Can anyone translate this tactic pls (4-1-1-3-1)?

i've been playing FM series few years back, and usually what i did was just get plug-and-play tactic or creating a basic tactic, without adding any PI or TI because i dont understand how they really works.

Well in FM14 i really tried my best to explore more about the team instructions and player instructions, and how they used in the tactic.

Few days ago i got 1 tactic from other forum and try how it works.. my team was able to finish at the 4th position (prediction is around 14-18) and play a really attractive football. i really like how it works but honestly i'm quite confused when i read the TI.. it looks like trying to tell my 2 wide players to sit near at the AMC position.

i really want to learn how this tactic works.. so can the tactic gurus pls help to translate for me ?

below is the tactic and the settings :

nGgjIcs.jpgaVaE7ne.jpg

AML & AMR PI

- more direct passes

- shoot less often

- get further forward

- sit narrower

- tackle harder

- roam from position

AMC PI

- roam from position

- pass it shorter

MC PI

- fewer risky passes

- shoot less often

- dribble less

- pass it shorter

DL & DR PI

- Pass it shorter

- close down more

- run wide with ball

- cross more often

This follows what I've gathered is the most common formula for plug & play tactics:

Defensively, you have a medium block with aggressive forward pressing designed to force the opposition to play it long and let your defence easily recover possession by quickly isolating the opposition's attackers. From there, play builds up slowly and somewhat cautiously out of the back to a central support player/playmaker while two wide forwards get forward and hang on the shoulder of the opposition fullbacks. The central support player/playmaker then finds space to ping through balls to the IFs who rely on fullback marking errors to get a clear shot on goal or an easy pass to the ST. Usually, the fullbacks get forward as well and help create a gap for the IF, but this one relies on a more traditional and rigid distribution of duties. In a lot of ways, this is a very FM12-esque kind of tactic, but this seems to be a successful formula in 14.3 and, to be fair, the AI gets a lot of joy from these sort of goals as well.

This follows what I've gathered is the most common formula for plug & play tactics:

Defensively, you have a medium block with aggressive forward pressing designed to force the opposition to play it long and let your defence easily recover possession by quickly isolating the opposition's attackers. From there, play builds up slowly and somewhat cautiously out of the back to a central support player/playmaker while two wide forwards get forward and hang on the shoulder of the opposition fullbacks. The central support player/playmaker then finds space to ping through balls to the IFs who rely on fullback marking errors to get a clear shot on goal or an easy pass to the ST. Usually, the fullbacks get forward as well and help create a gap for the IF, but this one relies on a more traditional and rigid distribution of duties. In a lot of ways, this is a very FM12-esque kind of tactic, but this seems to be a successful formula in 14.3 and, to be fair, the AI gets a lot of joy from these sort of goals as well.

Thanks for explaining T.H.O.G,

- but sorry, but i don't understand with 'medium block with aggressive forward pressing' and 'two wide forwards get forward and hang on the shoulder of the opposition fullbacks'.. :(

- and i also confused what's the impact of play narrower.. does it mean the AML & AMR will not use the wide area side to play the ball and move a bit to the center?

- i want to make use of my AML/AMR as a goal scorer as well. shld i change the IF(s) to IF(a)? and what would be the best PI for it?

Thanks!

A medium block basically means the team will sit in the middle of the pitch in the defensive phase and look to break up attacks as they cross the centre line with the defensive line preferring to sit just ahead of the defensive third. This is a balanced approach as it makes you less vulnerable to both balls over the top and crosses... which is obviously the optimal approach if you're just looking for something that works well enough against every kind of opponent. The downside is that this usually lets the opposition control the ball in their own area, but this is offset by an aggressive attacking four who, with Hassle Opponents, will press the opposition deep inside their own half. So you get a probably far too effective mix of a relatively deep defensive line and high intensity pressing in the opposition half.

To illustrate this, here's an image from a save I just threw together using a 4-2DM-3-1 designed with similar principles:

HNsejlR.png

The East Fife DC just has to make a simple pass to his fullback, and they would have 5 players in that massive gap ahead of my two DMs. IRL, they would then counter quickly and create a good chance for themselves. This doesn't happen. Instead, the DC dawdles until Lallana dispossess him and sets up our second goal, and I don't really have to worry about massive gaps in my defence.

Narrower will cause all players to stay compact (and closer to their defensive positions) as they attack with AMLR in particular less inclined to drift out to the touchline. It will also focus passing down the middle, so it moves up through the central midfielders.

Changing the AMLRs' duty will make no real difference. The "Get Further Forward" PI and other instructions have already basically turned them into attack duty IFs.

A medium block basically means the team will sit in the middle of the pitch in the defensive phase and look to break up attacks as they cross the centre line with the defensive line preferring to sit just ahead of the defensive third. This is a balanced approach as it makes you less vulnerable to both balls over the top and crosses... which is obviously the optimal approach if you're just looking for something that works well enough against every kind of opponent. The downside is that this usually lets the opposition control the ball in their own area, but this is offset by an aggressive attacking four who, with Hassle Opponents, will press the opposition deep inside their own half. So you get a probably far too effective mix of a relatively deep defensive line and high intensity pressing in the opposition half.

To illustrate this, here's an image from a save I just threw together using a 4-2DM-3-1 designed with similar principles:

HNsejlR.png

The East Fife DC just has to make a simple pass to his fullback, and they would have 5 players in that massive gap ahead of my two DMs. IRL, they would then counter quickly and create a good chance for themselves. This doesn't happen. Instead, the DC dawdles until Lallana dispossess him and sets up our second goal, and I don't really have to worry about massive gaps in my defence.

Narrower will cause all players to stay compact (and closer to their defensive positions) as they attack with AMLR in particular less inclined to drift out to the touchline. It will also focus passing down the middle, so it moves up through the central midfielders.

Changing the AMLRs' duty will make no real difference. The "Get Further Forward" PI and other instructions have already basically turned them into attack duty IFs.

oo, i see..

does it mean that the BWM(s) plays an important role from what you mentioned above? since he will sit in the middle, break the attack and try to get the ball asap, then start the attack? i have a lot of DLP(s) in that position, can i use this role to replace BWM ?

The 2 IFs are play narrower in this tactic, my idea of playing the IF is more on the touchline side, a skillful pacey type of IF, more dribble, and eventually cut inside.

What PI shld i apply to play like that? and will it fit to this type of tactic?

Thanks a lot!

Hassle will basically make any role act like a BWM except with a greater willingness to play risky passes.

The IFs will already be sitting narrower due to the team "Pass Shorter" and "Sit Narrower" instruction. I'm not sure the "Sit Narrower" PI is making any difference, possibly even making him sit wider than he otherwise would if the PI weren't overriding the TIs, though I can't confirm that. You'll want to tell him to "Stay Wider" to keep him closer to the touchline.

Archived