The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

I wonder why Dortmund would accept £6m off you for Nuri.

They rejected £5m off chelsea, and that was before he became a first-team regular for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's nothing to suggest they will accept £6m, or that we'll even bid, is there? Unless you've heard something more concrete - just seemed total paper talk to me.

He wasn't dropped really. He was very much first-choice at the end of the previous season, the book stuff came out over the summer and he was sold just after the beginning of the next season, despite playing in the opening game against Fulham.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cappo Smiffy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

Friend of mine in on the spurs side of things just sent me a message. He seems to think the deal is 13.6 rising to 17 with 20% going to West Ham - which would explain the higher fee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There isn't a sell on fee for West Ham afaik, there is for Defoe, but Carrick had a year left on his deal when we signed him and don't think there's a clause like that in there.

Would be surprised if it was £8m upfront with £6m in installments, then rising to £17m/£18m based on achievements, wouldn't suit us much as far as summer spending is concerned </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear that a lot when people talk about transfers done in installments, but i'm not sure it's actually a problem. I think most foreign transfers, and now the major British ones as well, are done with a portion of the money upfront and the rest in installments. So if you wanted to spend the money this summer, you'd almost certainly be spreading your payments over 2-3 years as well. So it all balances out in the end.

I'm not 100% certain of that, but i think it's the case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You get the feeling the Carrick thing was announced at the same time as Ruud leaving to make us take the focus off the fact one of our best strikers has left. A positive spin on it I guess. DOesn't really work though. I couldn't care that we signed a midfielder. Ruud is gone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly i wish we had gone for Torres last season rather than waiting!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

So we're giving them two players for free, getting one player on loan and we have to pay a future fee?

Great business </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two players surplus to requirements off the wage bill and allowed to further their careers elsewhere, a key position filled with a loan signing (allowing Foster to go to Watford) and absolutely no mention of a confirmed future fee.

So yeah, great business? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how exactly? if we dont sign kusczcak after a year they've bought two decent and valuable youngsters for free, and there's every chance kusczcak won't play more than 5 games for us. its a load of ********

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

How do I change formation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See the yellow boxes next to the players names? Clicking it removes the player from the XI, then clicking the green one next to the benched players puts them on, so take a striker off, put a defender on or whatever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are no green boxes on mine for some reason. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll do screenies if you're still having trouble icon_biggrin.gif

couldnt see it already posted...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Marcos Senna's agent has given Manchester United a deadline of Friday to conclude one of the summer's longest running transfer sagas.

The Villarreal midfield man has been a long-term target of United, but protracted negotiations have failed to broker a deal.

The player's agent, Elis Coimbra, admits his client is losing his patience, with the deal now appearing to hinge on United's paymasters pushing through a deal with the Liga club.

Coimbra claims Sir Alex Ferguson is confident of clinching Senna's signature, but the Spain international is now looking for an official confirmation.

"If we have not received confirmation from United by Friday then the deal is off and the player will remain in Villarreal," said Coimbra.

"We have been in contact for a number of weeks but we have not been able to come to an agreement.

"I have spoken much with Ferguson and [Carlos] Queiroz and they are confident, but the problems are in getting the okay from the owners."

Senna is contracted to The Yellow Submarines until 2007, and Coimbra refused to rule out the possibility of the player seeing out the final 12 months of his contract at El Madrigal if a move to United fails to materialise.

"If the move does not happen then he will remain with Villarreal and we'll discuss his future at the end of the season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nuts:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We have the players to cover and there is nothing we can do about it now but one thing is for sure, we will not be playing in the Amsterdam tournament again, you can bet your life on that." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'll teach you Dutch lot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ferguson just proves what a sad figure he has become really... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all due respect, your FA declined to send a report to our FA about the red cards Liverpool incurred in the tournament three years ago, and as recently as last weekend, they decided against sending a report after Sheffield United's Ade Akinbiyi was sent off against Sparta Rotterdam.

Meanwhile we recieve at least one, some would say two harsh red cards, AND have a report sent over to the FA ruling key players out of Premiership games. I've no idea why the Dutch FA treated our case differently, but why would we risk playing over there again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes I clearly remember that incident years ago. and surely Scholes card was ridiculous....

Btw did you know we are taught to dislike ManU at school in Holland?

Better avoid playing there from now on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

I thought before the window shut. Could be wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was first game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Martin isn't fat tbh.

Oh & Martin get me a ticket for Tottenham kthx.

I jsut remembered that against Fulham when the "**** off Englanbd" chant started this guy in the stretty turned around to his mate about 5 rows behind him & shouted "why the **** are you singing that ****?" icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arse kisser. Should have got a ST ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay then you're fat, get me a Tottenham ticket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I am top of the queue for any spares on here for the simple reason I go to the wall more often than any of the other non-season ticket holders.

That & I have put up with Martin & Keith in a foreign country not once, not twice but three times icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how your still alive i have no clue

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

haha the Sun has just got worse icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't jump to conclusions, thousands of papers he could have meant icon15.gif

Ok you're right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A sheppard herds the sheep:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegard_R:

I don't really like Gamst either </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why whats wrong with him? i like the guy, good player who works hard for his team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same as Riise, he's always in the media here, for his hair, his cars or his fancy new clothes.

Not like OGS, who's got his feet firmly on the ground

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

And didn't we work out that the Glazer's still have £58M spare for transfers? Why do we need another 12M, that should surely be enough for Huntelaar?

://///////////////////////////////////////////////////// </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the "theoretical" amount. None of us know the real available amount.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

and people think we're going to push chelsea all the way icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to my world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahem </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok our world.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Vds, G Nev, Ferd, Sil, Evra, Fletch, Carr, O'shea, Rich, Roon, Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh god no icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would appear to be the way forward. 3-0, ffs. God alone knows how. Mon no changes for the weekend. icon_biggrin.gif

Just got home, btw.

Crowd was dismal, all I heard was fecking scousers. icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

definitely home first. We seem to go all out when we're away first to not concede, so even if we manage a 0-0 one slip in the home leg leaves us struggling.

This tie was a case in point. We didn't deserve to score in the first leg, and had it been 0-0, 1 slip would have seen us need two in the 90 minutes. At least if we're too negative at home in the first leg, we'd be forced to be more open in the second, where a high scoring opne game would be more to our advantage.

Having said all that, if we continue with current form it won't matter who we get in the next round or which order the ties are in, we'll go out regardless, and the league will start to look tight as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Bale is young enough that he could easily convert to a left midfielder.

He's a very skilled player on the ball from what i've seen of him, he's a very astute technical player for his age.

I don't think he's ever going to be a Ronaldo type, but he certainly has the ability to be a Beckham type player with his ability to deliver good quality balls. He also has a bit of pace too.

Would love United to sign him for the long term. Could develop long term into a very good full back or winger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm i wonder why?!

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

so upset I can't go to the semi. icon_frown.gif

btw you should all get tickets, everybody gets Blackburn (just over 6,000 tickets) and say the minimum the allocation is going to be double that (12,000) it looks promising. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, but a cup semi is a different proposition to blackburn away for loads of our fans, and so many are on the auto cup scheme now that applications will exceed the allocation i reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do you mean by that?

applying for tickets won't involve the auto cup scheme, the game isn't played at old trafford. it's just the same as Boro away you had to ring up and apply as per usual.

watford will certainly send back a couple of thousand tickets anyway, I think you'll defo get them.

• 2 weeks later...

oh yeh dudes, got in an argument with 3 spurs fans on friday about glazer. they were saying we are in no worse a position with him in charge, the fact we're in net profit for transfers 'is proof of shrewd financial management' (i know), as long as we do well on the pitch no-one cares etc etc to the point where i left the pub in disgust.

i tried explaining it all but they wouldnt listen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

as for the whole bothered/not bothered argument that clichébot has been attempting to kick off...

a) i doubt anyone is completely not arsed. i don't deign to speak for Ryan or anyone else, but i'd imagine the 'not arsed' is in the context of still having two big trophies to play for and never really expecting to get anywhere near this far in europe anyway, rather than 'i felt no negative emotion whatsoever at us getting knocked out and actually wanted it to happen', as the prize moron seems to be interpreting it.

b) i was gutted last night, still a bit down today. i think apart from in the immediate hour or two before the game i was probably more optimistic than anyone that we'd get through, hence why i'm maybe a bit more disappointed than most. even so, now in the cold light of day it really isn't up there with Leverkusen, Dortmund, Porto, even Monaco if i'm honest. when you're beaten by a clearly better side, especially when you don't turn up, it is easier to take (Madrid and Bayern in '00 and '01, Milan in '05). the fact Liverpool are in the final is a double-edged sword - yes it would have been nice to have had the chance to beat them, but equally we've dodged the potential bullet of losing to them on that kind of stage. don't really see why any of us should particularly be moping about because we don't get the chance to play that lot in the final anyway.

c) with a league title to try and clinch and the first cup final at the new wembley to look forward to, i don't really see why any of us should be moping at all, and i think it's really cretinous for complete outsiders who have no idea whatsoever of the emotions we're going through telling us how we should be feeling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by titchuk:

Dunno whether I want Milan or Liverpool

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, for full impact imagine the following is in RED 7pt bold....

WHAT THE MERRY **** ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT YOU UTTER SPANNER? IT'S LIVERPOOL. YOU KNOW, THEM. 5 TIMES RING ANY BELLS? TOOL. JUST LOG OFF 'EH.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

21 now, yeah

didn't think that through if i'm honest icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't that leave Keiron Lee and Chris eagles as the only players who qualify who've played a league game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they don't have to have played a league game. Craig Cathcart won the club's young player of the year award this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't, but i'm thinking realistically how many users could vote for that. Especially given there's also a reserve player of the year, which is going to be polled from a very similar group of players.

I don't have any particular objection to it being in, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How did i forget Southend when voting for this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

most people tend to wipe those sort of results from memory.

for me losing like that to southend was far worse than losing to the eventual european cup winners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Full Pre-Season Fixtures

17 July v Urawa Red Diamonds (A)

20 July v FC Seoul (A)

23 July v Shenzhen Xiangxue Eisiti (A)

1 August v Internazionale (H)

3 August v Doncaster (A)

5 August v Chelsea (Wembley)

8 August v Glentoran (Belfast) – United XI

8 August v Dunfermaline (Edinburgh) – United XI </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peterborough away on the 4th too

Archived