The 4-2-3-1 Antidote; 1-3-2-3-1 or 3-1-2-3-1

Hi guys,

I have an idea in my head that I can't seem to shake off.

Everyone seems to be playing the 4-2-3-1 and I can't help but notice that the gap between the 4-2 is often where the 3 sit (in the hole). So I have a formation in my head that I want to play with, but can never find the balls due to the limited personnel capable...

Without further Ado:

Against 4-2-3-1 where all 3 are central:

------------

1-3-2-3-1

------------

GK (Obv)

1 CB (cover) (Man-Marking Striker)

1 Anchor Man (Man Mark Central AM)

2 DMs (Ball winning midfielders - each man marking an AM)

2 Box-to-Box CMs to carry the ball from defense to attack and to win the ball in the midfield to save overloading - One eye on CMs (eg Lampard) making late runs

2 Defensive Wingers - On Attack, cut inside and make up a 3 pronged attack, when ball lost track full backs from getting forward (Would require concentration, Work-Rate and Stamina [Not Normally traits of Wide Forward]

1 Enganche / Trequarista (Focus of all Attacks, General Nuisance off the ball, technically gifted on the ball) - Possibly easiest player to find out of whole team

Striker - I wouldn't mind what type of striker here, benefits of any. But main focus is putting the ball in the back of the net!

Against 4-2-3-1 With Wingers / Inside Forwards

--------------

3-1-2-3-1

--------------

GK (Obv)

1 CB (cover) (Man-Marking Striker)

2 FBs (Stay at home - each man marking a winger)

1 Anchor Man (Man Mark Central AM)

2 Box-to-Box CMs to carry the ball from defense to attack and to win the ball in the midfield to save overloading - One eye on CMs (eg Lampard) making late runs

2 Defensive Wingers - On Attack, cut inside and make up a 3 pronged attack, when ball lost track full backs from getting forward (Would require concentration, Work-Rate and Stamina [Not Normally traits of Wide Forward]

1 Enganche / Trequarista (Focus of all Attacks, General Nuisance off the ball, technically gifted on the ball) - Possibly easiest player to find out of whole team

Striker - I wouldn't mind what type of striker here, benefits of any. But main focus is putting the ball in the back of the net!

I envisage a team like West Ham deploying this. 100% Counter Attack minded with team built around AM being able to shine

Can people give me suggestions on personnel that would fit this formation?

Any arguments as to why this wouldn't work or that's I'm a **** with too much time on his hands, feel free to comment!

Type of players to suit this team:

Neuer (Obv best keeper I can get)

Kompany (All round Centre Back - quick, good concentration, good on the ball, good in the air, good at marking)

Lahm (Can play RB or RDMC - PERFECT)

David Luiz (Anchor Man that will mark DM out of the game as well as good at supplying the water carriers)

Alaba (Can play LB or LDMC - PERFECT)

Gerrard (Tireless CM)

Lampard (Tireless CM)

Rooney RW (Forward minded but workhorse and would happily track the LB)

Ben Arfa / Gaston Ramirez (I play with Newcastle and Southampton a lot and these are the type of players I'd like to build a team around - obv there are better AMs than these)

Bale LW (Used to be a LB so can defend)

Messi / Suarez (Best striker available)

Can see the benefits of a Target Man Striker that can defend corners, A technical striker than can come deep and help get the attack moving or an advanced forward sole purpose to get in the box and get on the end of crosses etc

Team with closest personnel I can think of is Man Utd - Looking at a 25 Man Squad...

01 GK De Gea

02 GK Lindegaard

03 GK Amos

04 CB Evans

05 CB Vidic

06 Anchor / CB Ferdinand (Good enough on the ball to be an Anchor Man)

07 Anchor / CB Jones

08 RB / DM Smalling (Would have to train to be DM)

09 RB / DM ?

10 LB / DM ?

11 LB / DM ?

12 CM Carrick

13 CM Fellaini

14 CM Cleverley

15 CM Fletcher

16 RDW Valencia

17 RDW Rooney

18 LDW Welbeck

19 LDW Januzaj (Young enough to train new position)

20 AM Mata

21 AM Kagawa

22 ST v. Persie

23 ST Hernandez

24 CM / LDW / AM Giggs

25 Young Striker

Would make Evra, Rafael, Nani and Young Redundant but fcuk 'em.

I would feel like I'm cheating if I tried this formation with Man U though... can win the league with them no matter what formation you play...

Players like Alaba and Phil Neville are hard to come by.... (LB / DMs)

------------------------------

First Team

------------------------------

------------De Gea------------

Smalling-----Evans-----LeftBack

-------------Jones--------------

-----Carrick-----Fellaini-----

Rooney-------Mata-------Welbeck

------------v.Persie-------------

---------------------------------

------------Hernandez-------------

Januzaj------Kagawa---------Valencia

------Cleverley-----Fletcher------

-------------Ferdinand------------

LeftBack------Vidic------RightBack

------------Lindegaard------------

----------------------------------

Second Team

----------------------------------

I've been posting about the AI 4-2-3-1 for quite some time now.

Here's a few tips:

- line up a formation that uses a DMC

- man mark their AMC with the DMC IF, the other team's AMC is a massive threat as a playmaker (sometimes they're not!)

- Make sure that your winning the individual battles. If you line up a formation like 4-1-4-1, or 4-1-2-2-1, you're going to have lots of 1 on 1 matchups both on the wings and in the middle. The middle will be crowded, so expect lots of short passing in the middle, and a lot of the more dangerous play will be focused out wide. Make sure your not getting skinned by the other teams wingers. If so, play more narrow / close down less. Deny those wingers the space.

- try to put pressure on the AI fullbacks. Generally speaking the AI 4-2-3-1 always has 1 fullback who is attacking and 1 who is much less attacking. Target the attacking fullback and get up in his face. Force them to pass to other players in less dangerous places.

Hope this helps.

Why not test all of that ingame and tell us the findings? :)

You'd lose most 1-1 situations if your players are not very smart/physical. You're trying to fit a way to man mark their players instead of either imposing your play or cutting off their strengths.

On the narrow 4-2-3-1, I usually try to get as much interceptions as I can and build slowly on their side of the pitch. This means that sometimes I'll drop back (they play too many long balls) or I'll push forward and press.

I have more issues and I still haven't cracked a good way to face a 4-2-3-1 with wide players using the way that I like to play.

I like to be proactive and win the ball rather than allowing them time on the ball but limit the dangerous areas, ie. zonal marking

I admit if they lose their man they've got a better chance of scoring, but the idea is to limit the time on the ball

Bobby, I do want to try it ingame, but I can't find a team that can play this formation - ones that can, ie Man U / Bayern, they should win no matter what so not really a fair test...

Haven't got the patience to build a team around the formation for 3 seaons time...

Archived