Help build my squad

Hi forum

I've always had huge problems with analyzing my players attributes and molding a formation around them. Just been promoted to the EPL and I have no idea of what style/mentality/formation I should use with the players available for the league. I want to play real madrid counter attacking style, but I highly doubt my players have the required attributes to do that.

What would you do with the given players? Also keep in mind I have a 24 mil budget this season so I'm free to get rid of/ buy players

http://imgur.com/h759i7C

I managed to get Blackburn promoted in the first season too, so I see where you're coming from.

I'd used a fairly attacking 4 1DM 221 in the Championship, but I dropped it to a more defensive 4 2DM 211 for the first season in the Premier league. Here is a small thread that I started which discussed the tactic and some of the TIs and PIs: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/388032-Can-You-Help-Tightening-my-Defence

With regards squad building, you could go one of two ways really, but with the consideration that your finances aren't brilliant:

- Accept that you have a weak team for the division and be very cautious in the transfer market. That way if you do go down again, you're not crippled financially.

- Decide that £24mil is a huge amount for a promoted team and spend big in the hope of buying survival.

I chose the former. I figured that with some of the high earners in the squad (Best, Robinson, Etuhu, etc) I can't afford to be relegated. I think I spent about £6mil on players in total, the highest fee being on turning Todd Kane's loan into a permanent move. I would say that your centre of defence definitely needs improving and you desperately need a partner/backup for Rhodes. (Here is a post I made about my transfer dealings: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/365102-FM14-The-Sky-Bet-Football-League-Thread-Sponsored-by-William-Hill?p=9453792&viewfull=1#post9453792 There is another slightly lower down on that page).

Also don't forget your Academy. Blackburn seem to produce some excellent prospects each year.

I hope this helps a little.

I think I would go with a 451/433 formation.

CD - D Kilgallon/Hanley

RB?

Spurr - (FB S)

LCM - Cairney (AP-A)

CM - Lowe BWM-D/CM-D)

RCM - Evans (DLP-S)

LW - Conway (IF-A/S)

RW - Marshall (W-A)

ST - Rhodes CS - S

I have this image in my head of Lowe as the combative player who wants to win the ball and lay off to the playmakers Cairney & Evans playing more riskys passes through the defensive line trying to spot Rhodes who is moving into channels. Marshall to supply the main source of crossing (drilling them to the near post perhaps?) and Conway cutting inside and either linking up with Rhodes or shooting. It all sounds good but is that style of play practical in the Premier League now up against higher quality? I think you'll need to feed Rhodes at any given opportunity to stand a chance. This is with no signings made, but I would definitely look at bringing up the standard quality of that defence.

The thing to beware of with Lowe is that, unless you've trained him to lose it, he has the Gets Forward PPM. Not necessarily what you want in your defensive midfielder. That's why I started to play him as a DM-S alongside another DM. Lowe then is able to do his destroying, often further up the pitch, but you've still got someone covering.

You will definitely need someone to be more defensively disciplined in the midfield in that case then. Either a signing, or you could make Evans a DLP-D in CM and play Lowe in RCM as a BWM-S.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I just played our first friendly, won 4-0 with a 4-3-3 with a DM and two wingers. Lowe def does push up too high, just as high as Tom Cairney does in the AP(A) position. I may sell him off to get a more resolute Ball winner, or I could take a risk and use Dickson Etuhu (not in my screenshot), although I'm pretty sure I could get someone better since he's on 43k per week at the moment :eek:

Archived