Stupid Question - How do you assign a target man?

Hi everyone,

This is quite an embarrassing question, seeing as I have been playing FM for many years but how on earth do I assign a target man in FM 2014?????????

The tactics screen is completely different on this edition and I am not used to it. To be fair, I kind of preferred the old way.

Anyhow, can someone show me where to go? My goal is to make my striker a poacher/target man who runs onto through balls.

:D

Also, shorter passing for your team means that they will generally pass "to feet". More direct and they'll lump long balls to him. I wouldn't set up a target man role specifically for through balls. Maybe just a general pass into space (or manually set every player around your target with "more risky passes"), so that every player around the target will regularly try through balls.

Shame. I liked it how it was in previous games.

The whole tactical side of things seems dumbed down and simplified. Can we even get back the "classic" tactics like we could do before? I really think this years match engine is rather poor. Quite sad to be fair, even though sliders were "confusing", it seemed we had more control over the tactics. I do however like how I can assign players and their roles to specific positions...

I guess it will take time to get used to things, but right now I feel as though the control has been taken out of my hands and a lot of the tactics have become passive/automated. This I fear makes tactics harder to muck up, but also breeds ignorance. :(

Shame. I liked it how it was in previous games.

The whole tactical side of things seems dumbed down and simplified. Can we even get back the "classic" tactics like we could do before? I really think this years match engine is rather poor. Quite sad to be fair, even though sliders were "confusing", it seemed we had more control over the tactics. I do however like how I can assign players and their roles to specific positions...

I guess it will take time to get used to things, but right now I feel as though the control has been taken out of my hands and a lot of the tactics have become passive/automated. This I fear makes tactics harder to muck up, but also breeds ignorance. :(

You have plenty of control and I don't see what has been "dumbed down". Just look around the forums. People are still struggling because they're creating tactics that doesn't work. At least now they can be helped by talking in actual football terms instead of slider notches.

The ME is anything but poor. Especially with the 14.3 update. Of course there is room for improvement, but "poor" is way off the mark.

When I say poor, I always speak in terms of what I expected. Sure it's the best management game out there and FM is king, but I still feel disappointed with the match engine graphics (especially players ice skating about), and the tactics feel very simplified. Also the game, just in general - I expected more of an advance in the 2 years that I haven't played.

Anyway, I will keep playing and I am sure I will get used to things.

Right now I am struggling with Wolves. :D

Tactics can be as simple or as complicated as you make them. Start adding Player Instructions (especially specific ones!) and it can get quite complex. As always, we're here to advise/help if you're stuck. Although, don't ask me specifically for tactics advice. That'll be disastrous :D

Hey Sydney, I know exactly how you feel about the 'dumbing down' thing... it can seem like that.

But if you delve into player instructions, you technically have just as much control as before, and will find controlling your team is easier than ever.

Good luck anyway :thup:

Archived