because they'll play the killer balls that lead to your scoring chances. But those risky through balls may come at the expense of safe backwards or sideways passes.

Ive tinkered the player roles slightly which seems to have help the long ball situation. 1 utilized one defender on cover but at times he wont press hard enough if the striker drops off him. I think with subotic and hummels (both acceleration less then 10) its going to be facet of the game i can be exposed in. Both of those goals i conceded were from ping pong in the box after a corner!

you need playmakers. every team has play makers. i actually adjusted my EG(a) to an AP(s) to go along with the DLP (d) *note do change DLP to support when looking for goal. Their movement is unique, they want the ball and they rotate possession well. With the DLP i use personal instructions 'Shorter Passing & fewer risky passes' to ensure hes not searching for a killer ball every touch... but i do want him to have that ability. Sahin as DLP has been averaging around 110 passes per game at around 85-90%. On top of that he has his 1-2 key passes too. these are normally balls slid in to my overlapping LB as everything has become quite narrow with the IF.

you have to find a balance between goals and possession, and you have to find somewhere to go with that possession. if you just want to "keep it" you will struggle against teams that press heavily because your players will never look forward and you will get pinned. Barcelona still play "long balls". If opposition front 3 has squeezed them, you will see Valdes get it and play a 40 yard diagonal that will hit either the opposite FB or the 7/11 on the chest. this breaks the line, takes 3-4 opposition players out the game and they can now keep the ball in an area of the park that leads to goal scoring opportunities. its all about possession with penetration and intent.

heres an example of the style of play i was discussing - the scoreline isn't that flash, i wasn't happy with conceding 2 sloppy goals, but possession wise and offensively we were very strong. The 2nd image shows the shape, and how its kept through out the game - the third is interceptions. squeezing high, intercepting quickly and winning the ball back in the middle and attacking third, rather then the defensive third. For me this indicates ive managed to block the passing lanes and force the long ball from a defender within the first 20 seconds of opposition possession. this sort of pressure allows you to also break quicker, while maintaining a higher possession ratio.

Looks interesting, I've never managed to get a successful 4-2-3-1 on FM14. Would you mind PM'ing me a download link to your tactic so I could have a look, maybe get some inspiration? Thanks

Archived