Strangely good player

There's a bloke playing for Colchester on my save who came to my attention when I looked at the goalscoring charts. I checked his history and he's your typical lower league journeyman striker, the most he's scored in a season was 9 (as I remember) until the 2013/14 season (game start) when he's netted 42 goals in 40 league appearances. The rest of the chart was fairly normal and as you'd expect ranging from 30 ish down but somehow the game and the way Colchester have set up have turned this guy into the league one Messi :D

Anyone noticed these sudden freaks pop up now and again?

Yeah, I have had a couple of these in my youth team over the years, they just can't stop scoring, even when they go out on loan, despite having rubbish attributes and very little PA.

Just seems to happen every now and then, whenever I get one I never let go of them until they are at least 22 and then will only sell them to a good home.

The only experience I have of this is on FM10 where I signed a Croatian journeyman to play for me in League Two. He just never stopped scoring as I made it up the levels -- eventually into the Premier League. I had him and Stephen Dobbie up front from League One until I won the Champions League and they scored over 400 goals together. Dobbie was rated as a good Premier League player if I recall so his success was explainable, but this bloke just had absolutely no standout stats and was continually rated as being a good Championship player and yet he was an absolutely dominant player at all levels.

This is making me feel guilty for not fully remembering his name, but it was definitely Ivan...

I've seen some Nigerian striker called Odion Ighalo score 37 goals in 38 games for Granada on loan during one of my saves. The most remarkable thing was, the very next season after he went back to his parent club Udinese he couldn't hit a barn door, scoring just 8 in 30 games. He wasn't much better in the subsequent seasons either, barely able to reach double figures.

There are these freaks of nature that come along every so often and everything that needs to, aligns to make them perform at a level far in excess of what you would expect.

Way back in the day Orri Freys Oskarsson was far better than he actually looked.

"Super" Kyle Wilson ruled the lower leagues along time ago.

Cisse was simply immense at the top of a very average, (I'm being polite here), Liverpool team in FM09 (I think it was FM09).

Sometimes things just fit perfectly to what works.

At the moment my FM14 game is being completely dominated by a young Chelsea newgen.

I seem to remember the "technique" stat having something to do with this?

A striker called Jamil Adam was available on a free on FM12 I think. There are now Facebook pages and forum threads dedicated to him because of his FM performances.

I signed him and he scored 20+ every season for over 10 seasons. In this time, we went from BSS to Premier League (yes FM12 was quite easy).

I couldn't work out why, as all his stats weren't great. However, it turns out having a high "technique" attribute was the cause.

I do not understand this attribute. What is the point in someone having a whole host of "technical" attributes such as passing, crossing etc, but then having a single "technique" stat??

Technique is basically the ability to strike the ball cleanly, those other attributes you mention should always be looked at in combination with technique. You could look at it as a guide to how often a player will be able to make the most of other high technical stats.

Technique is basically the ability to strike the ball cleanly, those other attributes you mention should always be looked at in combination with technique. You could look at it as a guide to how often a player will be able to make the most of other high technical stats.

This still doesn't make any sense to me. Surely having a finishing attribute of 18 takes into account the technique of his shooting, the limits of his ability, and thus the probability of him making the most of the chance. Why does it now have to be combined with a 'technique' stat.

How can someone have low passing, shooting and crossing stats, but have a high technique stat, or vice versa?

Well, here's his attributes:

BG4mbxx.jpg

I notice his physical stats along with teamwork, work rate and off the ball are all pretty good for this league.

If he's being played as an attacking targetman, I can imagine him being a bit of a beast. He has a great first touch, so lob a ball to him and he should come out on top against defenders.

However, his long shots are very poor, and his mental attributes mean he shouldn't always be in great position upon receiving the ball...

Passing, crossing etc may also encompass the players ability to pick a good pass, to see an opportunity to open up some space with a good ball, to spot when an early low cross whipped into the box would be a good option or when to float one over. You could hit a perfect cross technically without it being the right cross for that particular situation. That's just my interpretation of it.

This still doesn't make any sense to me. Surely having a finishing attribute of 18 takes into account the technique of his shooting, the limits of his ability, and thus the probability of him making the most of the chance. Why does it now have to be combined with a 'technique' stat.

How can someone have low passing, shooting and crossing stats, but have a high technique stat, or vice versa?

I didn't program it mate... ;)

his mental attributes mean he shouldn't always be in great position upon receiving the ball...

13 off the ball?

Passing, crossing etc may also encompass the players ability to pick a good pass, to see an opportunity to open up some space with a good ball, to spot when an early low cross whipped into the box would be a good option or when to float one over. You could hit a perfect cross technically without it being the right cross for that particular situation. That's just my interpretation of it.

That's where your mental stats come in. Very few situations (if any) in FM are down to one stat.

From my observations, technique is the ability to place balls from different angles.

For instance in the context of shooting:

finishing = ability to consistently get a shot on goal

composure = ability to hit the target

technique = ability to place the ball into corners of the net

I could be wrong, but these definitions have always worked for me.

Way back in the day Orri Freys Oskarsson was far better than he actually looked.

I loved that guy, he scored 1 of only 2 halfway line goals I have ever seen on FM.

So what's technique then? The consistency with which a player can execute the move?

Imagine 3 different chances:

1. Ball rolling slowly in front of the striker

2. Ball rolling slowing but behind the striker

3. Ball bouncing waist height behind the striker.

For me, those finishes would require escalating levels of technique. For me it is about affecting the movement of the ball when it ISN'T in an ideal position, so the finishing ability of a striker with high technique would be able to use his finishing in more situations. Think Aguero v Bent in a pure "finish-off." Aguero could execute chances 1, 2 and 3, whereas Bent would struggle with 2 and 3.

This strikes me as something the decision stat should encompass?

From my observations, technique is the ability to place balls from different angles.

For instance in the context of shooting:

finishing = ability to consistently get a shot on goal

composure = ability to hit the target

technique = ability to place the ball into corners of the net

I could be wrong, but these definitions have always worked for me.

Nope IMO.

Technique is how cleanly a player strikes the ball, something like a % modifier as to how often he hits the ball where is trying to hit it.

Finishing is the ability to hit the target.

Composure is is the ability to keep calm and take time rather than just blasting a shot anywhere.

When it comes to passes/shots etc it is far from black & white with lots of attributes playing a role as to whether the player completes what he is trying to achieve.

EDIT

As for why that player does well: He is strong with reasonable physical attributes (Balance is very important for a ST in my experience). He is also a determined hark working player which along with his first touch/off the ball will mean he gets in lots of good scoring positions and when he does he strikes his shots fairly cleanly.

I also suspect he probably has a high consistency hidden attribute which means he plays to the best of his ability most of the time.

He is also possibly somewhat two footed which will mean he often overperforms compared to his attributes.

Archived