Minimize Damage or Go All In?

Hi,

I am managing Concord Rangers and managed to reach the Third Round of FA Cup in my first season. We were lucky to get similar level teams until that round, now we are up against Stoke.

Comparing the two teams it is quite clear Stoke is very strong and can/will pummel us to the ground. I just want some advise as to how to go about with this challenge.

Us being in the third Round has already brought good things to us. We received £120,000 from TV for this match, and the game will be taking place at our stadium which would increase the number of people showing up for the match. Financially we have already won.

Should I bring the game to stoke by attacking and pushing for goal? Or should I get every single player behind the ball and stop Stoke from scoring? And how do I do this?

Thanks

For such a tie I always would hope to play away seeing as ticket sales is split evenly between the home and the away side in english cup games. I.e. playing Man Utd away can easily net you £500k-£1m.

I would say play deep and on the counter, with one or two holding midfielders. Use the press to label them as massive favorites before the game to get them complacent, and tell your team 'relax, nothing to lose'. That recipe saw me beat plenty of PL sides with Forest Green as I was climbing the leagues. I often saw the other team missing chance after chance, while my strikers were clinical.

Archived