Bug? Player refusing to discuss contract

I have a 20 year old homegrown player who lists me amongst his favorite personnel.

It's coming up on the winter transfer window and I want to give him a new contract.

Unfortunately every time I go to do so for the last two months I get the 'Isn't interested in discussing a contract' message.

Now, we've all seen this before when a player is angry or you've treated them badly or screwed up negotiations, but none of that has happened here.

Earlier in the season when I saw he wouldn't re-sign, under concerns it said he wanted the same wages as another winger I gave a new contract to. Fine. But he never asked for this and I was never given an opportunity to give him those wages.

Since then its said 'considering his options'. But its been like that for two months.

I also never got one of those messages from the agent when they ask for a new deal because of a fine performance or a rejected transfer bid.

My club rep is high and while he's a very good player, he's not better than several others at the club, so its not like he thinks he's too good for my team. I have plenty of money available under my wage cap so I can certainly afford to give him a new deal.

Anyone seen this happen? I'm almost wondering if there's a bug where he should have asked for a new deal at some point but didn't, so now he thinks I refused to give him a new deal when that never happened.

It's extra frustrating since I can't get any more information on why he won't resign, since I can't ask him that and I can't negotiate and the message doesn't say why.

Ambitious player (maybe with low loyalty) who wants to play for a bigger club or in a different league.

Seen it several times myself.

No, I checked all his personality attributes in FMScout, they are all middle range, his loyalty is above average and his ambition isn't particularly high. He hasn't said anything about wanting to move either (like the whole chat where he requests a transfer). I've played 12 seasons and haven't had a single situation like this without warning signs or indicators ahead of time.

I had this was a HG player. He just returned from a loan spell and was "Considering his options" for around 2 months. I continued to play him and it turned to a positive message and he was then interested in signing a new deal.

I think there's a lack of information as to why they are considering their options, but in my case I can see it as realistic.

-Player returns from loan after impressing at a big club.

-Waits to see whether he plays once he returns to his club.

-Gets regular playing time. Becomes optimistic about his future.

I think the agent could have said, "Player X is going to wait to see whether he gets a chance at XXXXX before he enters talks for a new deal."

Not sure if your scenario is similar. Is he playing regularly?

I'm managing Tenerife, but this is 2027. I've finished in a Champions League spot for the last 4-5 years, won a league title, 2 Spanish Cups and have worldwide rep. The player's rep is only National. He's started 12 matches and come on as a sub in 6 others in less than half a season.

While I'm annoyed I'm likely going to lose him, potentially for nothing, I'm more annoyed that I can't get any information on why. I'd be willing to accept that sometimes players just want to move on, but the fact the game isn't telling me why feels like a bug.

How long ago did he sign his current contract?

On his profile, can you not talk to him and discuss his concerns?

No, there is absolutely no option to talk to him about this. His original deal was signed 2 1/2 years ago.

The transfer window is open and a bunch of big sides have offered him contracts. He still refuses to discuss a contract with me. His morale still says 'Considering his options'

He just signed a deal with PSG. For significantly less than what I would have been willing to offer him and significantly less than what he's worth.

It looks like it is exactly the same amount as the player that it briefly said he wanted the same money as, before he switched to 'considering his options'. He never actually asked me for this money and he never would negotiate a deal.

This is why I think there's a bug where the message saying that he wanted a matching deal never happened, and the game just registered it as me rejecting it.

I'd suggest looking in bugs forum to see if there's something similar, and if not, then make a thread of your own. Seems a bit odd that he is "considering his options" but you cannot talk to him to find out why..

The only thing I can think of is that it was triggered by him wanting to match the other player's wages, and you didnt go and offer him a contract when he was saying that on his profile.. Might get a better response in bugs forum though

Did you see if your captain could talk to him?

Either way if you have a save before he leaves for PSG, then you should start a thread in the bugs forum like Rinso said.

Yeah I tried that, and there was no option to have the captain talk to him.

I started the thread and kept the save. Too late now I'm not going back but would like to see what happened.

Archived