Tycoons

I had started my career at Stalybridge Celtic, won promotion in 2014. The next two years were tough efforts that ended up just short out of the playoff positions. Year 4, they're broke and I'm struggling with bad signings and not-ready rookies. So I quit in November after they threatened to fire me; this was after trying to apply for a multitude of other jobs with no luck.

After a few weeks, Brackley Town, sitting 19th in the Skrill North, fires their manager. I haven't got a sniff anywhere else, so I jump on the job, hoping I can get back on the horse. They offer me an interview immediately.

I'm sitting in the proposed meeting, and their owner offers me a $7M transfer budget and an $80K wage budget. I accept in stunned disbelief, thinking this game is glitched out. Skrill North? $7M? Huh? I officially take the job and go through their history; about a month before I showed up, Brackley Town was taken over by Denis Kasatonov, a Russian Tycoon! He immediately made the team professional, cleaned house, and hired me. Unbelievable!

So my biggest question is there any reason a Russian Tycoon should waste money on a Skrill North sitting just on the edge of relegation. Why do they pick the teams they do?

It's just a chance when a club is going to get a takeover that its a tycoon takeover. Not all tycoons are capable of competing at the top level of the game however, he may be able to bankroll you to the championship but then be massively out of his depth in the premiership for example.

But why do they ever choose any club? Why did Man City or Chelsea get theirs? On a lesser scale why did Cardiff get theirs?

Sometimes it can be understandable, at Stoke for example, we have Peter Coates - local businessman, Bet365 is based in stoke and he's a stoke supporter with a lot of wealth he has been able to back the club quite well but in some cases it just happens quite whimsically.

I had a fantastic save with Brackley on FM10, got them to the Premiership in 9 seasons, and eventually European Champions (something I have only ever done with 1 other club, Norwich). It was one of those saves where everything just clicked.

Good luck mate

Oh....as for your question, I have always said if I become a Billionaire (haha), I would rather take over a non-league club than a big one, and make them massive.

That is cool that it is a random chance, I just have never paid any attention to that sort of stuff.

So far, it's been tough. The new chairman wants big signings but we're hovering above the drop and nobody wants to come here. The transfer window has been more free transfers than transfers from other teams. I think we'll survive the season, then I can use the money to attract League 2/Skrill Premier talent to move forward.

I've always thought a save like that would be interesting, I was recently playing a save as N. Ferribly and got them into League Two and noticed Gateshead (who had been relegated to Skrill North) had been taken over by a Tycoon and sacked their manager, was so tempted to apply for the job but resisted and carried on...they ended up hiring Shaun Wright-Phillips and took them three years to get promoted!!

I think the Tycoon's are just random though, I don't think their are any set parameters for a Tycoon to takeover a club I could be wrong though.

Archived