The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

No, i'll demand that the club reprimand the player for doing it and try and crack down on it and stub it out.

I'm not going to demand that our players all be booted out for doing things that are done all over the world. Thats just ludicrous, we'll end up as a pub team. Make them realise it's not accepted at United sure, but don't boot the players out for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fergie will only do that if it affects him personally. it'd never happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

hi lads, looks like we're about the complete the signing of our second striker to go along with our second midfielder.

sure things will turn out well for you in the end though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gutted we haven't signed Pennant or Kuijt icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*) good luck with defoe and carrick amigo. I'm sure whatever price you pay will be worth it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

He chose someone else? hence your astoundment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont know mate, im not a bummer. still £6.7million, benitez is paying a bit much for a rent boy don't you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£15m-18m? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that'll be for ashley cole </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£25m tbh.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn´t look good for the Hargreaves move icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Man Utd still pursuing Hargreaves

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson still wants to sign Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich - but admits he is making little progress.

The 25-year-old midfielder was omitted from Bayern's squad for the Bundesliga match with Bochum on Sunday.

Ferguson said: "We are trying hard but Bayern are proving very stubborn and resistant, which I can understand.

"We can only do our best. That's what we'll keep doing because we are trying to build a strong squad of players."

Ferguson, whose side began the season in sensational fashion with a 5-1 hammering of Fulham at Old Trafford, has made no secret of his desire to sign Hargreaves.

The England international is known to be keen on completing the switch from the Bundesliga champions but Bayern are publicly refusing to contemplate the transfer.

A statement on their website said: "Bayern has not held negotiations with Manchester United.

"Furthermore, the club does not intend entering transfer negotiations regarding Owen Hargreaves."

The statement added: "Bayern Munich has officially requested Manchester United to cease pursuing its interest in Owen Hargreaves."

Hargreaves starred for England in the 4-0 friendly win over Greece and seems determined to seize on his raised profile in England following his combative and tough-tackling displays during the World Cup.

He was seen as England's player of the tournament and continued his impressive rise in the international ranks in the friendly against Greece in new manager Steve McClaren's first game in charge.

Hargreaves has been at Bayern since moving to the club from Canada as a 16-year-old in 1997. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

We were pretty poor yesterday tbh, especially in comparison to the start we've made - and no, it's not because Spurs are a much better team than the ones we've played so far. In fact we're lucky that's not the case otherwise we'd have been punished. We looked a little off the pace I thought, movement wasn't great up front which is in contrast to earlier games. Hopefully it'll be sorted when Rooney comes back.

In terms of players - I thought Carrick wasn't too bad? The annoying thing about his play was that occasionally he held onto the ball for too long and got caught in possession, but I thought his overall distribution was quite good and he defended quite well too. Wes was immense at the back, Gary did well coming back from a period out. O'Shea _________________________ (you can insert what you want here, I'm having difficulty accepting that he is actually a bit pants...). Ronaldo could have been a bit more productive considering the space he was occasioanlly afforded.

A particular mention to Saha (the player, not the poster) who I thought was fupping awful yesterday. Little movement, looked so off the pace, wasted oppurtunities... Again, I hope that he can slip back into the form of the earlier games quickly.

Liverpool icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Oh and Fletcher deserves no kudos either, he was awful only Cronnie and Kay overshadowed him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

so awesomely wrong. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope i'm not wrong, what did he do? what did any of them do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't give possession away anywhere near as much as scholes. just about all of our good crosses came from him. prompted the majority of our attacking play. set up ronnies chance (the one he thumped into lehmans head) with a beutiful 40 yard cross field pass. retained possession as well as (better?) anyone. worked hard in defence including a few well timed and important challenges. moved into space consistently - including getting into a goalscoring position early only to be denied by a good gallas tackle.

saying there were only two players worse than him is utter, utter b0ll0cks of the highest order.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Dont get me wrong i still dont think he is good enough to be anything other than a squad player for us but i'm much happier with him being a squad player now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the next step in your conversion icon_cool.gif

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Apparently Mart has been warned by a steward as someone complained about him standing all game against Liverpool icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just sent him a text that simply says "sit down" icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

Vida \o/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Do you see where the mistake is in threatening aforementioned qualification by playing a formation that has proven to be sh*te on numerous occasions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember 442 being sh*te until 1999. It's very easy to hide behind tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, we never won anything before then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

clear windup

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Richardson moved United into the lead in first-half injury time with a beautiful curling free-kick from the edge of the area, a moment of class totally out of keeping with the rest of his career. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

be fair, he's look half-decent on at least one other occasion for the reserves.

great news about park and smudge, be mighty useful if they can come into contention over the christmas period.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Am I the only one completely not fussed either way about Huntelaar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no.

i'm more concerned about us "regressing" from the fluid style of play we've developed post-ruud. any new striker has to be more saha than RvN tbh.

a question lads: how big an offer is realistically "too good to turn down" for alan smith right now? ignoring the debt, and looking at it strictly from a footballing PoV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this in response to the rumour that Everton want him to replace Beattie in January? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm "rumour" on RI saying that we want Beattie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just stop reading that utter waste of bandwidth ffs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Apparently we have already lost a game which was due to be played in April," laughed Ferguson

"It's quite good really because we can have a rest on that weekend now. I can put my reserve team out, so we can save our energies for the next game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha icon_biggrin.gif

you can tell he's got the hunger back

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

WSR, you are cordially invited to the wall on Sunday to enjoy some fine (Fosters) beer with us and to engage in some intelligent conversation,

yours

BBB - Co wall founder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The beer's pretty likely to be there, i wouldn't hold out much hope on any other claims.

As I said when I got back from being in the quadrant next to the Stretty after the Copenhagen game, I was really surprised at how dismal the atmosphere was there. You could hear relentless chanting from the Stretty and NOBODY in the quadrant actually bothered to carry it along.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

://///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Scatter: So, if this goes through and Mascherano goes to Liverpool - do you start with the face or go for Fergie's nuts from the off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be a joke if FIFA allow it. basically what they'll be saying is what seems to happen with so many other rules like the pro-licence etc, that what constitutes exceptional circumstances is basically someone saying "we'd like to not abide by this rule on this occasion please". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And we'd be what? Surprised by an outcome where a reputable club and a talented player of a high profile nation get there way around legislation designed to stop the game falling into chaos & reinforce the ability of the global footballing organisation to govern fairly and effectively...well if Blatter wasn't in charge I'd have slightly more faith in FIFA to do the right thing but since he is in charge that has been shot to hell.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbie:

6/1 for united to win the league by 6 points lads - thinking of throwing 50 quid on it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that by at least 6 points, or 6 points exactly?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can someone tell me the reasons (injuries/bizarre Fergieness) for all our subs yesterday.. there was minimal sound where I was watching it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Injuries, Vidic had an icepack on his knee, so O'Shea came on to play at RB with Wes moving to the centre. Carrick for Saha was tactical, while I think Evra had a knock aswell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

ISSSSSSSS NOOOOOOOWHHHHEEEEEERRRRREEE NEEEEEAAAAR ASSSSSS GOOOOOOOD ASSSS RUUUUUD AND NEEEEEEEEVVEER WILLLLLLLLLL BEEEEE, UUUULL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SOO WWHHHAAAAATTTTTTT WWWEEEEEE AAAAAARRRREEEEE STTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIILLLLL EENNNNNTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTLLEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD TOOOOOO GGGGEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT BEHIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNDDDDDDDD OOOOOOUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRR PPPPPPPLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSS YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU SSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAANCCCCCCCCCCCTTTIIIIIIIIMOOOOOOOOONNNIOOUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSS CCLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

btw, fergie was absolutely RAGING at sky for their grilling of ronaldo icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another boycott on the cards then /o\

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

I don't really see it as a 451 not in the sense that most English clubs use it. It's generally more of a 4231 that the Spanish clubs particularly Barcelona use a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really isn't (although it would be lovely if it was). The third midfielder would have to be playing off the front man or properly wide, and that hasn't happened all season. The three have pretty much always been the three at Wembley, and they play as a true three, with Scholes as deep as Carrick and Fletcher with licence to get forward, but a starting position level with the other two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely it was more like it against Roma? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We didn't play a midfield 3 against Roma. Fletch was in for Scholes who was suspended.

The supposedly 4-4-2 we played that night you could call a 4-2-3-1, but we were talking about when we have a midfield 3.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I think rather too many of us made secret pacts with the footballing gods with regard to saturday and tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm not religious but to those that are, fair play, good use of your pacts (not sure how many of them you get, probably depends on your religion).

talking of religions, there is a certain 41st birthday event tomorrow that i think we would all find quite religious.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived