Problems with 4-3-3

I'm playing a 4-3-3 (with DM and IFs) at the moment to great effect but I have noticed a few major weaknesses with it which I'd like to try and get some help fixing, if at all possible.

Firstly, my wingbacks sit too wide on the defense, allowing opposing IFs to cut inside of them and attack my center backs 3v2 with the striker. How can I get my wingbacks to mark those IFs more diligently, and sit narrower when necessary to stay with them but without sitting too narrow on the attack?

Secondly, my IFs are not making the most of their chances in front of goal. They often cut inside early, run straight at the goal and then try to shoot across goal on their weaker foot. The whole point of an IF is they are supposed to cut inside and take a shot on their stronger foot towards goal. Is there any way to address this?

Finally, opposition wing backs are allowed far too much space due to the IFs not tracking back enough. By linking up with their IFs/wingers, opposition wing backs can create overlaps and either get crosses into my box or draw my wing back out and play thier IF into space. This is an obvious weakness of the formation but I wondered whether there was any way to mitigate this?

I'm also trying to work out whether box to box mids ahead of the DLP would be more effective than CM(a)s? With CM(a) those players get into good positions in the box and score a good amount of goals. They do seem to track back OK but looking at their average positions, they are very high up the field which is slightly worrying defensively.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Wingbacks can be given Individual Player instruction to play narrower. Have you tried Fullbacks as well?

Inside Forward's don't seem to track back, not sure if it's a fault in the ME or by design. I think its any role in the AMR/L position except a Defensive Winger.

I am finding the CM(a) does a lot more than the description. It's the goto role for me.

Can you post details of your Roles, Duties, Mentality, Fluidity, TIs and PIs etc. please?

It sounds as if many of your issues may relate to Mentality (width of wingbacks, possibly the tempo affecting the shot selection of the IFs - whose Duty will also have a bearing).

Try playing more as a team, and less a collection of individuals, perhaps? I've found that playing Very Fluid helps a lot when defending; the IF's tends to contribute more to defense, tracking back more, marking opposition wide players sufficiently, and so on. I'm playing a 433 (DM, 2 MC, 2 IF's in wide positions), Very Fluid and usually Control or Attacking. IF's are set to support duty, Striker (AF) to attack duty, 1 CM on attack, 1 CM on support, DM on defend. Not wing backs - I find them too vulnerable in this formation - but regular full backs on attack duty. If you worry about the IF's on support duty not making enough runs forward, or into the box - don't. They do. But they will also be more inclined to create chances for the striker or the attacking CM, rather than be at the end of attack themselves. With good, intelligent players as IF's, they will choose when to create and when to be the attacking spearhead quite satisfactory. In short, Very Fluid will help these players to behave more like most of us really want them to do, in my experience.

If you worry about full backs not contributing enough to the attack, you needn't do that either. They will. It's the same story here; Very Fluid will help them perform more like we all want them to do.

What you do need is a team full of team players. Avoid primadonnas. 1 of these can be tolerated, any more and a Very Fluid philosophy may start to crumble. You also need to apply constant pressure (closing down) from your most forward players, and preferrably to compress the playing areas with the help of fairly high(ish) d-lines, and avoiding extreme width. The players need to be fairly close to each other in order to effectively move into spots that the others have left, to provide safety and backup, or to take up more advanced positions if one of the others has dropped deeper ... etc.

With this setup I find that the whole team, with the exception of the striker perhaps, contributes as expected to the defense. It defends like a 4-1-4-1 setup most of the time, depending on how long the opposition has sustained their attack.

What you get with a Very Fluid setup, is a team that defends as a whole, attacks as a whole, and moving into transitions as a whole. Contrary to popular belief, moving to Very Fluid can help in solidifying your team in all these phases, and will not make the team more disorganised, or incoherent.

At least my Arsenal team performs and behaves more like I think Arsenal should, with this setup.

PS. Having one of the CD's on cover duty is often a good idea, unless you are playing the offside trap.

If you want your fullbacks to keep their width but also be narrow and prevent players cutting inside - Play Narrower but Run Wide With Ball.

Means they only go wide when they have the ball so without it they are closer to their CB and less likely to leave the CBs exposed.

Archived