It's a Bloody Big Deal!!!

Leaf_Fan_85

After a tumultuous 2012 season, new TFC Chairman Tim Lieweike promised massive changes to the club in 2013 and beyond.

He brought in a new GM (DOF for those across the pond) and promised some of the biggest names in football, from Carlos Tevez, to Falcao and even Diego Forlan would don the red, white and sometimes grey of Toronto FC.

This didn't happen, but he did bring in Jermaine Defoe, Michael Bradley and even Julio Cesar.....yes that Julio Cesar.

He kept his coaching staff in tact, assuring all fans in Toronto that Ryan Nelsen was the man for the job.

He promised the playoffs, and even subtly guaranteed a championship.

They took out ads, saying Defoe, Bradley and Cesar captures were Bloody Big Deals, and offered half price seasons tickets after a record number of people returned theirs and vowed never to return.

So many of you may ask, why am I here?

The answer is simple, Ryan Nelsen hasn't got a clue on how to run things.

That's why I'm here, to change the game of football forever, to do the impossible, and that, ladies and gentlemen is simple...I'm going to make a Canadian team the best team in the world!

Author's Note:

Running DB 14.0, unfortunately started just before the update. Have both manager2010's Canadian Soccer Pyramid and and Blue Lou's new USA pyramid running. Full load of Canada, USA and the top leagues around the world, namely Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, England, Germany, Spain France and Greece, probably a few more, just can't think of them right now :)

October 31, 2012

"Toronto FC just blew it again. How can these guys call themselves professionals? I swear to all that is holy, if these guys ever wish to hire me, my asking price would start at 12.5 million."

"Lito, you're so full of it. Like TFC would ever hire you."

"Hey man, I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying."

This was your typical Saturday afternoon after a week of work, school and frustrating football watching. My friends and I have been long time supporters of the game of football, and when TFC were born circa 2007, we couldn't have been more excited.

Immediately we joined up with one of the "Ultras". A group of fans who had bought tickets right behind the goal who quickly named themselves the Red Patch Boys. These fans, young and old, made every attempt to make every TFC game at BMO Field feel like a European atmosphere. Everything from organizing pub walks, to banging of the drums and vuvuzelas (remember those) to even handing out chant sheets to fans entering the stadium. They sought to make BMO Field and Toronto the most difficult place to play in the MLS.

The atmosphere was fantastic...to start. The fans made life on the pitch miserable to visitors. They cheered every successful pass and collectively groaned whenever the Reds made it agonizingly close attempt at goal.

It took a few games for the boys in Red to score their first goal, but when they did...well to say it caused an uproar is an understatement. At the 24th minute on a match of May 12, 2007, Dichio scored, and it caused the fans to throw the promotional plastic seat cushions onto the pitch, causing a delay. From then on, every match at the 24th minute mark, the fans chant the name "Dan, Dan Dan-ny Dichio" to honour the first goalscorer in club history.

From there though, the club saw a major decline. Mo Johnstone was finally sacked, and Aron Winter took control. After his dismissal Kevin Pasyne, who had rebuilt D.C. United into a proper club came to TFC, and was immediately let go after some horrid results.

Then came Tim Leiweke. The man famously held responsible for bringing Beckham to America.

He had a vision, to bring in stars, regardless of price. And that's when I had had enough.

"If I were in charge of this team, not only would I change the atmosphere single handedly, I'd bring them an MLS Cup."

"Aren't you the same guy that said he would have got Canada to qualify for The World Cup?"

"Yup. I know I could've gotten the 1 point needed in the final two games. I'm Italian for Christ's sake. Defending is in my blood."

"Weren't you a striker back in Italy?"

"Yeah, imagine of I was a center back. No one ever beat me in the air. I've lost count how many goals I've scored off this glorious forehead."

"Five-head"

I gave him the V sign......"asterisk asterisk asterisk asterisk asterisk asterisk".

• 2 weeks later...

November 12, 2012

"After weeks of pandering, and talks coming to a stand still, maybe perhaps after all the big names aren't coming? Lito, what do you think?"

I frowned. "You honestly mean tot tell me you want MY opinion on this franchise's inability to sign the talent they promise are coming in, and whether they'd come or not?"

My best friend looked at him with a smirk on his face "You must be new here."

"There's no way that if the money that TFC are offering these guys is true that they wouldn't sign....provided of course no other team on the planet offers them the same thing."

"There's the positive attitude we're used to hearing from you kiddo."

"You know exactly where I'm going with this. They offered Tevez the world, he's going to Juve. They wanted Forlan, and even said they were close; until Forlan came out to say he's never had discussions with TFC and even if they did, he'd laugh them off in a heartbeat. We can't get anyone in their prime, let alone outside their prime. We get the walking wounded, the guys looking to get a retirement fund. A 401k/RRSP/whatever the retirement savings plan is in Europe. Defoe isn't even the 4th best striker at Spurs, yet he'd be arguably top 3 in the MLS, a sad, sad, sad state of affairs."

"So you're telling me there's a chance?"

"I'm done. Let's get back to business shall we?"

Archived