Retraining positions

I have a DM who I'd like to train as a natural CM (he is accomplished currently) because I very rarely play a DM in my formation as it causes my formation to become lopsided and one winger become isolated. I still intend to play him in a somewhat defensive role such as CM(D) or BBM where tackling and marking etc will be important but I want him positioned slightly further up the pitch.

Two questions:

Will retraining him from accomplished to natural damage his CA or PA in any way? He's my best young talent and I don't want to see his stats drop or him go from 5 star to 4 star potential

Will he become less effective in the DM role once retained? (It would be handy to have him still able to play there for when I want to adopt a more defensive strategy)

I doubt it will damage his PA and I also don't think it will be possible for that to become his natural position (Not 100% sure on that). His main stars will be in his natural position so if it is possible for the CM to become natural for him then I guess he will have equal PA in both positions.

While you can get to natural in a trained position there is a few issues.

It can take four years, maybe more with low versatility and it's a stat I don't know how to figure out without using the editor, so it's a awful gamble trying.

Trained positions decay, so you need to keep the player in that new position to maintain it.

Two questions:

Will retraining him from accomplished to natural damage his CA or PA in any way? He's my best young talent and I don't want to see his stats drop or him go from 5 star to 4 star potential

Training a position won't affect CA, and PA is fixed and only gets damaged by a serious injury. By it not affecting CA I mean it won't cost CA points. But training him there will reduce the training he gets in other areas. I avoid this by reducing general training so players can learn a position and have heavy role training at the same time. (Professional guys rarely complain.)

If he goes from 5 star to 4 star it won't be from learning a position. Many factors go into star ratings so don't take much notice if a guy drops from 5 to 4, unless through injury.

Will he become less effective in the DM role once retained? (It would be handy to have him still able to play there for when I want to adopt a more defensive strategy)

No. He will never unlearn the DM position, but if you decide on retraining him to play as an advanced playmaker then it would reduce his effectiveness, eg. Doesn't training tackling. If you want him as a defensive midfielder who plays in CM then keep him training that role.

Remember there isn't a great deal of difference between Accomplised and Natural. As Linkoping said just playing him there week in week out will get him to learn it. If he hasn't learnt it by a season of regular play then train it. If he's rotation or backup then I'd train him in that position from the start.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll get started on training him to be a MC now then

Training a position won't affect CA, and PA is fixed and only gets damaged by a serious injury. By it not affecting CA I mean it won't cost CA points. But training him there will reduce the training he gets in other areas. I avoid this by reducing general training so players can learn a position and have heavy role training at the same time. (Professional guys rarely complain.)

Could you clarify what you mean by this please? I'm not following. You reduce general training for the whole squad then hike up his role training? Won't that have a negative effect on other squad members and also prevent his general stats rising (ie he only receives training in his specific role and no other less important stats rise as a result?)

Thanks for all the responses, I'll get started on training him to be a MC now then

Could you clarify what you mean by this please? I'm not following. You reduce general training for the whole squad then hike up his role training? Won't that have a negative effect on other squad members and also prevent his general stats rising (ie he only receives training in his specific role and no other less important stats rise as a result?)

No, just for him.

No, it won't have a negative effect on my team as a whole as they all have heavy role training.

I want my players training in a certain role. I don't care much for general training. It's normally left on "Low" and either Tactics or Team Blending, besides Fitness in preseason.

Every player is training in the role I want them, therefore can handle heavy role workload with it still remaining on medium overall. Some players can handle heavy role workload and learning a position with it remaining on medium and no complaints.

Archived