The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i'd bite their hands off if they offered over 25m. we'd surely get lennon for around 15m? maybe a little more? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much as i like Lennon, that's an awful lot of money for teenager who's played ~30 top flight games. To put it in perspective, we only played £12m for Ronaldo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't disgaree with that, but in lennon we're more likely to have a player who will reach his full potential with us than ronaldo is, and in reality, it's only a matter of time before ronaldo fecks off to spain anyway. if it's not this off-season it'll be in one of the next two...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

If Madrid get Kaka and Robben (or even just one of them), Ronaldo's a bit shafted anyway. He's not a primary target for Capello, and if Madrid don't want him, where else can he go?

Barca - don't think they'd be interested, and if they were he'd be fighting with Giuly and Gudjohnsen for a place on the bench.

Other Spanish clubs - surely only Valencia would appeal to him, and I doubt they could afford the asking price.

All the top Italian clubs could well be out of the picture depending on the verdicts/punishments this week, unless he fancies Inter and they reciprocate.

Which leaves Chelsea? And I can see Fergie being a stubborn **** if it comes down to that. After all, the main basis for him wanting to leave it to realise an ambition of playing in Spain, and/or to escape the nasty English press/fans. Would take a monster bid from them I fancy.

Ronnie's doing a grand job of burning his bridges as quickly as possible at the minute, and he might just want to be a bit careful.

I'm now vaguely remembering Jimlad posting a more literate version of this not long ago, but hey ho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's all very well to talk about him being shafted, but it shafts us as well. There's simply no mileage in trying to keep players who have decided they want to leave. We all saw how bad he was last season when his mind wasn't right but he wanted to do well. Can you imagine how he'll be when he doesn't want to be here?

The options we have if we can't persuade him to want to stay are basically get rid of him and get a fee towards getting a replacement, or keep him knowing he'll almost certainly be less effective than even last year and have no one to bring in if we drop him.

In those circumstances, we might have to accept that the lesser of two evils is to sell him at a reduced fee.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I dont know about that being the ONLY reason we wont strengthen enough.. Fergie's been known to mis-spend before </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the only reason Fergie doesn't have the resources he would have had under the PLC or with a sensible takeover. Not saying for a minute I'd completely expect Fergie to spend a bumper transfer kitty that wisely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah right. £12.5m in the january window on defenders who were undoubtedly a lower priority than getting a central midfielder, plus at least £2m-3m on a goalkeeper this summer. If we don't strengthen this summer, you can't possibly blame that on anyone but Fergie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can, and I will quite frankly icon_biggrin.gif

We spent **** all last summer, that £12m was effectively last summer's transfer budget if the Glazers hadn't turned up.

Like I say, I'm not saying Fergie is some wizard in the transfer market being completely hamstrung by the Glazers, but they've had a massive impact.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I dont care anymore.

Just get someone not called Vieira.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

preferably someone who speaks italion, knows what it's like to be a recent champion of something and has facial hair!

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I officially declare that this thread has 'gone to the dogs'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we should blame foobs.

He upset the natural order of things by starting this thread instead of mark.

Its been a butterfly effect of badness ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

On his face or chest?

I'm considering adopting Fletcher as my favourite player now, he's got the whole niche of not being widely popular ala O'Shea or Silvestre but unlike them he's actually fb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Rooney's back for the game against us then right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

think so </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scruttocks. icon_frown.gif

David Jones isnt as good and never will be as good as the golden generation that went before him but when you see O'Shea, Fletcher and Richardson getting a lot of games it does beg the question why isnt Jones?

Going by reserve games and loan moves he has easily shown he is as good as them in those enviroments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I thought Vidic and Scholes were banned? at least it means Richardson's not there at least icon_biggrin.gif

Can understand resting Giggs, but Ronaldo should start tbh, and I think we'll miss Neville at right back, and I'd much rather have Wes in the middle than Silv. Still with Scholes and Rooney in there we should be able to create chances, and if not we can bring Ronnie on, so as long as we don't concede then we should be alright. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh well, glad we didn't wait for 70 mins to bring him on. Let him get a hattrick then take him off tbh icon_biggrin.gif

also I've always preferred Ronnie to Rooney, but once Rooney gets a settled partner up front he'll be just as effective.

Ole \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo beats Mourinho to award

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo has been named Portugal's sportsman of the year ahead of Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, who finished third.

The honour, handed out by Portuguese newspaper A Bola, recognised Ronaldo's "contribution to the expansion of Portuguese football across the world".

Ronaldo, 21, said: "I'm very happy with what I've achieved and want to continue at this level in 2007."

Mourinho, the winner in 2004, finished behind Benfica striker Nuno Gomes.

Ronaldo was heavily criticised in sections of the British media after he appeared to encourage referee Horacio Elizondo to send off Wayne Rooney during England's World Cup defeat by Portugal in July.

His United team-mate Rooney revealed in August that "we have got no problem with each other now".

And after surviving the backlash following his World Cup antics, Ronaldo has rediscovered his best form.

Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton, a director at Old Trafford, has been so impressed with Ronaldo, who has scored 14 goals for club and country this season, that he has tipped the Portugal player to become the 2007 Footballer of the Year.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

United want treble repeat

Manchester United number two Carlos Queiroz insists that The Red Devils are looking to emulate their treble success of 1999.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side are desperate to recapture the Premiership crown they have gone without since 2003.

"It's not enough for us to compete only for the league," he told United Radio.

"We also have ambitions and a great desire to win the other competitions as well.

"The reality at the moment dictates that the championship will probably be a two-horse race.

"But that isn't the case when it comes to the FA Cup and Champions League - it's wrong to think those competitions are also between us and Chelsea."

Queiroz also feels that United cannot think that the title is already won.

"We deserve our position because we're playing the best football in the league at the moment and all the lads are doing very well," he said.

"But we haven't won anything yet though. We're in a good position as a result of our hard work, commitment and concentration and we must keep that going until the end of the season.

"The race will not be easy and I'm sure Chelsea will not give us any chances to make mistakes.

"We cannot just enjoy the fact that we're six points clear, we need to build on that.

"If we don't, then that is when you make mistakes and one small mistake could represent big punishment for us.

"Letting our focus and our state of alertness slip even just a little bit is the wrong attitude for us." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus Christ they're all at it.

He's right about not letting our attitude slip though.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

are people just burying their heads in the sand or do you genuinely think Gaby will still be with us at the start of next season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's 70% towards the exit door come the summer barring a diabolical turn in Evra's form.

Don't see him asking for a transfer or anything though, and I think he's loyal enough not to make waves and if he didn't move come September 1st I think he'd come out with "I'll fight for my place" quotes.

That being said I think despite the fact that he isn't playing his stock is high enough (and has increased during his time at OT) that we should be expecting to get about £9 million for him.

Though with the crack negotiating team that makes up our executives that'll probably end up around the £5 million mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Reserves 0-0 Half Time.

Brown, Silvestre and Fletch looking different class. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a reason for that tbf. icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Southgate added: "He is a young kid and he will learn a lesson from that.

"We would all in that situation love to do what he did but you have got to be mature enough and hold your ground and make the right tackle."

what an utterly odious little twat he is.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Fat arse never even bothered to stop to pick the Fosters up ffs i did.

Didn't really have time to check i had all the bags with full cans in but you probably did get some you jobless pikey scumbag icon_razz.gif

Whats your excuse for being late today anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

felt sick, went back to bed, woke up at 2 in something of a panic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fecking slacker icon_wink.gif

a bit of a lame excuse really icon_wink.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

Someone like Ruud? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Signing Ruud back would be the greatest day of my life. Ruud>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

he's been linked with Spurs and Bolton, nothing particularly concrete though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ty, Nick. icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived