Bad Runs

This is not a criticism of the game in any way shape or form. I was just wondering if anyone experiences the same things that I do when managing on FM14. I can be playing really well and then I might lose a game. Perfectly possible, you can't win them all. But then what happens next is we can't get back to what we were like before, we will lose 5 or 6 on the trot playing terribly! Does anyone else get this and does anyone know what I can do differently to stop this happening?

I think the best thing you can do is make sure to manage your players morale and so on in the right way, but in doing this I am keen to avoid the suggestion that morale plays a huge role.

My basis for this thought is what wwfan has said in some brilliant posts, where he talks about in which games he only uses experienced players, or calm players, or so on and so on. I was dubious about how much things like this influence the game, but wwfan was involved in tactics creator, so whilst not at the core of the game I trust him to know what he is talking about, and I've been trying to value/appreciate the game's calculations and depth more as a result.

Ultimately though there is no golden rule, which is exactly how it should be.

Personally I keep a close track on how my players are looking and acting, and try rotating out ones who don't seem to be conducting themselves in the right way. A misfiring complacent striker can sometimes be replaced by a properly gee-d up youngster told he is getting his chance. Someone who reacts terribly to criticsm or has a low work-rate can be replaced by an admittedly weaker player you know you can rely on to be in good morale and have good team-work, work-rate and determination.

Sometimes though, you just have to admit you are Wenger incarnate, and football is a cruel, cruel mistress

I always find that toning down my team talks helps as does small minor tactical tweaks.

For instance, I play a faced paced more direct game with 433 (flat 4, 1 DM, 2 CM, 2 wide and lone striker)

On my last bad run (which saw us take just 10 points from our opening 9 games and sitting 14th) I decided to tweak instructions slightly, added 'look for overlap' and 'run at defense' plus changed the role of striker to 'complete forward support' toned down my team talks by keeping calm at all times and things improved.

2 wins by the skin of our teeth (but noticed tactical tweaks were having an effect) followed by some improved performances and 6 wins in a row plus a 4-1 win over Lazio in the Europa League to open up our new stadium.

So small tweaks plus a change team talk worked wonders, and its the way I always get out of a slump, I always keep the same basic shape though.

Another thing I have going for though is that my team has a lot of efficient ball players with good intelligence, technigue and passing so I can literally change 'play more direct' to 'keep possession' and notice a massive change in performance if things are not going our way.

Making small changes from time to time can also keep the opposition guessing.

After a game I'd recommend a quick visit to the squad screen -> report -> last match -> team talk feedback.

There you will get a sense of what state your team is in. Use that info to guide you in your choices for the next match.

Likely after 6 games won in a row your team was complacent (or perhaps feeling pressured depending on circumstances). A goal against and loss can make them crumble, and when that happens you should rethink your approach and try to rebuild their confidence.

Archived