The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanyi:

Yes, I bored a hole through her skull with a pneumatic drill. I then ate her brains with a niiiice chianti. Fthfthfthfthfthfth! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Ali, I was literally bouncing around work, then I get told it's from a magazine but then it turns out he wants to leave.

Mon Hargreaves

I <3 ebay, got the new shirt with Solskjaer 20 on the back for 30 notes

ebay>>>>* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was that what you wanted the money for earlier?

surley OGS, Smith, Rooney and Saha enough up front? Maybe you need another centre midfielder but Fletch, Scholes, Carrick should be enough first choice to play there with various other players JOS, Smith, Giggs who can play there. Hardly a crisis ffs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm disgusted by you byebecks, you're on THE list along with wakey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be so harsh on the lad, he's nowhere near Wakey's league.

• 4 weeks later...

Loaning Smith out looks a good move when you think he needs match fitness but with Rossi out on loan as well and Ole injured it is a bit strange.

But saying that would Smith really have offered us much if he was asked to step in now anyway? Is Fergie thinking Ronaldo or Giggs can step up and play up front if needed?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

As expected really:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bardsley set to come home

Phil Bardsley looks set to return to United when his loan deal with Rangers expires, but team-mate Lee Martin may remain at Ibrox beyond his current agreement.

Bardsley has barely featured for the Gers since a training ground incident with manager Paul Le Guen, and the Frenchman seems happy for the defender to return to Manchester.

Le Guen told Rangers' website: "Phil will probably go back to Manchester United in December. I'll talk with Alex Ferguson, but I think that's the best thing for him."

Martin's displays have been sporadic throughout Rangers' troubled campaign, but he revealed last week that he is keen to extend his deal at Ibrox.

Le Guen admits he needs to discuss the situation with the winger to decide the best outcome for both parties, and the next logical step.

"It really depends on what he wants to do," he said. "I know he thinks he doesn't play enough, but I will talk to him and see where we go from here." </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES!!!

We've looked really thin at the back recently. It's really important that we've got enough cover there. Even despite this, I'd quite like Fergie to bring in someone during January, just to be sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fergie on Saha and penalties

Friday, November 24, 2006

"Louis is fine but we have not decided yet whether he will carry on taking the penalties" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a vote of confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Alain Cayzac admits he would love to bring Gabriel Heinze back to Paris Saint Germain.

Heinze established himself as a firm fans' favourite during three years at Parc des Princes before leaving for Manchester United in 2004.

In recent months, reports have linked the Argentina international with a return to PSG in the January transfer window.

The left-back is rumoured to be wanted on loan for the second half of the season and remains revered in the French capital.

PSG chairman Cayzac acknowledged his admiration for Heinze when discussing the possibility of signing his compatriot Marcelo Gallardo.

"I loved Gallardo when he was at Monaco," Cayzac told L'Equipe. "I love playmakers, with talent for passing.

"Moreover, he is a player of strong character, like the Argentinians that have played recently at PSG, like Sorin and Heinze.

"I would like to make Heinze come back to Paris, but it won't be possible immediately."

Heinze has recently stated his happiness at Old Trafford as he duels with Patrice Evra to become United's first-choice left-back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldnt see that posted anywhere else in here, apologies if so

From the BBC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Charlton expects Man Utd signings

By Mandeep Sanghera

Manchester United director Sir Bobby Charlton says manager Sir Alex Ferguson will strengthen his side's Premiership title push by bringing in new players.

United head the top flight by eight points from champions Chelsea, with the January transfer window approaching.

And, asked if Ferguson would be making new signings, United legend Charlton told BBC Sport: "Absolutely.

"We think we have good enough players but we just maybe have to be a bit careful we don't have cover for them."

Doubts have been raised over United's strength in depth compared to that of Chelsea and any weaknesses could be exposed during the second half of the season as the challenge for the domestic title, FA Cup and Champions League takes its toll.

Ferguson has been linked with a move for Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves and Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres but Charlton was keeping quiet about any possible targets.

He added: "We have to have cover for our better players.

"If some of the really influential players got injured then that makes it a bit of a problem.

"It's very difficult as we can't mention anybody that we would like to have because immediately the price goes up once Manchester United are interested and it becomes an auction.

"We have to be really careful. We will leave that to Sir Alex and chief executive David Gill. They will keep it nice and private and, hopefully, we will get the players we want."

Charlton lauded the revival Ferguson has masterminded at Old Trafford in turning United into title contenders after some recent lean years.

He believes a start that has yielded 14 wins from 17 league games has set the foundation for United's title assault but Charlton knows there is still a long way to go in the race for the Premiership crown.

"For the first time we had a really good start to the season," said Charlton. "We got into matches at the start of the season whereas last year we would draw or even lose them - this year we have won them.

"We can only be judged when we win something and, as far as Sir Alex Ferguson is concerned, there is only one thing that you have to win and that is your own championship. Nothing else matters really.

"We are in a great position. We've got a few points start but we have a lot of football to play.

"There's a lot of things that will happen. People will make silly mistakes and referees will make stupid decisions. It will happen. It's all colourful and that's football." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Cover' this, 'back-up' that.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a crack at predicting the rest of the season:

Reading H - 3

newcastle A - 3

Villa H - 3

Arsenal A - 0

Watford H - 3

Spurs A - 3

Charlton H - 3

Fulham A - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Bolton H - 3

Blackburn H - 3

Portsmouth A - 3

Sheffield Utd H - 3

Chelsea A - 0

Boro H - 3

Everton A - 1

City A - 1

West Ham H - 3

Total 42 (50) - 92

CHELSEA

Fulham H - 3

Villa A - 1

Wigan H - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Charlton A - 3

Boro H - 3

Man City A - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Shef U H - 3

Watford A - 3

Spurs H - 3

West Ham A - 1

Man Utd H - 3

Newcastle A - 3

Bolton H 3

Arsenal A - 0

Everton H 3

Total 43 (46) - 89

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

None <STRIKE>Very few</STRIKE> of our second stringers made a case for breaking into the first team. Saha at least looked bothered and bright until he started getting closed down by multiple men and kicked to bits by Bikey, but still functioned better than most so I guess he's my MOM. Ole gets second for running his ******** off.

MOM: Saha

2ND: OGS

I've left the TV to write this, who did we get Boro or WBA? God help us if we conspire to play like this again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed. Too much credit.

I also noticed more than one occasion when KR could have chased back (after it being himself who f**ked up and gave the ball away - SHOCKER) ... but didnt... he just watched Reading come at us on the counter

There was absolutely zero reason for him to be on the field. Let alone for the full 90.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

pipe down grandad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not me who keeps his teeth in a glass of water by the bedside table. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither do I, ffs icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

the loss of park looking big at the minute. mongy to moan i know, but we really have been exceptionally unlucky to hit a patch like this, when the games come thicker and faster than ever, and get injury after injury. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's far more the case that as we were saying at the start of the season, the squad is at least a couple of players of the right quality light, and rather than us being unlucky now, we were exceptionally lucky to have as few injuries as we did earlier in the season.

I also think that the decision to get a striker on loan until march rather than either get one until the end of the season, or keep Rossi, has been proved to be a poor one. And that's not hindsight, as there were a number of people saying that at the time the deal was done, myself included.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Incidentally, have any of our pre-season plans been announced as yet? Can’t remember if I’ve missed any news on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only the tour of Asia is confirmed at the moment i think. not even been many rumours apart from the expected game vs Glentoran in Belfast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We play Peterborough on August 4th too I think

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Woo great news. Things just get better and better.

First we win the league and now i've landed a new job paying £20,000 a year with all the overtime i want paid at £150 a day. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations Taz.

Oh and Ronaldo icon14.gif A great thing to do.

• 3 weeks later...

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lads, season over, moping after saturday mostly over, time for our annual awards SPECTACULAR

you all (mostly) know the drill - categories are below, please try and vote in all categories and by all means give reasons. once you've deliberated, cogitated, masticated etc, email your votes to unitedawards2007@gmail.com, making sure your OTF username is present in the email somewhere, preferably in the subject line. voting will be provisionally open until the weekend, but if we can get everyone's votes in sooner then all the better.

United Thread Player of the Year:

Young Player of the Year:

Reserve Player of the Year:

Worst Player of the Year:

Most Improved Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Favourite Player/Cult Hero:

Best Team Performance:

Best Individual Performance:

Worst Team Performance:

Favourite Moment:

Worst Moment:

Biggest Disappointment:

Funniest Moment:

Goal of the Season:

Favourite Game:

Best Decision:

Worst Decision:

Best Chant/Song:

Best Away Fans:

Worst Away Fans:

Best Away Trip:

3 Players to Sign:

3 Players to Go:

Most Looking Forward to Next Year:

United Thread User of the Year:

United Thread Worst User:

United Thread Most Improved User:

Opposition fan we don't really mind contributing that much:

Opposition fan about as welcome as Kieran Richardson in a starting XI:

few clarifications:

* young player is for those aged 21 and under and CAN include those out on loan

* worst player is for the outright worst player, whereas most disappointing player is for the player who has fallen below his usual standards.

* worst moment is for an individual moment in time that was particularly awful (a late goal conceded etc), biggest disappointment is more general.

* best/worst decision can be interpreted as you wish - a managerial decision, a club decision, a refereeing decision etc

* 3 players to sign = the three players you'd most like us to bring in. realism is desirable. 3 players to go is obviously the three you want to see shipped out.

***right, this is lurching dangerously close to shambles territory i'll admit, but some awards business:

a few people have voted for players out on loan in the young player category. in hindsight this should have been allowed from the start really, my bad. obviously i'm sure people have voted for someone when they may have otherwise voted for a loanee, so if you want to change your vote, fling me an email at the awards address and i'll change it (unitedawards2007@gmail.com)

while you're at it, i really like gonch's idea of 'favourite player/cult hero' so if you want to email a vote in that category either on it's own or with the young player amendment, that'd rule. and anyone voting from now on should tack this award on (i'll add it on next time i re-post the voting form)

the OTFUTAC would like to apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your tolerance of such f**kwittery.***

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm gonna start posting this every ten minutes until the rest of you c**ts vote icon_mad.gif

Archived