The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Well it is very much the point. Ruud's not looked good this tournament for a reason not of his own making, he's been made a scapegoat, his replacement has suffered from the same problems which stifled Ruud. Hardly Ruud's fault that van Basten is too inexperienced to see this.

And let's be fair, these two coaches he's been dubiously ditched by are a past-it legend with serious question marks over his head and a recent track record of poor decisions, and a former superstar player still very raw in managerial terms and again with big question marks over several decisions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While you could argue that both those descriptions are correct, that was Van Basten's first competitive defeat as Holland manager. But more than that, don't you think it would be a pretty big coincidence for two otherwise completely unconnected managers just decided to make the same player a scapegoat for no reason whatsoever? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's a coincidence in as much as after what happened with us last season, he was a very easy scapegoat then for van Basten if he didn't perform, which he was never going to in that system.

Anyway, agree with what everyone else has said about his comments today, he sounds like he wants out, I can't blame him and I think it's probably ultimately for the best for both parties.

Can see us missing out on Torres though, which presents a big problem.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

3rd, Carling Cup QF's, CL 2nd round, FA Cup QF's and Fergie out etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah i reckon we'll be champions league finalists this year, maybe winners. and 2nd or 3rd for prem. if we are going to do well in champs league this is the year to do it becuse of italy scandal etc. itd be a great way for fergie to sign off aswell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

fao razor eddie and james m

Stretty Tier 2 you're sat together

£30 each </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now if only I could sort the bloody travel icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I don't care what Nick thinks, Vieira going to Inter is comfortably the best news of the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you, even if you don't apparently care icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man Utd announce huge season ticket sales

Manchester United have defied their critics by record massive season-ticket sales for the coming campaign.

With the Sunday evening deadline for sales fast approaching, the Red Devils claim the existing number of tickets sold, including those in executive areas at Old Trafford, has now reached 64,000.

When the normal allocation reserved for away supporters is included, it would take the club to within touching distance of the 67,500 capacity of previous campaigns. Capacity now stands at 76,000 with the opening of new quadrants.

The impressive sales figure, way in excess of any other Premiership club's ground capacity, has come in the face of continued opposition among more militant groups of United fans to the ownership of Malcolm Glazer.

Chants against Glazer have been heard at most United pre-season games since they returned from last month's tour of South Africa, although the feeling inside Old Trafford is that the worst is now over and the club can start to move forward with increasing confidence under their new owners.

'This is fantastic news,' said a club spokesman.

'We have almost sold as many tickets for every game before the start of the season than we had as an entire capacity last year.

'It is a record figure, not just for us but for English football as a whole and something we are very proud of.

'It shows that United fans are continuing to support the team at Old Trafford in huge numbers.'

Supporters who want season tickets but fail to meet Sunday's deadline will be placed on the waiting list created by the club when they confirmed they were launching a special one-year season ticket earlier in the summer.

However, it seems doubtful such hefty support will translates into a healthy gate for Saturday's friendly with Sevilla.

Having tried, and failed, to attract Barcelona and Real Madrid for the game, which officially opens the new quadrants, and with Italian football in chaos following the match-fixing scandal, United were forced to plump for last season's UEFA Cup winners as their `big-name' opposition.

But it appears the United support have been unimpressed by the choice of opponent and, like most clubs, Old Trafford's capacity is not likely to be tested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

alright so supposing every word of the ticket but is true, and there isn't one piece of spin work on it - where exactly does that put "the protest"? taking an extremely simple view of things (like ignoring the debt for a moment), fan groups can hardly say "he'll push prices up and scare away all the fans" if the club is turning over record numbers of season tickets and selling out almost every week... can they?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a fecking horrible dream last night, some fecker had got snakes in my house, started off with a small one and then they got bigger and bigger, ended up staying in the hotel at the Lancashire Cricket Club, don't know how it ended because I woke up thank feck

you say short on strikers as if he has more of a chance of getting regular games there. which clearly isnt true because he would have played week in week out for WBA

but tbf the difference in positions of the clubs may have had a say

Im just trying to convince myself we're buying someone icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

alright nice one mate. you've calmed me somewhat. icon14.gif

though if I now dont get in and miss the only goal of the game I will kill you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will be in T3 icon_biggrin.gif Bring oxygen icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Decisions Decisions

Do i take friday night of work so i can get up nice and early to get into manchester with adequate time to go and get my new shoes, go to FC and then veg out the rest of the day with BBB

Or do i work friday and turn up lunchtime ish and do the same minus the FC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

ohhh did I miss some sarcasm their? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terrible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, probably what it will feel like at 4 tommorow when you're sat at home playing with yourself and listening to 105.4 because you couldn't get a ticket :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why exactly would I be playing with myself whilst listening to the radio?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf, if it's Jo Whiley she does have a very very sexy voice.

I doubt she'd be doing the football though.

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny how people forget about Rooney consistently putting in match-winning performances for the last few seasons. Obviously we can't use the past to base players on but surely Rooney has earned a bit of leeway?

Both are superb players. We're lucky to have them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Richardson earns U21 call

Kieran Richardson has been called up to the England Under-21 squad for part-time boss Stuart Pearce's first game in charge.

Manchester City manager Pearce assumes temporary control for the friendly match against Spain at Derby’s Pride Park stadium on Tuesday 6 February.

The match is part of the squad's preparations for the U21 European Championships this summer.

Richardson played in United’s recent 4-0 win over Watford and remains an important squad member at Old Trafford despite making only 11 appearances for the Reds this term.

The 22-year-old midfielder has dipped in and out of the full international squad since scoring twice on his England debut against USA in summer 2005.

England U21 squad: Alnwick (Spurs), Carson (Charlton), Hart (Tranmere - loan); Baines (Wigan), Cahill (Villa), Davies (West Brom), Hoyte (Arsenal), Rosenior (Fulham), Taylor (Boro), Taylor (Newcastle); Bentley (Blackburn), Cattermole (Middlesbrough), Huddlestone (Spurs), Milner (Newcastle), Reo-Coker (West Ham), Richardson (United), Routledge (Fulham - loan); Agbonlahor (Villa), Derbyshire (Blackburn), Lita (Reading), Nugent (Preston), Walcott (Arsenal), Young (Villa). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

if and i stress IF the dreaded happens and ronaldo leaves, im assuming everyone wants lennon as the replacement?

id be gutted if he left, but in fergie i trust. i dont think there is any way he will allow real or barca to come in for him. only thing that troubles me is if a massive bid (£35million plus) was put in, would the glazers turn it down or lick their lips?

• 2 months later...

anyway, tl;dr;fo time:

VDS - didn't have much to do at all really, thinking about it. no chance with the goals, couple of comfy saves from speculative efforts. looked to be a bit more vocal and to take more responsibility behind that defence i thought as well.

JOS - had a good game really, pretty much had Seedorf under control and got forward well. loved the slow motion stepover as well :*)

Paddy - not his finest hour. bit unlucky to get booked perhaps, but had a kamikaze moment for Kaka's second and looked rusty with his passing - him and Ronnie didn't really click as they have in the past. impressed with how he kept going though considering how touch and go he was to play.

Wes - pretty good really. dominant in the air, generally dealt well with Kaka when one on one with him. partnership with GBH looked sound for the most part.

Gaby - motm contender definitely, easily his most convincing performance at centre-back for us. need to see the goals again to judge whether he was at fault but my instincts were there was little he could do for the first and he basically got taken out by Paddy for the second. made some excellent tackles second half, none better than one on Kaka which brought to mind that famous tackle by Bobby Moore on Pele in the 1970 World Cup - backed off as Kaka ran at him and tried to get him to commit, kept his eye on the ball and then decisively won it, leaving Kaka sprawling in a heap as he then brought it out of defence. ARGENTINA icon_cool.gif

Fletch - just gonna c&p what i put on the RN forum actually - "I've always defended him, fought his corner, made a point of saying how he steps up in important games and yet again he's done so. didn't think he was poor first half like someone said earlier in the thread, he worked hard defensively, didn't give the Milan midfield any time on the ball and (one wayward one into the stands early on aside) his passing was crisp and intelligent. when the game was there to be taken by the scruff of the neck second half, he did so - his workrate was phenomenal and his passing top quality. really unlucky to be denied a goal by a top save from Dida as well. pick of a largely excellent bunch tonight, surely must have convinced everyone over these past few games that he more than deserves to be a part of this squad."

Carrick - impressive again, rarely wasted a pass and his composure is fantastic. maybe a slight question mark over him for the first Milan goal, thought he didn't track Kaka but i'd have to see it again.

Scholesy - had a quiet first half, wasted possession a few times as the midfield became congested and struggled to really get into the game. infinitely better second half, got into much better positions in the final third and that pass for Rooney's first was truly special. please please please please don't get booked next week icon_frown.gif

Giggsy - not quite as bad as saturday, to damn him with faint praise. took too long on the ball far too often, was very slow to react to passes into him and this obsession with backheels and flicks where a simple pass will do is infuriating. better distribution though at least, and went a long way to redeeming himself with the run and assist for the winner.

Ronnie - did seem to be a bit too keen to do everything himself at times, especially early on (settled down a bit as the game went on) - few too many runs down blind alleys or taking on one defender too many etc. still some outstanding moments of individual skill and some excellent runs, and worked as hard as i've ever seen him second half. fancy him to come into his own in milan, just don't get booked ffs icon_frown.gif

Wazza - brilliant. only criticism would be a lack of strength on the ball at times when he needed to hold it up, but with the negative out of the way, what about the positives - his workrate, constant running in both a defensive and attacking context, the positions he took up, he caused Nesta/Maldini/Bonera all sorts of problems. two brilliant finishes as well - the more i see the second one, the better it gets (yes Dida's positioning isn't perfect but he's fairly understandably caught off guard by a brilliant early strike). coming of age in europe now it seems.

think Fergie got the team right at the start - know this perhaps wasn't the popular view, but Smithy's played a lot of football lately after very little for over a year, he was clearly knackered on saturday and with there being a need to protect a makeshift defence, it made sense to bench him i think. in hindsight it's worked out well too, Everton seems like very much an Alan Smith type of game and he should be nice and fresh - and he's the sort of player who can drag that bit more out of his teammates with his hunger and enthusiasm.

have seen suggestions that we dropped too deep after taking the lead and let Milan dominate proceedings, mainly from neutrals but also from Taz - didn't see it like that at all. we created more chances than them in the first half, and iirc both their goals came on the counter (the second certainly did). they certainly had several prolonged periods of possession in midfield but didn't do a whole lot with it really. very easy to say we only got on top second half because Maldini and Gattuso went off but i think that's unfair on us, we increased the tempo and took hold of the game and i don't think their missing personnel influenced that a whole lot.

Milan definitely tired noticeably late on though which is promising - after Rooney's winner i was a bit annoyed everyone was baying for the ref to blow the whistle tbh, the momentum was all ours, they'd not had a sniff in a long time and i'd have been more than happy to see him play loads more added time as there was only one team who was going to get any more goals. maybe i'm a bit greedy.

Kaka - what a player. absolute delight to watch - everything seems so ridiculously easy for him. the way he just glides past players with seemingly minimal effort is awesome, and such a composed finisher. has that natural ability to always be able to find space and always looks to have all the time in the world when on the ball - telltale signs of a player of the highest quality. basically the ideal Scholesy replacement, make it so uncle malc

thought the atmosphere was pretty ace tonight - rocking at the start, perhaps took a dip after Kaka made his mark but cranked back up for the second half and immense as we searched for the winner. need to nip this 'who are yer' b*llocks in the bud pronto though, leave that to Arsenal and Birmingham please. also had this racist twat behind me who thought nothing of calling Dida a monkey and making monkey noises at him, as well as calling Seedorf 'that black ****'. will fling an email the club's way about that methinks, took no notice of a couple of us calling him up on it. was sat with a bunch of his mates who were all whingeing old bastards who spent more time shouting 'SIIIIIIDAAAAAAAAAAHN' than actually supporting the team, quite brilliant justice that they left before the goal really.

please god can i win the lotto tomorrow so i can go to milan. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

nick being roasted on a spit as we speak

worthy death nick, did us proud </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

better not be dead he owes me icon_frown.gif

Still dont get the Giggs hate yesterday, I thought he was decent enough watching live, then watching the highlights it confirmed to me he was fine...

Set pieces continue to be well delivered, didn't do his constantly-give-possession-away trick, also played some brilliant passes/through balls which we should have got a goal or 2 from.

wp gregg you legend

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hero of the Day:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

theis - 92

alilaw - 89

Nezell - 87

14AlanSmithifb 85

Hero of the day - 83

vanester 82

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

ajw2255 - 70

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

davidbowie 63

Ryno - 62

ACou2000 - 60

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

mark g 52

keyser - 50

player_65 - 46

SLO_Fila 43

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

Razor Eddie 16

? - 15

Saha - 39 </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Literally no idea how as an attacker you could play against Lescott. You'd look up every so often and just get stunned with fright, allowing him to take the ball off you.

deffo purchase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only people who could get past him would be the likes of Defoe, Baros and Saha, who never look up.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I still haven't got my ST CD thing. :/

Do you actually need it to renew? or can I just ring up the ticket office? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mine came today yet we renewed week before last

Archived