The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Roberto Carlos has claimed Chelsea are keen on securing his services and Calderon has admitted they will bring a replacement for the defender, if he moves on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John O'Shea? icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Anyone know where to find a man utd fixture list that can be imported into outlooks calendar?

no?

oh i thought not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just download the wallpaper off the fishal site. I have the Park one icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Does Tevez not play where Rooney and potentially Rossi plays?

Unless we're going with a 4-1-4-1 and playing 4 support strikers... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in the wc he seemed to be playing as more of a target man-like player. obviously his height disadvantage over proper target men mean he is not a target man. but he showed good strength and determination and ability to hold up the ball. i think a tevez-rooney front line would be awesome tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Tappenden:

I think Carrick will do well for us - we have to ignore the ridiculous fee.

RvN going is a real downer - apparently he has wanted to leave for a whole season, and that might be reflected by his form last season. That said, he still banged in a serious amount of goals, and I'd rather have an unhappy RvN playing than an ecstatic Saha icon_smile.gif

I think he might go for 3 across the middle - Carrick, Scholes and hopefully some sort of terrier/battler midfielder in the ilk of Hargreaves or Gattuso. (I personally would like to see Nolan come to us). I think he'll play Rooney and Giggs/Ronnie off of a sole striker, which will probably be Saha or maybe Smith (as he can hold the ball up well, and lets not forget how well he did for us when he first joined and RvN was injured).

There is a rumour on teamtalk about Tevez - he'd be a good candidate for the lone striker role.

I also hope he kicks out the other not-good-enough players (Fletcher, Miller, O'Shea, Evra, Vidic). That should give us enough money to get someone else in the middle. If we lose Ronnie (help!) then we'll need a winger (Park aint good enough). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, evra and vidic have certainly proved they aren't good enough icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> O'SHEA HAPPY TO FIGHT FOR UNITED PLACE

John O'Shea is not daunted by the prospect of facing extra competition for a place in Manchester United's starting line-up this season.

The Irishman has proved to be a versatile member of the Red Devils squad in recent times, operating in both full-back positions, centre-half and alongside Ryan Giggs in central midfield for the latter part of last season.

However, as a new campaign approaches, the return to fitness of Gabriel Heinze, signing of £18.6million Michael Carrick and the likelihood of at least one more midfielder before the transfer deadline closes on August 31 leaves O'Shea facing up to the possibility of being squeezed out.

Instead of ducking the challenge, the Waterford-born star intends to meet it head on and has every intention of adding to his 201 first team appearances for the Red Devils.

"I am sure the manager is trying to get a few more players in before the deadline," said O'Shea.

"It all adds to the competition but we need that.

"Every season since I have been at Old Trafford there have been players signed in my position, and other players coming in. I look forward to it. It's the type of challenge you have to face at a top club.

"When a new player arrives, you up your game, which is something the manager wants to see and lifts the tempo in the squad, and normally the results are positive." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

The wall looks very ordinary.

[/disappointed] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was where the SU tent was, so that was the symbolic meeting points, then along came the glazers, the tent disapeared and just left the wall. We can leave beer behind the wall, rest flapjack on the wall, and its equidistant between pork/applesauce/stuffing barms(ROLLS angryfire.gif) and the stadium.

The wall is icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

[4] More whinging scouser

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Gerrard:

I HAVE never known hatred like Manchester United's and the poison dripping from their fans never ceases to shock me.

Growing up in Huyton, I was taught to loathe United, their fans, players, manager, kit-man, mascot — everyone associated with Old Trafford.

And during 90 minutes of football I want United to die.

Everton fans have grown to despise me because I score against them so regularly and because I keep saying I love beating Everton.

They loathe me but I think they respect me as a player. At Old Trafford it's different. Everyone there hates me because I'm Liverpool. Visiting Old Trafford is like negotiating an assault course as it rains vitriol.

A winter's day trip there in 2000 was no different.

Liverpool's coach was belted and the United fans were jumping up at the windows, their faces contorted by sheer hatred.

We got the full welcome: V-signs, w***** signs, knife signs. "F*** off, scum!" they'd shout. "We'll f****** kill you!" And they sang: "In your Liverpool slum..."

S***, the United fans really loathe us. Bang! A window splintered and a brick nearly bounced off my head. Here we go again. I ran for the dressing rooms. I almost couldn't hear the first whistle because of the booing. "F*** me." I thought, "This is show time. Get on my game or get f*****."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha **** off gerrard lad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gerrard is a c0ck - get used to it you bad haired, Persil loving freak angryfire.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Ok I feel like a futile night discussion.

If we had to sell 5 first team squad members, who would they be and why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O'Shea - because he's ****

Silvestre - because he's ****

Howard - because he's f(_)cking god-damn ****

Miller - because he's ****

Eagles - because he's ****

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Through financial limitations, executive incompetence or managerial muddled thinking we’ve seemingly managed to royally screw it up.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd swap the 'or' for an 'and', but otherwise completely agree. There's a huge chance to make real progress this season and everyone involved seems to be conspiring to spectacularly blow it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

This "we have midfielders who can do a job up there" rubbish can **** right off as well btw - so we're short on numbers in one area of the pitch, and we're now going to weaken that further by asking some of the few players we do have in that area to do a job elsewhere?

I've had enough of square ****ing pegs in round ****ing holes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

giggsy upfront ftw.

how would you view the signing of tevez nick? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd cautiously welcome it. No idea whether him and Rooney would be able to play together, but I think we'd have fun finding out.

But I was resigned to starting the season with the existing forwards, and was relatively ok with that on the understanding it would be because we were concentrating all efforts on getting the all-important combative midfielder in. If we end up letting Rossi go AND not strengthening the midfield, either because we've gone after another forward instead or just because we've drawn a complete blank, I'm not happy with that at all.

I wait to be pleasantly surprised tomorrow, I just don't see it though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

there is apparently a Kent one actually.. not fully investigated yet. But it'd surely be too late to sort that for next week anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got offered two tickets for Sperz within two days of booking a seat on a bus for Arse.

That was last Tuesday, dude. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that Invicta? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, Bedford.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

With both Chelsea and Liverpool dropping points today what are the odds that we drop points tomorrow? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A near certainty.

Rooney to get 2 tomorrow tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah tomorrow we will have a shocker in the positive way and actually win comfortably.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Slightly interesting point to note (well, I though it was quite interesting) - of the 10 goals we've conceded so far, only 4 have been from 'open play'. The other six have been: one from a corner, one from a penalty and FOUR from free kicks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also note that we've only conceded 2 goals whenever Vidic has played. None from open play. A free-kick and a penalty.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Carrick's shooting really isnt that bad (as some have alluded to).. its just he rarely gets a chance with the way we're set up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is that bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it isn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet you a pint(Not that we will ever meet but still) that Gary Neville scores before Carrick.

There is a reason his scoring record is so awful and thats because he cant shoot to save his life. The times he does get in a good position you will see he usually makes a hash of the shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll hold you to that virtual pint.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

this is only a half-decent move if we instead spend decent money on strengthening in other areas. if this is the sum total of our january business, it'll be an utter joke, although i suppose even the most diehard 'wait and see' type will surely have to realise just what sh*t the glazers have plunged us into. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldnt agree more. If the signing is one that is there to help us up front while allowing us to buy for other positions in January then it is a very good move.

Sadly it could well be our only signing like you say with more "Oh we want Hargreaves but we havent even made a bid" stuff to buy over the people daft enough to swallow that kind of tripe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

The fact that we're through in no way makes the team ir the management immune from criticism, when mistakes are made they have to be pointed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were generally included in "team" icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give him a break.. poor guy thought the change in our performance when we switched from 451 to 442 was just coincidence. Clearly a poor deluded soul.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

how easy would it be for us to be in real trouble with repayments?

in terms of the (under) performance of the team..? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd take relegation to get rid of the *****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs, it would also get rid of the idiotic 'prawn sandwich' brigade fans we have which is a good thing.

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Cech is back too, if he is as good as before, that's massive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah true. Robben hardly out long term either. They need him so bad down the left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's their only width really, SWP doesn't count. Never been convinced by their four MC's tactic, but Robben changes that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Thing is Mark, I've no issue with the tactics at the start of the game. Considering the circumstances it was a sensible approach. I agree though, that doing nothing can be as much of a mistake as doing something wrong...and I'm not trying to absolve SAF from any blame.

Even so, what other options did he have available on the bench to make changes?

I'd also say that at the time the Heinze / Evra / Ronaldo change made sense. Ronnie wasn't really in the game at the time, Evra had been our best attacking option for much of the game (but had started to sit back more). I'm not sure putting Gabby on was such a risk (or mistake) as you seem to be suggesting...bit of hindsight at work?

Out of interest, at 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go and Arsenal dominating more and more, what would you have done? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo is one of those players who whether having a good game or bad game you know has the class to make something out of nothing and so you make sure you shackle him from the word go.

Ronaldo is not only a great outlet for us with runs like the one that took the ball straight from an Arsenal corner and won us one but Eboue was saying back because he didnt want to let Ronaldo in behind. The minute Ronnie went off it allowed Eboue to go forward.

Not to mention i think at 1-1 when you take off your biggest threat and throw on a defender that must have given Arsenal a big lift.

threatened to kill himself ffs icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>in hundreds of pages of singles thread here, noone ever offered such genius advice how to get a girl icon14.gif that thread is genius but I can't believe it's real although judging by general level on intelligence on RI, anything is possible

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

I think I read somewhere that Pique was in the Spain under 21s squad to play England tonight. Is this true? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, he starts, in midfield icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

icon_biggrin.gif

I've lost a lot of respect for Ali now :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

I loved John O'Shea for like 3 years after he'd gone ****. What respect did you have to lose?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our players change positions so much during a match it's actually pretty funny. icon_biggrin.gif

Ronaldo broke from the back a few times and wandered about in the middle, left and right. Giggs picked the ball up from our back four a few times ffs. Rooney moved into the centre too when he wanted. And Smith was pulling out to the wings, dropping deep and linking play. Totally random.

Pretty exciting watching it because you never know what's going to happen next. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

also now Fletcher at right back. Richardson at left back. Heinze and Brown both shifting in recent weeks.

TOTAL FOOTBALL icon_cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

No, I just hate why everyone thinks everyother manager has to always have a hidden message.

Mourinho could come out and say "I love BBB and Nick and am going to give them £1m each" and the reaction on here would be: "Now they can't buy themself the title they are trying to buy themselves some fans as well icon_mad.gif"

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

whats with the exodus (well mika and beatty anyway) from the thread? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We thought we'd got rid of the deadwood, but it appears they all keep coming back, Richard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your continual posting is testament to that

Archived