Just How Flexible is the Tactics System?

Let me give you an example which should probably answer your questions.

I started a save with Arsenal, who are media predicted to finish 4th in the premier league.

I won the premier league in my first season, which just ended tonight. We played MOSTLY on "standard" and "counter" for the entire season. Also "defensive" late in games.

I did this because I wanted to build possession up slowly and be patient.

We finished with the best defensive record in the league (23 conceded) however we didn't score as much as I'd have hoped for.

So yes, tactics are very flexible.

Attacking + Drop Deeper is actually quite a nice base for a counter attacking tactic, as it encourages quick transitions when you win the ball back and direct play up to your forwards, as well as giving your opponents the chance to come forward, thus opening up space behind their defense, while still holding a stable back line without creating large gaps in behind yours.

Defensive can be attacking, just as attacking can be defensive. The definition of a defensive approach isn't a Chelsea champions league winning performance, likewise attacking isn't necessarily all guns blazing.

There are nuances to both that can't simply be defined with an umbrella mentality. Baba and PhroX make good points - the way in which you defend or attack is the key.

Playing with a defensive mentality doesn't mean you aren't attacking rather using the ball in order to create and exploit space. I've used this example before but way back when in the early 1900s a fairly revolutionary manager took on a struggling Arsenal. The approach to tactics then was incredibly direct and physical - especially in England. The manager in question dropped his team deeper (among other things but for the purpose of making my point I'll keep it simple) and Arsenal won the league with a record number of goals.

Archived