4-3-3 without wingers

3 strikers

3 midfielders

4 defenders

I have played this formation in Football Manager 2012 a lot. It worked great with Sochaux and it was my best game in FM ever. In 2013 i wanted play more defensively so i did not even try it. I would like create this formation again in FM14, but whenever i try, it becomes a disaster. Is it possible that ME was changed radically changed since 2012 and it is no longer possible play like this ?

I remember few settings: Fluid and Control. Very high defensive line. Slow tempo. Aggresive tackling. Short passing.

I got one tall striker as Target man and 2 fast strikers (i do not remember role)

Two creative midfielders (i do not remember role), and one defensive (i do not remember role)

Fast central defenders and fullbacks with very good crossing.

Can you help me recreate this tactic ? I would like understand the basics of this formation and how cover the weaknesses. It may not be exactly the same tactic as in 2012, but it has to work properly. Thank you ; )

So i am trying one tactic, but is not good as i expected.

2014_02_09_00001.jpg

Against strong opponent

2014_02_09_00003.jpg

2014_02_09_00004.jpg

Against weaker opponent

2014_02_09_00005.jpg

I also won some matches, but i am not satisfied with the style of game .. usually i have the possesion but i need create more clear cut chances ... i would appreciate any ideas

I am probably the last person you would ask about tactics lol, but I would maybe remove retain possession and add pass into space. I play a 4-3-1-2 and I had retain possession but I felt it stopped me making quite a few clear cut chances so I removed it and added pass into space an now I seem to make much more clear cut chances.

14 Shouts............that's a load. I would try the tactic with minimal(If any shouts) and then see what shouts need added.You don't have a single creator in that team either. I would get those CM's roles changed so you have a creator for your forwards. I also don't like the roles for your forwards tbh. I would look at those.

My guess is better teams are shredding your highline pressing game and small teams are just sitting back and absorbing the pressure you place on them. The whole point of control is that the line drops down a bit to try and draw defensive teams out, but by pushing up you're just compressing everything in the middle and you have no space to make anything work. Maybe change your tactic for bigger teams away from home.

I can't see your DL, but I assume he's set on an attack duty? If so, then it's really easy to attack your formation with a quick long pass upfront to a winger who will be alone on the flank. Even on a support duty, he'll try to join sometimes the attack, so you might be still uncovered.

You have nobody attacking from deep and you have only an AF(A) upfront. Try changing your roles and duties. Do the same with the midfield, because you have 2 CM(S) who won't join the attack very much (and this is quite well shown in the heat map).

Basically, this is what you need to do: get someone who protects your defence in midfield, get someone who supports your defence but who can link up play as well, get someone who can join the attack, get someone who drops deep from the attack to link up play and I would try to ask one of my strikers to go wider and stretch the opposition for midfielders and strikers who need to move into the space.

I'm no tactical genius, but you formation can't work as there are too many gaps in it. I'm sure someone else will go further with their analysis.

Thank you guys, very helpful advices here. I considered everything you have recommend me. I removed all shouts and watched matches in fullmatch view (great way to creating a tactic). So there is advanced playmaker in midfield who supports attackers, one midfielder with defend duty and one who is creative too but he sit on his position. I had to changed role/duty of my fullbacks and even set them "close down less" - my sides are much more solid now.

I qualified with Czech Republic to World Cup in Brazil and here won the group (Netherland,Paraguay, Costa Rica). In second round beat United States and then lost against Argentina in extra time (i could have won :( )

2014_02_10_00003.jpg

2014_02_10_00004.jpg

I think I played quite well, but i will try this tactic in club for a whole season and then see.

I am playing my second season with the tactic i showed in my previous post. The first season was great:

2014_02_16_00002.jpg

But the second season in Ligue 2 is awful. My team conceded a lot of goals (i am worst in the league).

2014_02_16_00011.jpg

Interesting is that I play much better in away than in home.

2014_02_16_00007.jpg

2014_02_16_00008.jpg

I got the possesion and even clear cut chances in matches but my defense is very very bad.

2014_02_16_00009.jpg

2014_02_16_00006.jpg

I know that my team is not favourite in this league, but I think that results should be better.

2014_02_16_00005.jpg

2014_02_16_00004.jpg

2014_02_16_00003.jpg

In this moment i dont know if this bad results are because of my players are not good enough in new league or the tactic is bad.

Archived