How many games should youngsters play each season?

So I have quite a few young players with high potential, the board want me to focus on developing young players as part of the philosophy. I know there will be many factors affecting how much I should play these players but roughly how much do you guys use your youngsters for maximum benefit?

Let's say for the following ranges of age and ability:

-15/16years and 1 star CA

Just a few cameos in cups and end of season dead rudders?

-17/18 years and 1.5/2 stars

Maybe 5 Starts and a few sub appearances when winning?

-19-21 years

About 15 starts and a load from the bench?

This is what I think is okay, am I right? What do you do? Also at roughly what age should a player become a regular starter (80% of matches)?

Well, since experience is not represented really well into the game, I'd say that the age they can become starters is as soon as they are ready for it. The sooner the better as well if they have high potential.

The only thing representing experience at the moment is consistency, which is the only hidden stat that increases. But nothing stops a youngster from being generated with high consistency from the very start.

Well, since experience is not represented really well into the game, I'd say that the age they can become starters is as soon as they are ready for it. The sooner the better as well if they have high potential.

The only thing representing experience at the moment is consistency, which is the only hidden stat that increases. But nothing stops a youngster from being generated with high consistency from the very start.

So basically if he is good enough play him? I didn't know if it was possible to over-use young players and exhaust them or slow development. I managed to get an academy graduate CM who is already 2 star CA at 17, just throw him in at the deep end?

So basically if he is good enough play him? I didn't know if it was possible to over-use young players and exhaust them or slow development. I managed to get an academy graduate CM who is already 2 star CA at 17, just throw him in at the deep end?

If he performs at that level, then yes. But give him a break at the first sign he's getting jaded. FM isn't nearly as punishing as it would be IRL, (eg, burning out, inexperience, etc)

I think you can play them as much as you like without negative consequences. In fact, the more you play them the more they improve. I remember reading that their average ratings will have an impact on their development, but I don't remember if it was from a good source.

If it gets to the point where they require rests, or you get news items about their jadedness etc, you're playing them too often.

It changes based on the player themselves, rather than just their ages.

I've had a 15 year old manage 50 games a season and I've had other youths who couldn't manage 20.

If it gets to the point where they require rests, or you get news items about their jadedness etc, you're playing them too often.

It changes based on the player themselves, rather than just their ages.

I've had a 15 year old manage 50 games a season and I've had other youths who couldn't manage 20.

Woah, I guess I don't need to be so worried about them tiring quickly. I'll just keep an eye on fitness and form etc. thanks!

I think you can play them as much as you like without negative consequences. In fact, the more you play them the more they improve. I remember reading that their average ratings will have an impact on their development, but I don't remember if it was from a good source.

I can't find the thread but I remember Cleon clearing this up. I don't think rating makes any difference at all, but if the youth player did something amazing like score a hattrick they can gain an instant +1 boost to finishing or composure attributes potentially. But actually just playing well won't make them grow faster than playing badly.

I can't find the thread but I remember Cleon clearing this up. I don't think rating makes any difference at all, but if the youth player did something amazing like score a hattrick they can gain an instant +1 boost to finishing or composure attributes potentially. But actually just playing well won't make them grow faster than playing badly.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

In my current save (managing in Italian Serie C1/A at the moment) i have 17yrs old striker with potential to be good Serie A player.

In the first 11 games of the season, he has started 7 at F9 role. Already scored 7 goals (one hattrick). I think that will be only good for his development.

I have taken a habit of having at least one youngster as regular starter every season, if there is one with good enough potential.

I never play them in all matches though, but then again, most of my squad doesn't play in all matches, but i rotate quite a lot. Only start with players over 95% condition whenever possible.

In my current save (managing in Italian Serie C1/A at the moment) i have 17yrs old striker with potential to be good Serie A player.

In the first 11 games of the season, he has started 7 at F9 role. Already scored 7 goals (one hattrick). I think that will be only good for his development.

I have taken a habit of having at least one youngster as regular starter every season, if there is one with good enough potential.

I never play them in all matches though, but then again, most of my squad doesn't play in all matches, but i rotate quite a lot. Only start with players over 95% condition whenever possible.

I'm managing Bochum in 2. Bundesliga and playing two 17 year olds (DR & MC) regularly. I've just won the league and both players were instrumental in that. I like the idea of blooding a player or two each season. I think I do that unintentionally.

Okay, so there is no upper limit to how much I should use young players, but what is the minimum I should look to use them each season to help growth?

IMO, you should play them as much as you're able to, providing their condition is decent.

How about loaning them out? I feel nervous about loaning out 17 year olds, especially if it's to lower league clubs with rubbish coaches and training facilities.

How much extra benefit does a young talent get from going out on loan vs playing for your under 18s squad?

How about loaning them out? I feel nervous about loaning out 17 year olds, especially if it's to lower league clubs with rubbish coaches and training facilities.

How much extra benefit does a young talent get from going out on loan vs playing for your under 18s squad?

I find loans to be very hit and miss, but mostly miss. I can definitely do a better job than any team I might send them to, so I keep my best youngsters in and around the first team.

I find loans to be very hit and miss, but mostly miss. I can definitely do a better job than any team I might send them to, so I keep my best youngsters in and around the first team.

I have noticed the same thing, players on loan generally don't seem to improve at all. I guess you would need to get them to play on loan on a very good club in order to have any positive effect.

So, i only loan players who have at most average potential, just to get them off the wage bill. I keep possible stars at my own club and give them game time in own teams, first team if the player has enough ability.

That's the big question, isn't it? I go by match fitness, and try to keep them match fit from first team games (assuming they are not far behind the first choice)

Pretty much this. Constant match fitness is key to improving players.

Just remember this: if you are going to sub in a young player, make sure he gets 15 minutes or more of playing time in the match or it is pointless. If a player is going to play less than 15 minutes in a match it will do absolutely nothing for his development.

I have a 17 yo(just) who has played 2 full seasons in the EPL. He has a PA to be 'world class' and at the moment he is a 'good premier league player' so why wouldn't i play him.....He`s banging them in for fun and leaving my other strikers on the bench.

Training facilities do play a major part, but not as much as first team football. If the club you are loaning them to is going to be using them as a key player, and you know that in your own club they'd probably be mostly benefitting from training, then loan them out. But at the same time if you can give them first team football yourself, then you can maintain a lot of control over how they will develop attributes. It depends on what you are looking for.

Was also going to add that one thing to do is to use the notes function and keep track of how many first team games your players have been used in. I know with Ajax there are a lot of youngsters and I always try to have a rotation of one or two that get maybe 20 minutes or more when I am comfortably winning, as well as cup experience. It can be easy to overlook some of them if you have a large youth squad, and the notes function helps. Just set a reminder to check the appearances, etc. once a month or so, and also keep a note for each player documenting how they were used, etc.

Good idea with the notes, I'll start using that to keep track of the players.

This is only really a question for me with youngsters who are not good enough to play in my team, but have high potential - and a lot of my young players fall into this category. If they already have home grown status, I will loan them out - I've got feeder clubs in the Spanish and Dutch top leagues,as well as the English championship, where the facilities and standard of competition should be enough to ensure they progress.

If a player hasn't got home grown status then I need to carry on raising him myself. I tend to give these players starts in the league cup up until Q-final (& beyond if I get drawn v lower league opposition), the FA cup up until Q-final, and if they are eligible (because they are under 20 and been with me for over a year) I'll often play them in champions league games against weak opposition or in dead rubbers. I tend not to start them in league matches except possibly home games vs the weakest opposition, or at the end of the season if I have the league sewn up. I'll give them the odd sub appearance, benching them at home vs mediocre opponents or away vs weak opponents (essentially games where I am confident of being ahead after 70 mins). Overall the minimum I try to give say an 18-19 year old is 3-4 starts and 5-6 sub appearances a year, or a 20-21 year old 7-8 starts and 8-10 sub appearances (remember these are only the ones who aren't really good enough for my first team yet, those that are get treated like any other player of the same level).

This is only really a question for me with youngsters who are not good enough to play in my team, but have high potential - and a lot of my young players fall into this category. If they already have home grown status, I will loan them out - I've got feeder clubs in the Spanish and Dutch top leagues,as well as the English championship, where the facilities and standard of competition should be enough to ensure they progress.

If a player hasn't got home grown status then I need to carry on raising him myself. I tend to give these players starts in the league cup up until Q-final (& beyond if I get drawn v lower league opposition), the FA cup up until Q-final, and if they are eligible (because they are under 20 and been with me for over a year) I'll often play them in champions league games against weak opposition or in dead rubbers. I tend not to start them in league matches except possibly home games vs the weakest opposition, or at the end of the season if I have the league sewn up. I'll give them the odd sub appearance, benching them at home vs mediocre opponents or away vs weak opponents (essentially games where I am confident of being ahead after 70 mins). Overall the minimum I try to give say an 18-19 year old is 3-4 starts and 5-6 sub appearances a year, or a 20-21 year old 7-8 starts and 8-10 sub appearances (remember these are only the ones who aren't really good enough for my first team yet, those that are get treated like any other player of the same level).

Great post, thank you very much.

Archived