Team underperforming a lot

Hello all,

I'm in my second season with Southampton and I am really starting to struggle. We started the season off awfully, and although I have recovered somewhat, we are still nowhere near as good as I think we should be. We have a very capable squad, they just seem to make stupid mistakes and are lacking something going forward and defending. I just can't put my finger on what's wrong. I thought I would come here as I have made threads in the past and recieved a lot of help. At the end of the season I am hoping to have a new tactic, and then make new signings for the new system.

This is my current squad, a lot of the names should be very familiar. Balanta is probably going at the end of the season.

9b1981b2928990f97fb8038326d89cf7.png

My current tactic

9e4559fa0e7e96388c20be2c598d149b.png

And some other information

bedef78c3751ed65a98a803e195e9d30.png

If there are any other screens people would like to see just let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Looks like with your fullbacks on support and no DM you are leaving to much space for just 2 CBs to cover especially playing a easily counter-able formation (not forgetting work rate being your worst attribute so your CMs might being getting back too slowly) so try having th fullbacks on defend

Looks like with your fullbacks on support and no DM you are leaving to much space for just 2 CBs to cover especially playing a easily counter-able formation (not forgetting work rate being your worst attribute so your CMs might being getting back to slow), so try having th fullbacks on defend

Hm, really? I have quite attacking full backs.

Do you think dropping a cm/too cms back to DM would be bad?

Surprisingly that thread says that the combination of T(A), BWM(D) and DLP(S) should work okay....

Will have a bit more of a look more. The main three players I'd use in that triangle are Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Ward-Prowse so I want to build to their strengths

T(A), BWM(D) & DLP(S) can work sometimes - you may lack runners though - you could potentially swap the BWM & DLP duties around - also you could get that CF dropping and linking up as a support duty. Finally you need some proper overlapping width on the left flank.

Archived