Successful tactic turned Inconsistent, Same team, same variables, DIFFERENT save. Help?

Hey guys,

First off, I suck at tactics. Every year I read loads of articles in here, guides from Cleon, wwfan and other geniuses here, but I have still been struggling with tactics. Tactics in football is like learning a foreign language for me, and I suck at it.

That said, I managed a week ago to combine some thoughts I read in here with a couple of mine, which resulted in a solid tactic.

I strongly believe in using a player in his best player position, and playing as Tottenham I wanted to utilise Inside forwards (having the likes of Lamela, Townsend, Lennon, Eriksen), as well as an AM (Sigurdsson has been PROLIFIC) and a DM (Sandro the beast!), linking both of them with a Box to box midfielder (Paulinho). Ok enough chit chat, here's the tactic:

99.jpg

The tactic was EXCELLENT, winning a couple of leagues and europa league. Something was messed up and I lost my save though, so I decided I try again.....

I had the tactic saved, so I didn't really change anything. Same team, same players, same management style, same training, same staff etc. Well, the results were not replicated by any means. Very inconsistent, winning everton away 4-0 and then drawing 3-3 at home with the same team, and there were alot of 4-0 wins followed by 0-0 draws or 0-1 losses. I tried another save, with the same inconsistent results. I forgot to mention that with my original save, the changes I made were minimal, it was for me a winning tactic, and If I lost, I still played like I wanted: Short passing game, lots of through balls, even at defeats there were no concerns.

So...this is not a "moan" post, I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong, and I'd very much appreciate some advice as to what I could change to at least play some nice football. I really don't want to change the formation, having an AM slot really helped Sigurdsson turn into a goal machine (banging 20+ goals each season), and a DM of the likes of Sandro kept the defence pretty solid.

My personal instructions in this tactic were:

Keeper: Distribute to defenders

Both FB and WB = Pass it shorter/Close Down more/Run wide with Ball/Cross More often (and I tried adding Stay wider but not very successful)

Both CD's = Pass it shorter

Defensive Midfielder = Shoot less often/Pass it shorter/Fewer risky passes/Tackle Harder

Box to box Midfielder = Fewer Risky Passes/Shoot less Often/Close down more/Dribble less/Pass it shorter

Both IF's = Shoot less often/More Direct Passes/Get Further Forward/Sit narrower/Tackle Harder/Roam from Position (+Dribble more for my IF/R Lamela)

Advanced Playmaker (A) = Get further forward/Shoot less often/Pass it Shorter

Trequartista (A) = Shoot Less Often

I once again have to stress that this was a hugely successful tactic in my previous save...So I'm also wondering how that could be. But I'd reaaaaally appreciate any feedback to see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance

OK that's what I would have guessed as well, but there had been times in the new save that morale had been superb, however without the same consistent results to come. But I'd hate to think that when morale is not high enough, the team is subject to defeat no matter the tactics!

Any criticism on the tactic welcome by the way.

• Hassle Opponents is an extreme shout, it ruins your defensive shape - I would recommend only using when necessary.
  • Sandro (DM(D)) potentially might be better off on the DMLC slot, as he will cover the forward movement of the FB(A) more - as while Walker is getting forward too, Eriksen will come inside, Rose has a more aggressive mentality, and will get forward into that space.
  • A congested front 5 - all into central positions in front of the defence. Only Lamela offers much different.
  • Soldado is no Trequarista - he is not creative enough. He would be better as an AF(A), moving into channels pulling across the offensive line. Opening space for Lamela.
  • A CM(S) or DLP(S) instead of BBM might be better for 2 reasons - will cause less congestion, then he will also help stay in a more reserve position, and distribute the ball from deeper.
  • Might be worth using Lennon as a Winger as an alternative when you lack width - drilling crosses in to Soldado

No worries man, hope it helps. Play your matches on at least extended highlights - preferably comprehensive or full match. Don't watch it too fast, and just be observant and notice the types of chances you are conceding etc.

Archived