The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

Is anyone else failing to access page 449 of the previous thread? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking for the roundup ffs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes (I think). Nick suggested that the last page be used for all previous round-ups...

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Cristiano Ronaldo insist it will be 'fine' if he stays at Manchester United after The Red Devils declared they had no intention of selling the Portugal international.

The winger has been tipped to leave Old Trafford during the summer and has hinted at a move to Real Madrid.

His antics surrounding United team-mate Wayne Rooney's World Cup dismissal have led to suggestions that Ronaldo will be forced out of the Premiership giants.

Sir Alex Ferguson is looking to keep the 21-year-old and the club released a statement on Wednesday morning to affirm their current stance.

With United determined not to sell Ronaldo, the former Sporting Lisbon youngster admits he would be happy to stay at Old Trafford.

However, the Real target also concedes he has other options to consider as he enjoys a holiday in his homeland following Portugal's fourth-place finish at the World Cup.

"There are possibilities for me to continue at Manchester United, but there are other possibilities as well," Ronaldo is quoted in the Portuguese media.

"Everything is open. If I have to leave Manchester United I don't want to leave on bad terms because it is a club that has contributed to my evolution as a human being and as a professional.

"It is an issue that has to be discussed in the next few days. For the time being I want to distance myself from football. The most important thing is to rest and go back to Madeira.

"I have no reason to leave the club, they have always supported me, they always gave me guarantees of being able to evolve as a player.

"There is still nothing concrete. During this week I believe the issue will be resolved.

"If it's a question of staying there it will be fine, if I leave it will also be fine.

"It is still a question that has to be decided, I have four days to resolve it."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Foster finds favour with Fergie

Sir Alex Ferguson is convinced Ben Foster has all the attributes required to become England's number one goalkeeper.

Although he signed for Manchester United from Stoke 12 months ago, Foster was making his first Red Devils appearance when he turned out against Orlando Pirates in the first match of a three-game South Africa tour.

"All the material is there," said Ferguson. "He had a couple of tests but he coped with them very well. His handling is very good and he is a fantastic kicker of the ball. He can get the ball from a defensive position to behind your opponents' last line of defence very easily."

He added: "He is quick across his area and has a great physique. All he needs now is experience."

Ferguson still feels the 23-year-old needs greater experience, hence his decision to let the burly goalkeeper return to Watford on loan for a second season.

Having seen Foster become such an integral part of the Hornets' promotion to the Premiership last term, earning a call-up to England's World Cup standby list in the process, the United boss is eager to see how the Leamington Spa-born youngster adapts to life in the top flight.

And, judging by Ferguson's assessment of Foster's qualities, another impressive campaign at Watford could be the key to him eventually taking over from Edwin van der Sar as United's first choice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wakeyrocket:

So Saha won't score? Because im sure it was his goals that were keeping RVN out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He might not, who knows what being suspended for the World Cup Final and then seeing his team miss out on Pens has done to his fragile confidence. icon_biggrin.gif

*clutching at straws*

All i'm saying is a team like Man U would expect to have some BIG names ready to come in to replace Ruud icon_smile.gif

Overall it wasn't a good game. Nobody really stood out for me in the second half at all. Eagles made some good runs when he came on, but apart from that nothing really happened.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Aye, it's that and then probably a winger. I don't think the striking positions look that much of a problem even without Ruud. Smith/Saha/Solskjaer/Rossi/Rooney is still, for me, one of the best forward lines in the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, because Bellamy/Crouch/Fowler is just amazing icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I'd say the gist isn't far off but there's some pretty ludicrous exaggeration in there, to the point that it looks an awful lot like a glleful opportunity to attack Fergie seized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats pretty much my feelings on the article. It seems like a bitter attack on Fergie more than anything.

Many of the comments are unfair or exaggeated, claiming that we're mainly relying on players like Richardson and Fletcher is way off the mark for example.

Yes we've lost direction, yes a lot of it is down to Fergie but that attack is very unjustified. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the article is pretty much spot on and more and more people are coming to realise this by the day. One or two things are exaggerated but they arent wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

For £5 mill I wouldn't mind him but there is no way he would come to us & sit on the bench. Whenever I have seen him I always thought he was a good striker, nothing special but a decent player.

His goalscoring record in Italy is way better than I thought it was though. I don't want him signing for us though. Seems to much like Saha for my liking & if I signs I thinks it's either/or than both of them playing together. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's nothing like Saha. He's an inferior Ruud, you couldn't really find a striker more like RvN in terms of style. Comes alive inside the penalty area but his contribution outside the box is utterly negligible and he's always struck me as even moodier than Ruud, much more likely to go missing/not be arsed, much less likely to identify with the fans and look to lead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant that he had pace & was good in the air. Ruud just stood there & waited for the ball to come to him, whilst I thought Trezeguet was the kind to run into the box looking for the header.

But yeah I don't want him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Trez just stands there too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alibaster:

First game at OT - somewhen this season hopefully.

I hate living so far away.......to hard to get to games.....icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really isn't. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its hard if you dont make an effort.

its not as hard as getting decent tickets for decent matches though when youre not a season ticket holder /o\/o\/o\

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'd like to give my congratulations to Nick for becoming Manchester United researcher, I'm sure he'll do better than that other joker icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pires could have done better than that other joker tbf.

Congrats Nick. Make Silvestre shyte, eh? icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

any of you clowns doing fulham away or is the boycott still on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

me, mart and jonny afaik. there was never a boycott of the actual game (simply/sadly wouldn't work with our support), but there's a boycott of anything else Fulham try to flog to us (programmes, pies, beer etc). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to be fair you're still gonna be heavily out of pocket eating/drinking away from the ground, this is West London icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we'll presumably buy beer up here and drink enough on the coach that we can make do without until we get back on afterwards. same with food really.

could do with having another party the night before really so i can bring a load of leftover party food again á la newcastle icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

hahaha mika, I had that in Leicester Coffee Republic icon_biggrin.gif

Me: "Large black coffee"

White woman (behind me) : "You can't say black coffee"

rasta behind her: "he didn't ask for a n!gger coffee and a slavery cookie, I think he's ok"

cue laughter after a fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN on our treble chances. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MANCHESTER UNITED - Premiership chances.

It's in their own hands. United have to drop points, and Chelsea have to capitalise if they are to throw away the title. It's happened before, but the smart money is on United this year.

They do have the tougher run in, with the likes of Blackburn, Bolton, Portsmouth and Everton to come; but crucially (and it may come down to this) they have Man City and West Ham in their final two matches.

Points on the board beats games in hand and United are in an incredible position, especially with Chelsea still to play. Cristiano Ronaldo is the Premiership's most in-form player at the moment, while Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand have kept the defence together. United have strength in depth, although an injury to Wayne Rooney would dismantle their season, as they weren't able to persuade Henrik Larsson to stay and have little cover up front.

Keep piling on the points and the title is a formality. Even the potential decider against Chelsea could be rendered meaningless if the Blues drop points. Ronaldo may beat Drogba to 'Player of the Year' as well, just to rub it in.

VERDICT: It's theirs to throw away, which they won't do - finishing 1st.

FA Cup

The best placed team in the competition, having been held to a draw at Middlesbrough, they now have home advantage and a potential tie against a side almost certain of relegation, Watford, to look forward to.

Sir Alex Ferguson has an excellent record in the competition, having won it five times in his time at the club. Criticised in the past for showing the competition a lack of respect, United will certainly be favourites if they overcome Middlesbrough - a side that have a good recent record at Old Trafford.

A potential final against Chelsea makes the first FA Cup final at the new Wembley an exciting prospect, and this is surely Ferguson's best chance of a trophy.

VERDICT: Going all the way to do 'the Double' - beating Chelsea in the final.

Champions League

Again, there is an argument that United are the best placed team in the competition with AS Roma to overcome in the quarter-finals.

A favourable draw against Lille in the previous round has given United the confidence they need to succeed, and Roma should not provide too much of an obstacle, despite a morale boosting win over Lyon.

Veteran European campaigners in the form of Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs still form the backbone of the squad, while Ronaldo and Rooney provide the youthful exhuberance. They will meet one of Europe's top clubs in the semi-finals, and having lost home and away against Milan in 2004/05, may have a tough task to get to the final in Athens.

Should they get that far though, a final against Liverpool or Chelsea would be great for the Premiership and United would have the added impetus of a treble to chase. The Scousers may have something to say about that, but as with the other competitions, United are well placed to succeed.

Although there is a long way to go yet, it could all hinge on the final few games of the season, and if both teams play to the best of their abilities, that could mean Man Utd against Chelsea in all three competitions. Winner takes all.

VERDICT: Look good, but fixture congestion will see them ousted in the semis.

TREBLE CHANCES: The Premiership is there to be taken, as is the FA Cup. The Champions League will be the biggest test, but a repeat of 1999 is on the cards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Gotta love people suggesting who we buy when we have a nice fat debt icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the question was who would your ideal signings be, I named them. The question was who should we sign. In the ideal world, I'd somehow gain £1Bn in the next month and buy United and sign those 3 players.

I think United will end up with one trophy - the premiership - and I'll be really happy with that, though I'd rather not the Scousers win the CL.

Even if the latter was true, United would still have had a better season that Liverpool, as we know they'd swap a CL for the league title any day.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">VDS needs to die because he is too old? He has been fb this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

been far from fb but has been decent. he was fine tonight, although cech probs would've saved one or two of the goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

two Cechs wouldn't have got near any of them. utterly baffled why VDS is getting flak here, he did all we could ask of him tonight. not his fault the defence were clownshoes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

People spot you in match threads.

Don't take it personal. Gregg Carter is MUCH worse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah I see. Not taking it personal by the way, it's an internet forum at the end of the day.

Just found it amusing that someone actually has an opinion of me.

Archived