Players Might Be a Bit Knackered After This

I challenge you to do that high a level of physical activity for 5 days in a row and be happy at the end of it.

Running often upwards of 10 miles a game, putting huge stresses on your body, inevitably being battered around by other players. 5 games in 5 days would be enough to turn even the fittest players on the planet into complete wrecks.

If regular people can manage 7 marathons in 7 days, I think professional athletes can manage 10 miles per day for 5 days.

Vetinari and Chicha obviously have no idea about the physical intensity of a professional football match...

EDIT - on topic I've had this before. You've become a victim of your own success :)

Vetinari and Chicha obviously have no idea the physical intensity of a professional football match...

I'm not denying that. It would be very tough on anybody's body. But for a professional athlete to go on strike over it would be pathetic, but they probably would. Especially once you consider the appearance bonuses involved in football. I think if I were being paid £20,000 in bonuses just for playing I'd be able to put up with it.

I haven't got a massive squad as it but I got on

Rangers - Draw 2-2 - Strongest team

Brighton - Won 2-1

Oxford - Lost 3-0 players were dead

Bristol City- Won 2-1

Birmingham - Won 2-0 with a very odd tactic

Was literally trying to change players every game but my squad isn't that big, had a few injuries currently and only had three centre backs, so was switching formations and players every game but by the time I got to Oxford, every player was knackered

If regular people can manage 7 marathons in 7 days, I think professional athletes can manage 10 miles per day for 5 days.

There is a big difference between running a marathon and playing a football match. Obviously a marathon is a long distance, but the pace is slow and sustained unlike a football match which is fast and varied.

There is a big difference between running a marathon and playing a football match. Obviously a marathon is a long distance, but the pace is slow and sustained unlike a football match which is fast and varied.

Yes I understand that, but footballers are paid to train day in, day out, all day and while 5 matches in 5 days wouldn't be pleasant it would certainly be possible.

Yes I understand that, but footballers are paid to train day in, day out, all day and while 5 matches in 5 days wouldn't be pleasant it would certainly be possible.

Rubbish. Go try it and play the full 90 mins and see how you get on.

to the OP... Good set of results, considering the fixtures, does seem to be a case of you being a victim of your own success.... Too much too early, I think.. The fact that you're in the Championship, coupled with the cup successes has resulted in that...

Surprised no one has mentioned the mental side of the game. I'm guessing a marathon running doesn't need to be switched on every second like a footballer needs to be, especially in big games like European competition/cups/derbies. Playing 5 games in 5 days would not only be physically exhausting but mentally, too.

And to the OP, great set of results for that fixture congestion.

Played plenty of full length matches in my younger days, granted not premier league level! It's also well known that marathons are among the hardest of sports to prepare yourself for mentally, and concentrating for 3 or 4 hours at a time is going to be a lot harder than concentrating for 90 minutes with a nice 15 minute break in the middle.

Players just got too knackered in the end and a few more injuries to key players, got knocked out the europa and then the playoffs in the league but got 58m for my striker.

W4kjUpM.png

58M for a championship player? Not your fault but that's a bit much. Highest ever fee for a championship player was Bent and he cost less than half that.

The game has always been like this if you somehow manged to get into european football while playing in the lower leagues in England and doing well in the cups.

Usually first half of the season is fine, but as the european games and cup games get drawn other games are postponed and it continues like that until it ends up with a very difficult march/april.

Your options is to hope you'll pull through, have an unreasonably large squad from january onwards or to simply throw the capital cup & perhaps the FA Cup in the earlier rounds.

Gutted I lost in the playoffs and semis of every competition, my game just keeps following a three year cycle

First season(Prem) - top six, do really well, lose to lower league sides in the cups

Second season (Prem)- Can't win a game for love nor money get relegated

Third Season (champ)- In the Championsip, start dreadful then kick on, seem unbeatable in domestic and European cups, through to the semis of Europa, Fa and Captital One cups

Rinse and repeat, doesn't seem to matter what players I have this constantly seems to happen for the last nine years.

I had a similar problem just now in the Premiership, the last month was insane and nearly cost me the title. The last 6 or so games ALL had 2 days rest between them. So, better than your situation, but still very costly in terms of results. I had two finals (Europa league + FA Cup) and obviously that messed us up a bit. Next season I'm going to throw both domestic cup games in the first round, I really can do without this type of hassle and noone cares about the cups anyway. I think something needs to be done about this, there's no remedy and your team will struggle having to play games so often.

I had a similar problem just now in the Premiership, the last month was insane and nearly cost me the title. The last 6 or so games ALL had 2 days rest between them. So, better than your situation, but still very costly in terms of results. I had two finals (Europa league + FA Cup) and obviously that messed us up a bit. Next season I'm going to throw both domestic cup games in the first round, I really can do without this type of hassle and noone cares about the cups anyway. I think something needs to be done about this, there's no remedy and your team will struggle having to play games so often.

What exactly should they do? 2 days rest is absolutely normal, and there are far worse examples out there. If you're competing in all the tournaments at the end of the season, there are only so many days you can fit these games on. Think yourself lucky you got a realistic situation, and not something akin to what the OP got.

What exactly should they do? 2 days rest is absolutely normal, and there are far worse examples out there. If you're competing in all the tournaments at the end of the season, there are only so many days you can fit these games on. Think yourself lucky you got a realistic situation, and not something akin to what the OP got.

Right. It's just, it feels impossible to get a good string of results this way. I purposely threw the first League cup game to remedy this, but still had this incredibly tight schedule in April and May. It's the first time I've had such a tight schedule, but certainly not the first time I've gotten to the finals in two cups. 2 days rest for such a long period was a bit hard to stomach, luckily we had pretty much already won the league. Lost the Europa League final though.

Right. It's just, it feels impossible to get a good string of results this way. I purposely threw the first League cup game to remedy this, but still had this incredibly tight schedule in April and May. It's the first time I've had such a tight schedule, but certainly not the first time I've gotten to the finals in two cups. 2 days rest for such a long period was a bit hard to stomach, luckily we had pretty much already won the league. Lost the Europa League final though.

But in these cases, you either have the squad to cope with fighting on all fronts, or you don't. Real life teams struggle with this all the time. Don't really see how you can blame the game - you just need to either accept that you won't win them all, or deliberately build a squad that can.

How? You can only have so many players registered for each competition, and with a schedule like this you're gonna be messed up no matter what you do. Even with the fitness-friendliest training regime you will suffer a lot. I don't think it's "absolutely normal" as you say, this is the first time I've had such a tight schedule. Is the OP's situation absolutely normal too? No. So where do you draw the line for what is absolutely normal? I think something needs to be slightly tweaked here, the OP's situation should never have to happen.

to the OP... Good set of results, considering the fixtures, does seem to be a case of you being a victim of your own success.... Too much too early, I think.. The fact that you're in the Championship, coupled with the cup successes has resulted in that...

They don't seem to have a problem in sports like Basketball tbf.

While its not five games in five days they often play games on consecutive days or with just one days break inbetween: http://www.nba.com/bulls/schedule

How? You can only have so many players registered for each competition, and with a schedule like this you're gonna be messed up no matter what you do. Even with the fitness-friendliest training regime you will suffer a lot. I don't think it's "absolutely normal" as you say, this is the first time I've had such a tight schedule. Is the OP's situation absolutely normal too? No. So where do you draw the line for what is absolutely normal? I think something needs to be slightly tweaked here, the OP's situation should never have to happen.

The OP's shouldn't, yes, but I was saying yours was normal. 2 days rest in between matches is normal. As in it happens in real life. Teams play Sunday/Wednesday or Saturday/Tuesday very often when European competition is on. And Europa League teams play Thursday/Sunday. It gets exacerbated in FM because you get the possibility of a human manager leading a club to many competitions.

While its not five games in five days they often play games on consecutive days or with just one days break inbetween: http://www.nba.com/bulls/schedule

The worst you'd get in the NBA is five in seven, and those are 48 minute games (star players would play around 38/40). The only time they have ever played more than two games consecutively was the lock-out shortened season of 2011/12, when every team had two blocks of three. You get less knocks etc in basketball too (although it is a physical sport).

With basketball you also take into account how many times outs there are, and the stop start nature of close games, providing ample time to get breaks in.

Even a day off makes a huge difference for recovery time you'd think. Four in five with the third day off? Possible. Five matches in five days at EPL level? The quality of the 4th and 5th matches would be awful you'd suspect and the health of players would be at risk.

The OP's shouldn't, yes, but I was saying yours was normal. 2 days rest in between matches is normal. As in it happens in real life. Teams play Sunday/Wednesday or Saturday/Tuesday very often when European competition is on. And Europa League teams play Thursday/Sunday. It gets exacerbated in FM because you get the possibility of a human manager leading a club to many competitions.

Then I guess I've just been lucky the past 7 seasons with my team, and unlucky this last season? 2 days rest, prior to this season, was unheard of for me. I think it happened on ONE occasion. And I regularly get far in the Champions Cup as well and at least in one of the domestic cups.

I think the solution for me personally is to just purposely lose the first FA cup & League cup games. The board doesnt care about them much, and if there's a possibility that they can screw me out of a league title, the choice is quite easy.

Sports like basketball have rolling, unlimited substitutions. No player plays a full match.

Archived