This game should come with a BOOK !

I have been reading about this game more than actually playing it. Maybe this game should come with a book explaining EVERY SINGLE thing about the game.

What factors effect the quality of 'youth intake'?

How to refine your search for players to only display 'attainable' players? Even when you select 'Realistic Targets' some of the players ask for wages that you cannot afford.

Does having more physios help healing a player faster or they are just there to tell you how long the player will be out?

Scout reports show a star system, how does that work? If you are a lower-league manager and you get Messi scouted, your scout says he is 5-star. But there are players in your team who are 5 star as well. What is this star-level based on? My current league? Or is my Scout a ******?

How does the Director of Football help? I need a proper guide in using a DoF properly please.

More questions later ...

Thanks.

What factors effect the quality of 'youth intake'?

Your clubs "Youth recruitment" under facilities and to a lesser extent your "Head of Youth"

How to refine your search for players to only display 'attainable' players? Even when you select 'Realistic Targets' some of the players ask for wages that you cannot afford.

Its not black & white and depends how good your AM is at choosing targets, generally its a good starting point although some might be out of your range.

Does having more physios help healing a player faster or they are just there to tell you how long the player will be out?

As far as I know the better the physio, the more accurate they are on injury length. They may or may not help some injuries heal quicker.

Scout reports show a star system, how does that work? If you are a lower-league manager and you get Messi scouted, your scout says he is 5-star. But there are players in your team who are 5 star as well. What is this star-level based on? My current league? Or is my Scout a ******?

Stars are based on your squad and the reputation of the league they are in - 3* is average, 5* should be a star for your team/league.

How does the Director of Football help? I need a proper guide in using a DoF properly please.

Don't use one myself but they can help find, sign and get rid of players.

I think I spoke with wwfan about his ideas and understanding of the game should be in a manual that came with the game when FM14 was first released, I am sure it was wwfan, unless I am mistaken.

Like many user here I have played the game for years and years but there are new players coming into the game and it must be a real nightmare to get to grips with it.

While this forum does help there are quite a few players that do not know it is here and even if they did the search function on this forum may as well be done away with for all the help it is.

Lots of games on Steam have an online manual and many of them are very informative and go into lots of details about the game, I can never understand with the money that FM makes year after year a detailed online manual is not available.

It really should be something that SI think about for the future.

I miss the days of buying a nice, sturdy cardboard box with installation disk(s) (floppy), a substantial bound softcover book/strategy guide, and a neat premium like a sticker/iron-on/key-tag. (Never of course with FM, but most of the RPG/strategy games I used to play). Now, you get a download code, and if you're lucky with Google, you find a message board/forum where they may or may not be at all helpful (I'm thinking many EA products, for example).

The trouble with FM or in the days way back when CM is it never came with a big manual, I remember buying and playing CM97/98, it did not have a big manual, then again it did not need one.

The game was easy to pick up and play back then, just imagine being a new player today having never played a CM/FM title, what a nightmare it must be.

Could anyone back in 97 imagine if the game was the way it is now having that 8 small page manual and expected just to play?

Like I said I played the game back in 97 and every edition after that, I never felt the need to look for let alone join a website for the game until 2007, I am sure there are players simply tearing their hair out trying to work out how they should play the game or even some players trying to work out what the hell is going on with training/scouting/player confidence/etc, I am 100% sure there are players out there that do not even know that in the transfer center their assistant can give them players that they can sign for free/loan/transfer.

SI have to do better with this for future releases.

The trouble with FM or in the days way back when CM is it never came with a big manual, I remember buying and playing CM97/98, it did not have a big manual, then again it did not need one.

The game was easy to pick up and play back then, just imagine being a new player today having never played a CM/FM title, what a nightmare it must be.

Could anyone back in 97 imagine if the game was the way it is now having that 8 small page manual and expected just to play?

Like I said I played the game back in 97 and every edition after that, I never felt the need to look for let alone join a website for the game until 2007, I am sure there are players simply tearing their hair out trying to work out how they should play the game or even some players trying to work out what the hell is going on with training/scouting/player confidence/etc, I am 100% sure there are players out there that do not even know that in the transfer center their assistant can give them players that they can sign for free/loan/transfer.

SI have to do better with this for future releases.

Funnily enough, 2014 is my first FM, but recently downloaded the freeware old ones, and to be completely honest, can't get my head around them at all. Playing players out of position for example, has no marker to tell you if it'll have any effect, like the competency colors 2014 has. The menus are also much more awkward to navigate.

I was highly disappointed, I really wanted to play these classics everyone raves about, and run some past legendary teams.

Funnily enough, 2014 is my first FM, but recently downloaded the freeware old ones, and to be completely honest, can't get my head around them at all. Playing players out of position for example, has no marker to tell you if it'll have any effect, like the competency colors 2014 has. The menus are also much more awkward to navigate.

I was highly disappointed, I really wanted to play these classics everyone raves about, and run some past legendary teams.

Yeah it seems you are doing the reverse, you are looking for things that you never had to worry about way back when, it was pick up and play, if you played a guy out of position you knew you did, you never needed a green or red bar to tell you this.

The menus were very basic back then also, easily understood, the fact is they have become more complicated now you are maybe missing the fact that you do not need to think as much.

Back in CM you had players that played in say CM, you did not need to know how they played in that position just that they played as a CM.

Someone that is playing the new FMs and going back to the old CMs would try to over think it.

FM is definitely not a game where the average person can just crank it up and give it a shot.

Not sure I agree, I think anyone motivated enough to overcome the steep learning curve can enjoy the game, while perhaps not master it. I don't think it's catering to an elite of any sort, or that an in depth knowledge of football is a necessity going into the game.

Yeah it seems you are doing the reverse, you are looking for things that you never had to worry about way back when, it was pick up and play, if you played a guy out of position you knew you did, you never needed a green or red bar to tell you this.

The menus were very basic back then also, easily understood, the fact is they have become more complicated now you are maybe missing the fact that you do not need to think as much.

Back in CM you had players that played in say CM, you did not need to know how they played in that position just that they played as a CM.

Someone that is playing the new FMs and going back to the old CMs would try to over think it.

It's more than that(though I admit over thinking sounds like part of the problem), a lot of the menus are unwieldy, setting up your tactics, organizing your squad, setting your match day team, searching for players, all more awkward than the modern game. On the flip side, perhaps I'm looking at the older games in cold light, without any happy memories, or rose tinted glasses. There is a reason the games aren't basically skin & squad updates every year. Perhaps I'm just used to the way 2014 approaches things too.

FM is definitely not a game where the average person can just crank it up and give it a shot.

The more recent ones, I;d doubt they'd have much trouble, unless you mean people who aren't football fans in the first place. I'd bet anyone who follows the sport could pick up and be successful with a giant, with Man Utd, Chelsea, Barca, Real etc, without much hassle, especially in Classic, even mid table teams probably. Dropped in at the deep end with some bottom division team, of course I'd expect them to struggle.

Maybe not a manual, but i would love to see an update of Tactical Theorems and Frameworks.

I love that fecking thing so a bigger, more up to date version incorporating the new tactics creator (as well as looking at new tactics) would be sweet.

I realise that the guys who wrote it maybe don't have time to do it so maybe SI could do it officially or pay some of the guys to do it?

I think somebody at Paradox released a book for Hearts of Iron III (to anyone who doesn't know it; a massively complicated war strategy game....for me anyway!!) that covered lots of tips and do's and don'ts, but turning it in to a kind of story written through the eyes a Soviet General. That worked for me in helping, alongside their forums.

"Communist Campaign in Karelia" by Jason Pitrruzzello.

The search thing here kind of makes this place difficult to find what you want at times.

Before digital downloads it came with a manual but that still didn't have enough information. If it came with a book, how many users would actually read it? I probably wouldn't. FM can be tough if you're new to the series which is why we use all these different FM related forum sites.

I get the feeling that the manual has been left in such a state that documenting everything from now on would be prohibitive. I also get the feeling that there are parts of the ME that SI wouldn't want to document, because they're not quite sure of the effects themselves. That sounds damning, but it's not meant to be. I don't know how you would put down the effects of certain instructions on paper, as it ends up being nowhere near as simple as that. That's where the tactics forum comes in.

For the record, I'm a firm supporter of SI really concentrating on documentation and usability for FM15. In fact, I'd say it's far and away the most important feature they could work on.

• Administrators

Would love for us to do it in all honesty, but it was be an abolutely massive undertaking. I'd quite like to set up an official SI wiki, but would need a hell of a lot of help to get it off the ground. I swear a user did one a few years back but it's kind of died out now?

Would love for us to do it in all honesty, but it was be an abolutely massive undertaking. I'd quite like to set up an official SI wiki, but would need a hell of a lot of help to get it off the ground. I swear a user did one a few years back but it's kind of died out now?

The wiki is probably your best bet to be honest, as you're right, SI doing it themselves would probably take the same man hours it'll take to build FM15! A wiki would let the community shoulder a lot of it. I've often thought that a lot of the information in the tactics forum is probably best suited to some other medium, rather than forum posts. A wiki would allow users to be a bit more creative about how it's presented.

Archived