How do you deal with possession football?

Just wondering how you deal with this style of play in the opposition?

Do you try out possess them? Sit back and absorb it and hit them on the counter? Play a high pressure game aiming to break them down?

At the minute I've got a save with Wolves, just got into the Prem. Am attempting to break them up, relying on a high pressure game with fit tackling centre MIDs then getting it wide to my wingers on the counter. Has been pretty effective so far, am over performing in the league and somehow beat City 6-2 in the cup.

Depends on your team and the other team :)

If your team isn't capable of playing a higher pressing game, then it would be pointless to try it. If your team isn't well suited to sitting back (think like, having smaller players) then I wouldn't do it.

Also, try to figure out how to get the players with weaker passing skills to be the ones on the ball. Or, put pressure on them. If you can tight mark a playmaker for the other team, that would probably be helpful. Sometimes targeting the right player can totally unravel the AI's game plan.

Ultimately though, you'll want to play to your team's strengths and try to hide your weaknesses. In some cases the battle for possession simply won't be won by your team. Even with Arsenal, I accept that City or Chelsea or Man Utd may end up more of the ball (they tend to be VERY aggressive and thus win it back a lot). In these situations it can be very helpful to just throw out the "ideal" play style for your side and keep things tight and hope to hit them on the break.

Archived