Champions League winners to Mid Table

Playing as Manchester United after making a few signings and a bit of luck I won the Champions League and Premier League by 6 points in my first season.

At the end of the season I let first team players Vidic, Evra and Carrick go and replaced them with Varane, Alaba and Koke, who i thought weren't bad replacements, I also let some back up players leave with a couple of young players coming in.

In my second season I am currently 13th with 24 points from 21 games. I've changed the players around, changed formation, even replaced my assistant manager but nothing I do seems to inspire the players to be able to beat teams like QPR and Palace and get out of this slump.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you've overreated to a bad start, and then changed too much. Find your best team and formation, play poor teams in midweek friendlies to bump up confidence and score goals and see how that goes.

You definitely replaced with higher quality..sounds like you may have over reacted as the above post states. 2nd season is always tough at first with teams maybe defending more against you also new signings and players leaving impacts the tactic familiarity. Small changes and tweaks are always better than sweeping changes..keeping carrick and evra would have been a good idea so you could introduce koke and alaba gradually. To get out of the current situation maybe try to play more conservative and grind out some results to improve morale

A mistake I've made too many times to count is changing a winning team.

I, too, am Man Utd on my save but actually won the Champions League and Premiership in the 2nd season having come close in the first - and I'm currently third in my 3rd season.

I haven't made a single first team signing yet. I didn't use Vidic in season 1 as I knew he would leave - but I kept hold of Evra and even Ferdinand stuck around for an extra season whilst I integrated Keane into the squad.

My advice is not to change anything unless you absolutely have to.. That said, the players you seem to have brought in are clearly top quality so perhaps they just need time to blend in. Hopefully your board don't lose patience!

Archived