The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

interview with bobby charlton on ssn fairly interesting. when asked about ronnie and ruud he stated that ronaldo wouldnt be going anywhere. the reporter then had to ask separately about ruud when he fumbled for a yeah, he will be staying, manager will decide on players future type mumbling.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was bored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In a slightly Arsenal thread-esque manner, I’m going to do my top Ruud memories at United, in no particular order.

1) His start to his United career, that goal against Liverpool in the Charity Shield and 2 goals on his league debut against Fulham which made him an popular player from the off.

2)The double against Deportivo, a couple of really good goals too, especially the second from such a tight angle. The CL record chase was underway.

3)His first hat-trick against Southampton, though the thing I remember most Is Phil Neville scoring a beauty icon_biggrin.gif

4)That turn and finish against Sunderland in his first season.

5)That long goalscoring run, culminating in breaking the consecutives games/goals record at home to Blackburn, and the celebration.

6)Those two goals to save us at Villa Park in the cup tie. “It’s Van Nistelrooy again, ohhhhhh yes†The pitch invasion \o/

7)Finishing top scorer in the Champions League in his debut season, 36 goals overall.

8)That last minute penalty against Nantes to finally end the heroics of Landreau who had a stunner that night.

9)The late penner at home to Leverkusen, another memorable celebration.

10)Harshly getting that ZTE keeper sent off and not letting Forlan take the penalty icon_biggrin.gif

11)Fat Sam saying that Ruud had been “found out†at the start of the 02/03 season and then Ruud going on to score 44 goals that term. Sod off Sam.

12)The two goals away at Leverkusen, revenge.

13)The hat-trick against Newcastle, everything had been going so badly and then it all turned around with that performance.

14)The goals away at Basle, in particular that second from the seemingly impossibly angle. “It’s two in a minute and a half!â€

15)The double at home to West Ham in the 6-0 game.

16)The goal at home to Juve from Beckham’s long pass with him throwing the shirt into the crowd before O’Shea launched himself onto him icon_biggrin.gif

17)The hat trick and THAT goal against Fulham. “They can close the betting on goal of the month…maybe even the season!â€

18)Single-handedly keeping us in the Real Madrid tie in both legs, his spirit and determination was something else in both matches.

19)At the time scoring his 14th European goal that season and another European golden boot being secured.

20)Finishing the season with a frankly ridiculous goalscoring run, breaking his own previous record, and stretching it to the start of the next season.

21)That goal against Arsenal at Highbury, what a night.

22)The 25 goals to win the Premiership golden boot that season.

23)That goal on the US Tour from Veron’s pass, that was just stunning.

24)The goal at St. James Park and the dance with Djemba icon_biggrin.gif

25)The hat-trick at Leicester the week after the Arsenal game, what a response.

26)Setting up a goal for Giggs against Stuttgart with some stunning footwork and close control that any player would be proud of.

27)The late winners against Southampton and Everton as our defence crumbled without Rio.

28)The FA Cup goals against Man City and the ensuing celebration icon_biggrin.gif

29)Returning from injury to save us away in Lyon, one of the few bright spots when it comes to our European away games.

30)THAT penalty against Arsenal, probably my favourite goal of his.

31)The four goals against Sparta Prague.

32)The vital winner at home to Lyon when the team was in trouble following Carroll’s ****-up.

33)Saving us at home to Benfica, the first game for a while that I’d attended in a while with a late winner, amusingly after everyone around me had left.

34)That stunning goal against Charlton this season, along with a goal from outside the box icon_eek.gif

35)Nearly saving us at Ewood Park last season, from the bench annoyingly.

150 goals, a European record second to none and a great desire to see us win, what more could you want from a player?

He’s given us five great years, his best years and sadly doesn’t have as much to show for it as his talents really merit. Though it has been coming a long while when the news came that he was going it was still a shock somehow, even if it maybe is for the best.

The definitive number 10 for me.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

No idea if you know this already, but Danny Simpson, Johnny Evans, Darron Gibson, Souleymane Mamam, and Frazier Campbell are all now listed on Royal Antwerp's site as players for the 06/07 squad. They've also signed Kirk Hilton icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

We never would have gone to pens if the useless **** never resorted to thuggery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come off it Dom, you know it was never a red.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

this is just ace icon_biggrin.gif first game of the season and can't sell it out icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United v Fulham, Sunday 20 August, kick off 1:30pm

One United Members who applied for this game have been successful subject to payments being debited. A number of tickets remain and these are available to One United Members by calling 0870 772 1999.

If you are interested in becoming a Season Ticket holder for Season 2006/2007, please call 0870 442 1999 or click here for further information.

If you have not yet renewed your Membership and would like to apply for Fulham tickets please call 0870 442 1994 option 2 then 5.

For information of 2006/2007 Season Tickets click here or call 0870 442 1999.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbf, it's often a struggle to sell out the early games of the season, with people still being on holiday and such. Better to judge a couple of months down the line.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

Bayern just released a statement saying they wont consider any offers /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they probably mean it, but we've seen time and time again clubs do that only to sell soon after.

For wednesday, i'm not convinced by Ole's comeback yet, and all accounts are saying Rossi has looked out of touch (until the reserve game at least) so i'd be tempted to go with this

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

VDS

Neville Rio Wes Evra

Park O'Shea Fletcher Giggs

Ronaldo

Saha </pre>

And a bench of Kuzszczazk, Silvestre, Jones, Rossi, Solskjaer.

If Neville isn't fit then it's obviously Brown to RB and Silvestre into the middle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The same arguments used to defend Fletcher can be used to defend Richardson tbh. Young, half his games or more played out of position... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. Richardson hasn't played anything like half his games out of position, and he hasn't been anything like as good as Fletcher when they've both played in position. The only one that's appliacable is age still allowing room for improvement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many games did he play at left back?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

My interpretation of it is that he says he never says we are not interested in him as a player just that we didnt want to pay "the significant sum" and that we weren't interested in the loan deal offered.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"While he is clearly a very good player it was decided he wasn't required at the club." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I sit in West Tier 2 Row 38, sit next to Bagpuss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you get a bit of an atmosphere in Stretford End then.. probably only place in ground where noise comes from. Actually them few rows behind the goal in East Stand occasionally shout "UNITED!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

yeah that worked a treat last time round </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True , but theres one big difference, were at home in the last game and the team is a LOT more confident this time around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So we'll go into it overconfident and with the thought that we've got it in the bag because it's at Old Trafford this time, then get humped by a team that 'just wanted it more'.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">which could hurt the club in the long run. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Glazers want to make money personal wealth for thme is that good in the long run

Stop buying tickets and you stop the Glazers simple as

• 2 weeks later...

P!ss poor isnt the word. You just knew we were dropping points when Chelsea won from the position they were in.

Look at JM earlier, they were losing so he takes off defenders to bring on attackers, us? We take off Carrick and bring on a centre half.

Even if Carrick is injured why are we bringing on a centre half and one that just ****ing awful?

We have to stop this walking, strolling crap that leaves us problems and no way of injecting pace into our game when needed.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Betfair list it as

Man Utd 1.56

Chelsea 3.15

Liverpool 38

Arsenal 34 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

christ. well worth a few quid on chelsea that

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

hmm I'm not sure re: Saha or Larsson.

I wouldn't be displeased by either starting tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nor me, though to be honest I'd prefer Larsson on the basis that I want to see him play as much as possible before he goes back.

• 2 weeks later...

back on the subject of fletch - was flicking through one of the tabloids earlier (yeah, should have known better) and saw he was given a rating of 5 by one hack, accompanied by the comment "what does he do apart from run around and play five yard passes?". gotta love journalists not actually bothering to watch the game icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

season has been quality although it will be soul destroying if we dont win anything now. our football deserves it.

what i find more incredible is the fact that for the last 4/5 weeks we have been down to the bare bones pretty much. i mean, we beat ac milan with a completely 2nd string defence ffs. against sheff united we only had 2 fit defenders, with fletch and richardson as makeshift fullbacks.

remember how we were all ridiculing the strength of the squad at the start of the season? you've got to give it to them in getting us this far, whatever happens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

I'm just rewatching the Eagles goal again. That really was some finish. Ole-like composure from the lad. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but he did his best to try and fall down before that icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That made it even better. You'd expect him to shank it well wide with that run up. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm not in the "well we've still got league and cup to play for so it doesn't bother me" camp for reasons i went into yesterday. But it hasn't bothered me as much as some exits because we were simply never in the game. I don't know why it works like that, i'd have thought the awful performance would have added to the dissapointment, but it doesn't seem to have worked that way.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose that's the thing isn't it. The reason why Leverkusen hurt so much is that we were SO close to it, yet fecked it all up. Whereas it was over after 25 minutes yesterday.

I always wondered why Nick was so vitriolic towards Razzler, but I reckon I'm getting the picture now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived