Trouble scoring in 1-on-1 situations... (FM14)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is dagenham_dave employed by SI?

How does he even have time to play, constantly being on her to pounce and jump on anybody who even insinuates something negative about the match engine.

It's hilarious. But "just pop over to the tactics forums guys."...

Tactics have absolutely nothing to do with the conversion rates of 1v1. Anyone who's played football at a decent level can attest to that.

A world-class striker is alone with the keeper, straight on. Not a defender for miles. Him MISSING those consistently is NOT a tactics issue. If it was a tactics issue, there wouldn't even be created CCC's in the first place. Is Football Manager not supposed to be a realistic simulation of real life? Then why drag "tactics" into a discussion of open CCC's being missed often, and typically with finishes that look comically bad.

And to those saying that SI is working on fixing the corners.. Guess what, EVERY single build of this game so far has had massive corner exploits. With EVERY patch SI proclaim that it's "fixed", only for people to discover NEW exploits pop up after playing a fair share of games. Well "exploits" is harsh. The issues are evident even leaving the corner instructions on default. Ridiculous.

I totally agree. Conversion rate has nothing to do with tactics. I started a Barcelona save just to test this thing. Managed to put together decent tactic, creating a lot of chances. Putting Messi up front I've noticed that although he scores(like a lot) he needs way to much one-on-ones situations to do it. This is a problem, a real one, and I'm sure the last patch will fix it putting an end to the whole CCC conversion drama.

@ C-Mon - can you post your 4231 tactic in your thread in TTF?

From the 4312 one that you posted - I would suggest it is the usual problem with 'Attacking' (mentality) tactics - they create lots of chances by simply battering the opposition - but because (by your own statement in that thread) they all 'park the bus' the chances are actually snatched / rushed ones (even if the game (incorrectly) defines them as CCC / HC). There also (to me) looks like you have too many runners / finishers in that setup, with no-one playmaking from deep to try and finesse a goal. However, I should add that the 4312 formation is not one that I have tried personally so I may be talking rubbish.

If that were me, I'd make the AM into an AP(S), one of the strikers into a support role and drop the strategy to control (or lower).

Done and done.

1. I play a weekly game between my U19's and my Reserves. It is specifically designed to keep fringe players fit, but also to ensure that my strikers who might be in poor form, can smash in a few goals. Confidence.

I've come to discover that I have an extra problem here due to having started out with a semi-pro background. They just don't like my team-talks, and they don't like playing for me. Luckily, some key players like Shaw, Romero and Lallana are warming up to me and it's

2. If a player, (and this is more so for attacking flair players), is not bang on fitness, (and mft), then I don't play him. They are fickle creatures and sometimes that 5% can make all the difference. If I have to play him, then maybe I give him a different duty so as not to make him the one in position to take/make these chances. he might be ok running around and making a nuisance for the last half hour, but do I really want to rely on him with a 1v1 that is my only chance of 3 points? No, he can go on support duty and I will attack elsewhere As a result I try to spell my important players and even leave them out of games all-together. Fitness and Match fitness and duties.

5. Morale is obviously important too, but more so than morale, (at least in terms of if a player is happy or unhappy), I think that fine margins within a game can also be vital. If the player is feeling pressure or nervous, or.... (it's not overconfident, what is it.....), can't remember now. But I think that both overaall morale and especially, (in-game morale), can also have a big impact, (and I think that's right). Morale/Team-talks.[/Quote]

My general rule is to, as far as possible, avoid fielding a player with below 94% match fitness. Otherwise, much of my selection is down to recent form which in combination creates a lot of rotation.

3. PPM's. There are some really snazzy ppm's that used in conjunction with the right players in the right situations can yield decent results. PPM's.[/Quote]

Currently have all my midfield-and up players trying to learn how to place shots. Those that already have that move, lob the keeper. I don't like that I have to do this though.

4. Tempo can be quite important too. If you are fizzing the ball about with lots of movement, it might very well be easier to create the 1v1 in the first place. As the same time however, you might expect to convert that opportunity less often than you would if you were playing at a lower tempo. Tempo.

You're not the first to suggest this, and I've had some success with keeping the same tempo but giving up possession. I'm not happy about it, but while it generates FEWER chances, it also generates a larger variety. That, and while the 1v1's are still mostly being wasted, the others are scored surprisingly frequent.

Whether it's a [problem or not, I hope you are not going to be too upset if things don't change much in terms of 1v1. It's not a new problem.

If you're talking "new" as in "new for this version", I see what you mean. Otherwise, I've never experienced it before, and I've been playing the games since the mid-days of Championship Manager.

If you're talking "new" as in "new for this version", I see what you mean. Otherwise, I've never experienced it before, and I've been playing the games since the mid-days of Championship Manager.

That's the problem with this forum C-Mon. Even if you don't encounter things, you become "aware" of them because others spend so long complaining about them. There have always been issues with 1v1's because it's either too easy or too hard and seemingly it's not something that is easy to fix without something else being affected. I can't talk about recent issues, but there were certainly issues with more historic issues.

Currently have all my midfield-and up players trying to learn how to place shots. Those that already have that move, lob the keeper. I don't like that I have to do this though.

Whoooooaaa there boy. :lol:

Places shots used to be brilliant. It is far less weighted now I think. I have 1 player who has places shots, (and another ppm), and he is my 1v1 king.

But equally I have another player who has places shots (with a different ppm), and he is a flippin disaster.

The ppm in itself is not the answer, (if there is an answer). I think it is more a mix of ppm's and stats, (and possibly even stat balance). that is important. Having everyone with places shots as a ppm would be a mistake in my opinion, (certainly midfielders).

The ppm in itself is not the answer, (if there is an answer). I think it is more a mix of ppm's and stats, (and possibly even stat balance). that is important. Having everyone with places shots as a ppm would be a mistake in my opinion, (certainly midfielders).

Ah, I meant the offensive midfielders and onwards as those are the guys who get into 1v1 situations, primarily. Just an experiment, really.

@Jimbokav

I ran another first EPL season today playing single as Norwich.Results are a little bit better but in the same area http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=228459862

ManUtd won the title, Kagawa was their top scorer with 12 goals :|

Yeah but maybe that is an issue with Man Utd, (I honestly don't know). That actually looks far better than the previous one.

3 different Man Utd players sharing the goals.

3 different Chelsea players sharing the goals.

3 different Liverpool players sharing the goals.

Arsenal playing with 1 main striker only have 1 entry, (and he is near the top despite not being great).

The biggest issue in both of those pics for me is that Chamakh hit double figures. Ridiculous. :lol:

Top-scorer getting 19, (which is better), and are we surprised that Crouchy is doing well? No, I'm not.

Interestingly, where are Long and the Dutch bloke?

Ah, I meant the offensive midfielders and onwards as those are the guys who get into 1v1 situations, primarily. Just an experiment, really.

Well don't let me put you off, but my guy who it't not working with is my AP who plays in the AMC position. It looks like he is constantly facing a Super-GK, while my SC, (who is the other bloke with the ppm), just pings them in.

Good luck with it though. (I'm trying to look at "tries first time shots", because it didn't exist when I played before so it's completely new to me.

Well sharing is good, but it seems not for the strikers.

RvP scored just 6 goals from open play in 24 EPL matches, scored 4 penalty kicks

S Etoo scored 9 goals in 28 EPLM matches

Sturidge scored 12 in 35 EPL matches, but he also played on the wing

WBA got Toivonen so Long was used as backup, I was managing RvW,got injured 3-4 months in january,scored just 7 goals.

• 2 weeks later...

Tactics have absolutely nothing to do with the conversion rates of 1v1.

Untrue, as they influence the nature of the 1v1, and you'll find tons of threads in which players vented frustrations in previous iterations.

One of the most common schticks used to encourage tons of through balls to a lone forward from central positions. Whilst this resulted in a ton of one on one situations (in particular in earlier iterations such as FM 2008 due to marking issues in older MEs), their nature meant that the forward often had to rush it (was starting to get crowded and closed down by the defenders), their nature meant that he didn't have time to pick up the ball but was forced to turn around and take a shot – or that he was running straight from no distance at the keeper rather from an angled position, which puts the advantage immediately towards the keeper.

There are one on ones, and then there are one on ones, and your tactics influence their nature. The history of FM has shown they do, as did frustrations prior.

Archived