Interested players being filtered away by assistant

I have a problem in FM2014 (not FMC), which at first seems a minor thing, but which sadly more or less make me not interested in the game (a big thing for a fan of the series since 1992).

My problem is that the assistant manager filters out way too many players, not only unrealistic targets, but also players who are interested in signing.

So if unticking the "filter unrealistic" and bidding, then quite often it is possible to sign some of them with no problem. I typically start in the 4th tier and focus on buying young talents, nurturing them, and until I am in the 1st tier I will rarely have any players left after filtering unrealistic targets. But it may still be possible to sign quite a few of them. My problem is that these days I do not have unlimited time to play, and it litterally drains my interest having to bid on every interesting player in the blind, having their clubs finally agree, and then hoping some of them will join.

I found the balance to be great in previous edition, where filtering would be quite right, but there could still be the odd player who was interested (but filtered) and viceversa.

Do any of you know of any way to work around this? I have tried to use FMRTE to make my assistant manager perfect, but apparantly it is not just due to him being poor. What controls if a player is deemed realistic or not? Club/league/country/manager/player reputation?

I want to stress that this is not because I want every player to be interested in my club, I just want to efficiently gauge who it makes sense to pursue, and who are (for now) out of reach for my greedy little claws.

I imagine its down to the skills of the assistant doing the filtering.

Like all staff they aren't always 100% correct, in fact they are often wrong.

I understand where you are coming from but just like IRL its just one of those things you have to deal with, maybe a change of assistant would help to some extent.

EDIT

Its also possible that he is filtering out some players that are not realistic targets for something other than "Interest on the players behalf"

@Cougar2010

Yeah I imagined it being due to the assistants skills, but as mentioned, editing him to have be perfect (ie. 20 everywhere) did not change it. So it seems there is some other variable being used. Could be league rep or similar. So if anyone has any insigths into what it could be, then I'm all ears.

As an example (arbitrary numbers) I could have a SL of young players with maybe 500 players of PA>150, and when filtering maybe 5 show up. But if unticking the filter and just bidding for say the 50 lowest valued ones (whom will often be some of the lowest rep clubs and players), then maybe 15 of them are interested in discussing terms with me (whether or not I can honor their wishes is another story :)).

I disagree that like RL it is just one of those things you have to deal with. Games are not about realism, games are about making things "appear realistic". If FM were to be realistic, then noone would play it, since just a thing like back-to-back promotions are extremely rare, as well as actually taking a mid-team into the CHL spot in the premiership. Thus games sacrifices realism/tedium in order to allow for enjoyable gameplay.

@shepp2230

No, as I understand it this is the opposite problem. What you are linking to us players who are NOT filtered away as unrealistic (thus looks to be interested in joining), but are in reality not interested in joining you. My issue is the opposite. Players look to be unrealistic, but might be willing to join with no problem.

Is this maybe a misunderstanding of what the filter actually does?

I find any player that WILL discuss with me on a free (when he is filtered out by the assistant) asks for wages which a clearly to much for my team to reasonably handle. I also find there are players who I can sign at the end of contract who will filter as unrealistic before then because (I assume) the team owning the player would ask an unrealistically high sum to purchase them. This is pure speculation, but it's how I've always believed it to work.

I just tried starting a new game with the latest patch to test. I chose Plymouth Argyle from League Two. Using FMRTE, I grabbed a list of u20 players with PA>150. When switching on filtering I have zero players available. Then I tried approaching the 16y guys, where I do not need to bother with getting an agreement with their team. And there I found quite a few who were willing to discuss terms with me, despite being deemed unrealistic. Granted most of them was not exactly thrilled with signing, but a decent contract was enough.

In particular I just agreed terms with two players. Lee Sims and Jordan Rossiter from the academies at Southampton and Liverpool respectively. The scout reports on them deemed that they had no intention of joining me. Both of them are decent youngsters with a PA of 155-160.

And these were just a couple of the youngsters that I tried with. In reality I would not be able to sign more than max one of those due to a high tribunal fee, but typically it would be possible to find similar players that could be signed cheaply from the academies.

I also played around with changing the reputation of the league (from 80->110) and my club (from 3500->6500). Both these changes definitely made more players realistic, but funnily enough not necessarily the players I just signed.

How old is the scout report compared to when you negotiated? Players wage demands and willingness to sign seam to change at different points in the season. It could also be like Negatrev says that there is more to "unrealistic" filtering than just willingness to sign.

Archived