The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

Anyone coming FC vs AFC Wimbledon this Saturday? £7 in, think Mart said he might be, should be good craic with the Wombles and a top atmosphere icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I can scrounge the money, I may well do icon14.gif

in this thread from now on can we resolve to NOT over-react to/take as gospel media stories until they are at least confirmed by either us or the buying/selling club involved. the last five pages of ruud reaction is cringe-worthy with a capital C ffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

anyway, i've decided fergie is clearly going for a repeat of 95/96 - star name(s) shipped out, youngsters blooded, glory beckons etc. maybe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

while i know you're only half serious, i am wondering why everyone has suddenly written off "the production line". every article over the past couple of weeks bemoaning our transfer activity has also gone out of its way to point out that along with no one being bought, there are no real prospects coming through. this is quite obviously not the case and it is possible - albeit unlikely - that fergie is taking a 95 risk all over again.

i'm officially calling shenanigans on this thread btw. two months of abject negativity and pessimism is enough ffs.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Look, it's really really simple. You're own team comes first ahead of any hatred for anyone else. If you start looking for other teams results or outcomes before your own, you're no better than a bitter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone's suggesting anything else, are they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just said in a choice of two scenario's, one where we're relegated and one where we're not, you don't know which one you'd pick icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I?

(NB: Yeah, I know I did, and now I feel a fool. A DAMN FOOL)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Was only three in '58, so much too young to remember Edwards unfortunately.

Law out because Nobby's in, I'm afraid. '66 World Cup Winners have precedence over ex-Citeh players, tbh. icon_wink.gif

NSwfffbbbb. !!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, I might let you off then.

Me Grandad always said Tommy Taylor was better than Dennis anyway. Mind you, he rated Stu Pearson :/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wentand I'm sure Nick, Mart etc went. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not the best game really was it? still... good result to keep the league games going before the big game against salford and the vase game on saturday.

ohhhhhh fc united, hic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was alright, should have had about 4 in first 30 minutes. Thought Patterson was a bit off the pace for some reason , but I have only been to a couple this season and FC's right back has impressed me immensely seems to bomb up and down every opportunity and usually produces a decent cross. Should be a good game on Tuesday (although won't be going).

Well Henry and Ronnie were or had just started playing for their countries I believe so couldn't have been that bad. Every player develops at a different rate, it is the peak that can be most important.

To imply he will be better than Henry or Ronaldinho is a big thing, as good as... maybe. He can be the worlds best winger, no doubt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

James07 you went to Celtic didn't you? I heard from someone yesterday in the pub that everyone were sneaking in. Someone would put there ticket in like the Blackburn ticket, take it out when it goes green and then loads of people run forward. Another trick I heard was people would get passed a ticket back from the person in front then go to the ticket office and say it wasn't working and they would scan it so it would work again. You see any of this? Were there loads more United fans for the seats? I also heard the police just closed the turnstiles after they realised so many United were in the stand.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

hey guys I need to know where I can get a 60s United shirt from like this with a number 7 on if possible, and shorts too. Anyone know any websites? I don't want to spend much, or are there any places in Manchester? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a shop in Affleck's Palace in town that sells old football shirts. Not sure how far back they go though.

Was 2 years ago last time I went in there so it's a long shot icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn, I was there yesterday, if only I'd have known icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

TBH, neither fills me with confidence. Kuszczak strikes me as spectaculer but wobbly, and Foster, although good, reminds me a lot of Carroll icon_frown.gif. We'll need somebody bigger and more imposing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can see where you're coming from with Kus, I don't think he'll make it as a number 1 either.

Completely disagree on Foster though, don't really see the Carroll comparison. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just the small(ish) stocky frame, the steadyness, decent shot stopper, but not exceptional. Good back up keeper, or decent Neil Sullivan/ Chris Kirkland/ David James (maybe not) type for a mid table club.

We want to be looking at the Buffon's and Schmikes of this world. Somebody world cllass and imposing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben Foster is 6'2 and has been a man mountain this season for Watford. He looks big and imposing and has rightly been praised for his performances this season. Watch any Watford game look at the number of times he keeps them in a game.

You say we should be looking at the Buffons and Schmeichels of this world but we picked up Schmic from Brondby and i bet none of us had a clue who he was. Schmeichel became the worlds best with us, why cant Ben Foster?

Just give the lad a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ole praise for Saha

Manchester United's comeback kid Ole Gunnar Solskjaer does not believe he would have been able to return to his best without Louis Saha.

The Norwegian hit-man virtually missed three years of action for The Red Devils due to a succession of long-term injuries.

However, the 33-year-old striker is now back to his best this term and believes French colleague Saha had a big role to play in his 'miracle' recovery.

"I could not have come through everything without the aid of Louis," Solskjaer told the News of the World.

"He is my idol and I have to think him for helping with the miracle that is me playing again.

"I wasn't sure if I'd get back to the player I was but I looked up to Louis and how he recovered from his own injuries.

"I think he will finish above everyone as top scorer in the Premiership this season. He is a magnificent athlete." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

god this weekend is HUGE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dreading it, we're clearly going to lose. Would snatch your hands off for a draw now.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

I see the vermin have signed Mascherano on 18 month loan deal

With option to buy

We should have done that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cries*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

saha back tomorrow icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah just sitting around the bench. Coming on in the 88th minute and then get injured for 5months so that we cannot sell him in the summer.

Basically what Terry said. They maybe were lucky to even get in the competition to start with, but last night they proved they're one of the best sides in Europe.

That defensive display from Nesta et al. was awesome - didn't let Rooney, Giggs or Ronaldo get into the game. And Gattuso icon_eek.gif What a player. Still a horrible little cuunt though.

My mum of all people has been calling our dog (Scholesy) Kaka this morning icon_mad.gif Die woman!

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

I still think we should look at David Nugent as well tbh :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guy sitting next to me at the Roma game was very keen for us to sign him when I was talking to him about potential signings at HT. I've only seen one or two Preston games so haven't formulated enough of an opinion on him to say whether or not he has got the potential to play for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's obviously SO difficult to judge how anyone would make the step up from Championship to Premiership level, but I lived with a Preston fan for a while and saw quite a bit of him, and he's really, really class. Strong enough to hold the ball up and get his head on things, but quick too and good with the ball at his feet. Decent finisher to boot. His link up play could be better, but he's still young as well, and who knows what he'd pick up playing and training with the likes of Scholes and Ole? A mooted price for Everton was around about £5 million, and I just think it's worth a punt on a guy who clearly has raw talent to be harnassed, and also would fully accept being part of a rotation policy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like you said, it's difficult to gauge these things, but from what you've seen has he got the potential to become a player whose standard as a striker striker and, I suppose more importantly given what we need in the squad, a goalscorer who can get goals now and will be better than Smithy in the future?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

haha I'd do a few sex wees if that was true icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But its all very like the Anderson\Nani rumours. Two players that seemingly played in the same position and the concensus was that we'd get one or the other. Obv we got both, but I'm wondering if its the same with this, as neither rumour will go away.

(NOTW saying we've offered for Huntelaar, and Telegraph saying we've approached for Tevez&gticon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could well be wrong but i dont ever recall us being linked with Anderson. It was a move that came out of the blue.

We are in the market for a striker but i would guess that is dependant on the funds raised from player sales. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anderson was on our rumours list so we'd been linked in some fashion. certainly wasn't a strong link though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh there was certainly a few rumours in the tabloids, NOTW, People, Guardian IIRC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i have, got an interview with a bank this evening icon_cool.gif

probably gonna jack this other job in tbh, i'm getting plenty of interviews and stuff now so it's not worth wasting my or their time going through the rest of the training really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who had two weeks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had 25 minutes. Did anyone really see him lasting this long? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've amazed myself really

Archived