The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

God this is dire. I genuinely think we're not going to sign anyone :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we re-signed rossi. \o/ icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Scholes can see again...?

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richie J:

am i the only person who thinks that Carrick would be a fantastic signing?

fair enough £14m is an inflated price but when you factor in his nationality and Spurs' own ambitions, we're paying a little more to convince them to sell rather than him actually being worth that much. i think he's quality, although owen hargreaves would be an equally good purchase. get them both.

£34m for carrick and torres means ruud can leave, get him off to bayern in exchange for hargreaves and £5m, welcome back season.

please? icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would love that, but Ruud is Madrid-bound.

We can't really afford the top midfielders tbh. I'd love to see xavi at OT, but it's not gonna happen. would also love to see pirlo/gatusso at OT, not gonna happen either.

Think I'd be happy with carrick, always been a fan of his, calm and comfortable on the ball, which is essential if he's going to be playing at DMC. still young too which is good.

what's the story with vieira now? is it a done deal with inter? I'd love to see us go back in for him if possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I thought the 10.3m was confirmed to be accepted

If not then I'll take a deep breath and see if everything works out fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The club haven't confirmed it at all, as far as I can tell. Those reports are coming from Spain - meanwhile Fergie is on record as saying "Real have increased their bid but not by much... two bob or something. It still doesn't meet our valuation" so I'd take from that that it's not confirmed at all.

• 3 weeks later...

What Taz said really...the way we played in the 1st two games is the way I hoped (rather than I expected I guess) we'd play when I was saying there'd be an upside to selling RvN.

Problem being that we start to look awful short on genuine options if Saha busts a toenail.

Rossi, Smith, OGS, Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo can all do a job alongside Rooney in either a 2 or 1/3 upfront to some degree, but they'd not provide enough IMO to cover a long term injury to Saha and the RvN filled gap that's not been replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I mean, leading up to the game and a bit after I could understand but now it's ridiculous, I mean it's getting to the stage where we're "obsessed" with singing about them, the murderers/two times stuff yeah but for christs sake the Gerrard stuff, it's ridiculous, it's all you ever seem to hear at away games too.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Yeah Chelsea are gonna SPANK Newcastle tonight.

Oh and new manager syndrome even more confirmed with Curbishley now already in charge. We're not winning on Sunday /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too bloody right. He's due against us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

So it seems that Citeh put up a banner near OT before derby day, only trouble is some reds seemed to find it....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

isn't that the Council House in the background? presumably not that close to OT if it is...

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

He is ginger tbf, not many people would want to talk to him normally regardless of skill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fo icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Born on Friday the 13th to icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best just look for a rope now and get it out of the way icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

So many twists and turns yet to come - its football ffs icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speculating is what makes it fun though. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye it is, but fans going through the highs and lows now will see them reversed in a few weeks probably.

Never seen so many negative posts from NickOGS20 as I have today, but no doubt in a few weeks he will be happy as larry - thats the beauty of football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i usually err on the pessimistic side anyway tbf. part of today is drunkenness but i'm a big believer in seizing opportunities when they present themselves and not doing so today will ultimately f**k us over this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Piqué of his powers

Friday, 26 January 2007

by Paul Saffer

Gerard Piqué has an impeccable football pedigree. The grandson of famed FC Barcelona vice-president Amador Bernabéu - no relation of Real Madrid CF's Santiago - the defender was developed by the Camp Nou side before being signed by Manchester United FC aged just 16 in 2004. Within four months he had made his first-team debut, and he has been a regular for Europe's strongest nation at youth level, Spain.

Ferguson's rage

His rise continued apace in 2006. Two years after helping Spain win the UEFA European Under-17 Championship final, he went one better for the U19s in Poland last July, setting up Alberto Bueno's winner in the final against Scotland. However, the identity of Spain’s opposition did not endear Piqué to patriotic United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, a man the youngster has described as like a second father. "He rang me after the final and said he was angry because we had beaten Scotland," Piqué told uefa.com. "I told him it was my job and he was just going to have to be happy and proud because someone from his club had won. I think in the end he was happy!"

"I hope next season I'll go back to Manchester and get a place"

Zaragoza loan

Piqué, who turns 20 next Friday, made his first Premiership start in March, and this summer was sent on loan to Real Zaragoza for 2005/06, though he remains under contract at Old Trafford until 2009. It has become normal for Sir Alex to send his young prospects out to another club to sharpen them before using them regularly. "I talked to Sir Alex and agreed it was the best decision for me and for the club, I can get first-team experience," said Piqué, who scored on his Primera División debut in September. "It's going well. I'm playing games and scoring goals, even though I am a defender. But I hope next season I'll go back to Manchester and get a place. I talked to the boss and he said he wanted to come to the stadium to see us play. I will try to show him that everything is going fine and I'm playing well."

'New life'

That he has already picked up English parlance like "the boss" shows how quickly he was able to settle when he first moved to Manchester. "When you first go you don't have your family or friends, you have to start a new life," Piqué remembers. "You meet new people and after six to seven months you are happy again." But then he did have an example to look to - his friend Cesc Fabregas left Barcelona for Arsenal FC not long before Piqué’s own English switch and they remain close. "Every week we try to talk. But we don't always talk about football, we talk about our lives. We've played together since we were six or seven, after that he went to Arsenal I went to United, but we are still in touch."

Spanish success

The victory in the U19 finals was especially sweet for Piqué and many of his team-mates, due to the disappointment at U17 level two years earlier when a Spain side including Fabregas lost the final to a late goal from hosts France. "A lot of the players were in France, so we were extra motivated to win in Poland," Piqué said. "We didn't want to repeat that experience. We tried to react and we succeeded." However, Spain's stellar record at youth level - it was their third U19 title in five years - meant they knew expectations back home were high. "It can be hard," Piqué admits. "All the country thinks you are going to win the tournament before it starts. This is very difficult to handle. Also, we are the favourites and all the teams respect you. You have to use that respect to change it into fear, make them scared of you."

"I remember when we got to the airport a lot of people were waiting for us and that was a great experience"Gerard Piqué

Youth tournaments

Certainly, he has enjoyed his experience with UEFA's youth finals. "These tournaments are nice as you develop," he said. "It is hard as you are young, 17 or 19, but once it has happened you are better as a player." Next on the agenda is adding to his two caps at U21 level, then in the summer gaining another triumph at his generation's farewell to youth football at the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada, to repeat the celebrations he experienced last July. I remember when we got to the airport a lot of people were waiting for us and that was a great experience. You feel you have a country behind you and following you," Piqué said. "I hope to repeat that after the World Cup in Canada." And doubtless many more times in his career.

©uefa.com 1998-2007. All rights reserved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's hope yet Taz icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Yeah, it's not to do with believing it at all though is it? It's just to do with encouraging the biggest bite icon14.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbf it's so utterly ******** that it's not even worth bothering with icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

Cheers ACou, cheers for reminding me, the subs.

I actually thought both made sense:

- We were losing the ball all over the pitch and taking off Richardson and, lets say Park, based on the performances they gave wasn't going to stop Readings momentum.

- Saha had been kicked to bits and given his lack of match time looked like he was running on empty, so Rooney on made sense. By the 75th minute Ole's legs couldn't match his desire anymore and my only gripe is that Fergie waited 10mins too long to make the change. Richardson was terrible but as far as keeping up with Reading players bombing forward he at least had legs to do so, and with us holding on it can be argued that it was less of a handicap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived