Doomed to relegation!

Hi Guys

I've found an interesting observation.

Among others I have a Havant & Waterlooville save. I managed consecutive promotions from the Skrill South to league 1. I knew I was going to struggle. Most my players were not good enough and only a few with enough quality would sign for me. I reached the last game of the season in 21st place and needed to get to 20th to survive. I was 2 points behind Rochdale with a much better goal difference. I was playing at home against Bristol Rovers in 24th so I felt hopeful as Rochdale had Walsall away in 7th.

I lost 3-0 and more annoying is Rochdale lost 4-1 so survival was possible. So back to league 2.

I noticed I had an auto-save from 4 days before the match so tried to make myself feel better and stay up. Please bear in mind my original game is the 'real' one.

I still lost the next 7 reloads with Rochdale also losing. Then I did eventually win! And so did Rochdale! I continued to experiment...

I lost the game 16 times as did Rochdale. I won the game 4 times as did Rochdale. So from observation I would've been relegated whatever the result anyway.

Steve

Definitely a case of the game hating you and wanting you to fail, no matter how many times you try...

and have I introduced you to my friend, the Tactics forum? (just kidding). Whether that "auto save" is from the day of the match or a week before the match, there's always a chance that your tactics + the AI tactics are going to consistently result in the same outcome.

Younger players who can't handle the pressure? Lower morale? maybe Rochdale were having a mini revival and that looks after their result, where as already relegated rovers are playing without pressure.

If you give it another go, play with confidence, go out and attack them and say something positive to the players. Grabbing an early goal by going all out will probably break whatever confidence Rovers have and give you players a boost after your positive team talk.

Definitely a case of the game hating you and wanting you to fail, no matter how many times you try...

and have I introduced you to my friend, the Tactics forum? (just kidding). Whether that "auto save" is from the day of the match or a week before the match, there's always a chance that your tactics + the AI tactics are going to consistently result in the same outcome.

Does this explain why Rochdale magically matched his result every single team?

Sounds like it'd be an interesting one to have a look at. Putting survival aside, the most interesting part to me is actually the fact that Rochdale lost all 16 that you lost. That in itself is quite an odd correlation- you'd expect them to eke out a draw or even a win in one or two of the games, especially if they've shown they're capable of doing so when you do win.

Ok, it took another 8 attempts but I did eventually win and Rochdale lost so I'm happy survival was possible even if it was unlikely.

As mentioned in my OP I'll stick to my original game. To be fair my team were simply not good enough in quality rather than a tactical issue. I only had 5 players who were considered to be league 1 standard, the others league 2, Skrill Prem etc. My best player was also injured for 3 months. I had no funds and any decent freebees just wouldn't sign. I think a case of overachieving with a small team too quickly was the problem.

Steve

Very strange. Is it possible that the crowd are having an effect here?

Word would "filter through" to the fans at the stadium, who in turn would react and perhaps influence the motivation of the players. So when you are winning, the Rochdale fans gee their team up and it helps them out to a win. When you are losing they get complacent, and subsequently lose as well.

I have no idea whether it is reserved or optimistic to think that this might be in the game.

EDIT: Seeing that you finally did it, would you comment on any observations you had about goal times? If for instance your win came late enough for Rochdale's players to not "hear" about it in time to be motivated.

Archived