Notts Co tactics

I have actually played a game with Notts Co on 14.2, managed to get promoted straight away, and all that. But this is an entirely different thing.

They have a weak squad and virtually no transfer budget. Squad screenshot:

K4ZoMKn.png

sePftHt.png

dbFEHso.png

Almost all of the best players are loaned ones. First, we have Jack Grealish, who is just fantastic, in my opinion:

pY3az2Z.png

Then, we have Callum McGregor:

lYyce1W.png

I've uploaded some more player profiles, take a look if you want.

So, the question is, how would you set up tactics? Squad comparison screens are here.

I was thinking about setting up some kind of counter attacking 4-1-4-1, defensively very disciplined. Still thinking about how to do it, though. Also, I will have to spend a couple of days thinking about which free transfer players to bring in. So, during that time, I am open to all tactics ideas you suggest.

I think if you are playing a 4-1-4-1 I would look to play Grealish wide, with McGregor in the centre as an attacking central midfielder. Keep a good solid shape, get the full backs to link with the wide mid's in front (mix your duties up on each side), and Callum Ball as a support duty. He will be isolated as a TM, whereas if he is a DLF he will still use his strength too.

Thanks for the response.

I set up something along this line:

rVQxJAV.png

I will tell my RM to cut inside.

Now, I still haven't decided should I choose Counter or some other mentality. Defensive solidity the primary thing I am looking for here. Any advice on that?

Team instructions I will choose after first few friendlies. Need to look at some games first.

Looks a very good, solid start. You have the shape for solidity, so just learn when to press up, or stand off opponents. Should imagine counter-attacking will be useful for you.

How has it started?

I actually been toying with the same set up but with CF(s) up top and DLP(s) instead of CM(s). And also it was mirrored (with right footed wide midfielders). I didn't give any instructions to the WM as I like to leave it to the players. Sometimes the attacking FB goes wide with the WM narrower, and sometimes the FB cuts inside with the WM staying wider.

-SnUrF

Thanks for the responses, guys.

So far it has been solid, but that's only preseason and versus very weak opponents. Preseason takes long because I am trying my best to strengthen up the squad. A friends shortlist of fine cheap/free players has been useful. :)

I've made some very minor changes, basically, mirrored the formation. I've made a mistake in my previous post; I didn't ask my wide midfielder to cut inside, but rather to sit narrower.

Also, I am training both the counter and control mentality (identical tactics except the mentality) and I've asked my players to pass shorter.

After I play some league games, probably tomorrow, I will post the results, and hopefully, try to analyse what went right, and what went wrong.

Due to all the work, still haven't found time to play much, but I did manage to play the season opener.

Preseason went just fine. Won nine matches, scoring 46 goals, and conceding just one. But that's all against very weak, mostly local teams. Although the opposition were weak, it still gives me hope that I'm on the right track here.

I have willingly made an obvious mistake of training both tactics at once, so fluidity will suffer. A lot of signings didn't help either, but given how weak Notts Co are (not to mention that the better half of the team is here on loan), I felt that I needed to strengthen the squad as much as I could. I am not overly happy with all the signings I did, but that's a different story. (and I did sign some of the players "blind" - yeah, that was stupid, but my Decisions stat is significantly lower while I'm playing out of position like I did the other day - sitting next to my girlfriend! :D)

Anyway, back to the first game of the season, against Sheff Utd. A tough game away for the start of the season. Sheff Utd are a fine team (oh, I wish I picked them at the beginning :D), I would have been happy with a draw.

But, to my surprise, not only we managed to win the game, but we really dominated, creating 5 CCC's and being really good in the final third overall. We scored from a penalty, and I do feel we could have done more. The fact that we missed a lot probably has something to do with the amount of new players I got in.

Some screenshots for you:

Tactics, taken after the game:

ltYz8Jk.png

Match stats:

C3H8qzx.png

PhWpR4k.png

At one point in the game, I've added retain possession shout, because I felt we gave the ball a lot. (Probably also due to the fact the squad hasn't gelled in yet) Also, at one point later in the game, I've changed Liddle from CD to LD. Not really sure if there's logic behind that, but it did seem to do something about his horrendous passing.

So, what I'm looking for here:

1. Does anyone see some obvious things that need adjustment?

2. How to prevent my GK and DCs from giving the ball away? Distribute to defenders instruction only did so much.

Over the next few of games, I'll be looking to sort out the DC passing issue.

Sorry about not updating this thread. I think I am giving up on this save.

First of all, it is very hard to judge on the result of the tactics, since players are very inconsistent. Especially the defenders, who make a ton of silly mistakes.

Second, the number of injuries after 14.3 is just insane. Almost every match one of my players pick up an injury. A key defender, many Smith, picked up three injuries, which kept him from playing for 3 weeks, 4 weeks, and now 6 months. Mind you, I am playing players with high %CON and %MFT and my training is just fine (medium workload, I am resting them after the game). And it's not just my team, but every time I advance, the news say "*club* is down to bare bones". What's up with that!? Is it just my game, or is it also a problem for everyone else?

Why is half of my first team asking to leave because "club is under-achieving"? We are currently 8th, projected to be 14th, and let me tell you, that was a very ambitious projection, given that our squad is crap, our reputation and attendances are at the bottom of the league, etc.

Also, media reports are very inconsistent. It says we are struggling. Our form last 10 games is LDWLDWWDWL, so 3 losses, 3 draws and 4 wins. Don't think it counts as struggling.

This is all becoming very frustrating. I've never encountered these issues on 14.2. I wish I could downgrade now.

Oh great. Players didn't want to renew their contracts because we are "under-achieving", so the other clubs poached all of my best players in January window. By the way, we did string a couple of wins since last update. I think I am done with this.

(And anyway, we were financially dead. The board managed to find a 25k/year sponsorship to get us out of our financial trouble. Wow.)

Archived