The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

We could lock the thread every Tuesday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm sure i'm missing something obvious here... why tuesdays? icon_biggrin.gif

I know we're all anxious for signings but hypothetically if its a case of paying £15mill+ for Carrick tomorrow or waiting until after the Italian football corruption case has closed to try and pick off the likes of Gattuso, Zambrotta, Pirlo et al. what would people prefer.

I'd take the latter purely because we can go back in for the former, but the host of players that could be available if they punish Juve and Milan as badly as they threatened today don't come on the market very often.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Wilson Pickett is a good shout to replace Ruud imo. Straight swap, soul for goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. He's just another Ronaldo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I'm Gonna Cry" (1964, Atlantic) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

So until this story breaks, Nickford is reduced to talking in riddles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's so obvious, you can do your own punchlines.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

John Van Lampard icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking more sense than a fair few in here today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know. That's what makes it funnier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SarfLondonSpur:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Martin impressed again when he came on, i hope he gets a decent chance in the first team this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Martin and Ronaldo are in the same side, the fullbacks are going to have a torrid, torrid, time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rumours that Lee Martin may be coming on loan to Rangers for the season, no idea if there is anything behind them though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Footballing wise, he'd be great. However, Glasgow probably isnt the best place for him on a personal level

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I've had a shyte weekend.

What happened at the Amsterdam tournament? Did we win?

Are we going to sign anyone else?

kthx. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Aw, do tell.

2. Yep. The only trophy we'll win this season and you missed it.

3. Tevez, if you believe the Star. More than likely Senna and maybe Kuszcak.

4. You're welcome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Generally I still think he had a good end to the season despite that, he's just written off as a Conference defender and isn't given the credit he deserves when he does have good games.

I for one am glad he's still in our squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not reliable. That was simple the most obvious example of what's wrong with him, in that his concentration is not good enough for a top class defender. Most of his other attributes probably are a lot of the time, but without that you become a liability who's mistakes are likely to give goals away, regardless of how well you play for the other 89 minutes in a match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

I see James never shared the trivia question I sent him with you lot.

14 players surname beginning with S who have played for you lot since Ferguson took over.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ended up with 15, although one i wasn't sure if he'd played under Fergie or not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

don't think there's anything more to be read into it than them being completely focused on the game ahead and trying to ignore the sentimentality of the occasion. nothing to be particularly sad about really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but not even looking at each other... pffft.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i agree. if you're moaning tonight then there's something really wrong. (unless moaning about off pitch matters like our fans singing the steven ****ing gerrard song icon_mad.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do you think we'd have switched to 4-4-2 if they hadn't scored that goal? And if they'd scored it with 10 minutes to go instead of 65, do you think we'd have still gonme through? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe it was all part of the plan to get a reaction from the players.

but seriously, obviously it was a bad decision but we showed the strength of character to come through it and win the group. im pretty damn happy tbh, cant wait for the draw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is that it's gone pear shaped enough times trying to play that way that we should know better by now. And if Fergie doesn't learn the lessons from performances like tonight quickly, it's going to seriously cost us, as it could so easily have done tonight.

• Administrators

He's a very good player, not really sure on his best position because he does a lot well, can be the Makelele type defensive midfielder, or the Essien type box to box, although he's not as good as either. He's international (French) quality though, maybe the same sort of ability as Hargreaves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Cech is back too, if he is as good as before, that's massive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah true. Robben hardly out long term either. They need him so bad down the left.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

If he retired having won the premiership with arguably four different sides the legend would probably be complete and it would be in everyones best interests if he left (as long as we don't sign Sven as a replacement).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see it as completely the opposite, if he takes the title again then it is proof that is still the best man for the job and should stay. Needs to sort the European tactics out though.

• 2 weeks later...

only our 3rd win away in 18 euro trips </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ that really shows how dreadful we are away from home in the CL and is completely unacceptable :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Anyone else find it mildly depressing that the only members of our first team to have been 'groomed' through the youth team and reserves are just the remaining members of the class of 92?

Even if you expand it to our overall squad, you only add in Brown, O'Shea and Richardson icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Catchment ruling to blame? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

partly, more down to our scouting network being a bit gash i suspect.

Was doing the BBC predictor thingy, and came across an almost brilliant scenario for the penultimate game of the season. We go to the Boo Camp, knowing a win could hand us the title (even after losing at Chelsea, and dropping points at Goodison), but also in a position of sending City down. Too much to hope for?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lads, season over, moping after saturday mostly over, time for our annual awards SPECTACULAR

you all (mostly) know the drill - categories are below, please try and vote in all categories and by all means give reasons. once you've deliberated, cogitated, masticated etc, email your votes to unitedawards2007@gmail.com, making sure your OTF username is present in the email somewhere, preferably in the subject line. voting will be provisionally open until the weekend, but if we can get everyone's votes in sooner then all the better.

United Thread Player of the Year:

Young Player of the Year:

Reserve Player of the Year:

Worst Player of the Year:

Most Improved Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Favourite Player/Cult Hero:

Best Team Performance:

Best Individual Performance:

Worst Team Performance:

Favourite Moment:

Worst Moment:

Biggest Disappointment:

Funniest Moment:

Goal of the Season:

Favourite Game:

Best Decision:

Worst Decision:

Best Chant/Song:

Best Away Fans:

Worst Away Fans:

Best Away Trip:

3 Players to Sign:

3 Players to Go:

Most Looking Forward to Next Year:

United Thread User of the Year:

United Thread Worst User:

United Thread Most Improved User:

Opposition fan we don't really mind contributing that much:

Opposition fan about as welcome as Kieran Richardson in a starting XI:

few clarifications:

* young player is for those aged 21 and under and CAN include those out on loan

* worst player is for the outright worst player, whereas most disappointing player is for the player who has fallen below his usual standards.

* worst moment is for an individual moment in time that was particularly awful (a late goal conceded etc), biggest disappointment is more general.

* best/worst decision can be interpreted as you wish - a managerial decision, a club decision, a refereeing decision etc

* 3 players to sign = the three players you'd most like us to bring in. realism is desirable. 3 players to go is obviously the three you want to see shipped out.

right, that's it. go vote </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

vote you slaaaaaaaags </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you have to vote in every category? really can't be arsed going through all of that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I even couldn't finish reading the list icon_biggrin.gif

Archived