The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So erm yeah, it appears that I was a bit of a **** yesterday and monged out a bit too much and for that I apologise. I especially offer apologies to daaaaave and scatter and everyone who read my post. I was still angry and it was slightly out of character for me.

It won't happen again, I promise.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Jim, you know we won't think any less of you if you don't correct every single spelling mistake you make? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do. Honestly, he's *this* close to losing all my respect and admiration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must do better, must do better, must do better...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Mika ffs icon_biggrin.gif

Fergie hate de rigeur now. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was angry icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The initial fee is believed to be around £13m, with the remainder of the money likely to be based upon the club's success, Carrick's international appearances and the time he remains at Old Trafford.

icon14.gif

from BBC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See I have no problem with us paying that at all really.

RvN + Mikel - Carrick = 10m. I'm fairly sure incentive/appearance-based payments are always budgeted for yearly, so they're not really considered outgoings this summer.

So that's £10m of profit from transfers this summer to spend, without even going cap in hand to the brothers grimm for some funds. Bearing in mind also that another midfielder coming in would surely mean at least one more player leaving (JOS, So Fine, maybe even Fletcher, all would get a few million).

As for Vieira, I would rather have Senna. I agree with whoever said that Vieira's fitness worries wouldn't be as much of a concern if he adapted his game to become more of an outright holding midfielder, but then for me you lose everything that made him the player he was anyway. Senna is and always has been a holding midfielder, would be cheaper I suspect and would definitely be on lower wages. And of course there's the added bonus of him not being an utter ****.

I'm with Giggsy on this one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Did you have a drink with Ben? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah he had a family conference thing, I did go to some mental 80's bar with rubiks cubes hanging off the ceiling, before having a row with a cabbie.

will Vidic be available? He wasn't mentioned in those three above and Fergie said Rio'll only miss a week. Actually how long until the first game? I've no idea.

Smith as well could play. if so

Taz's team with those two interchanged with McShane & Ole/Rossi is probably what we'll get.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

how does that apply to me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well you'd be travelling from Stockport on the train surely. If there is a bus replacement for Virgin Train passengers there will be one for the local trains aswell, otherwise they would tell me to use the local train.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then again, Richardson has an inordinate proportion of crapness for a suqad player </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

krifbyc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jpshakehead.sml.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Van Lampard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">don't care? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive had enough of you BBB why dont you just shutup? You're in denial mate you said Hargreaves would come and he didnt get over it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

miaow.

I dont care about other clubs signings, so don't post them in here ta

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Well we have to vote for somebody. Wes made mistakes as did everyone else. There just weren't many stand-out performers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but regardless of that, there weren't many other glaring errors that led to Spurs getting chances that were basically sitters. If Silvestre had the game Wes did yesterday, nobody but Mika would have had a good word to say about him. But even having said that, i could take your point about considering him one of the best two of a bad lot, but there were even some 'Brown was immense' style comments.

Personally, i agree that there weren't any stand outs, so i'd perm two from three of Neville, Evra and VDS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the problem with this type of exercise is that it's very hard to be 100% objective. I think we all have favourite players who we look out for. As you said, Silvestre would never have got as many votes as Wes. Even when I put him second, I was thinking that Wes didn't particularly play better than Rio. They were both OKish. I was also aware that Wes had made several mistakes, but I balanced that against several good tackles and blocks which he also made.

The other thing is that Rio at his best is a better defender, and he cost more, so I expect more from him. Unless he has an immaculately majestic game (which he's well capable of) I would never vote him as MoM.

Gaz had a solid game, did nothing wrong, but he wasn't tested that much either, especially being up against Mido who is patently not a winger. Same for Edwin - totally reliable, but it's very, very difficult for a keeper to win MoM without making many brilliant saves and Spurs didn't have many shots on target. Brown had to do a lot more because of his position and the way Spurs played, most of which he did competently.

It's not logical, it's not even fair, but that's how I made my decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see the logic in all that. I just felt that the fact it was two awful pieces of marking that both should rather than could have resulted in goals were just far too big a cross in the debit column to be outweighed by the good things he did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slightly Damp Shrew:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

ffs Beckham is ffffffffb. Would love him at Arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? We'd get the odd brilliant through ball and free kick goal if Thierry let him take them, but he'd be one-touch crossing it every time, and we can't and simply refuse to score any kind of goal from a cross.

If he'd be content with staying on the training ground and showing Eboue how to cross then absolutely. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

apart from having someone who can take corners, free kicks etc, then merchandise. But mainly due to how good he is.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by artest:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

[snip] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you apply online or by phone ? The online thing has not been working for me for 3 years ffs. And by phone's giving me problems as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Online. Its hit and miss but about 70% of the time the site lets me log in no problem.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Cardiff Dave Jones on Alan Smith

Friday, November 17, 2006

"I thought I had a good opportunity to get him here — but Alan felt he wouldn’t do himself justice. He didn’t feel he was ready to play week-in, week-out, and we have to stand by that decision." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 1 month later...

I care about the domestic cups if we get to the semis/final, before that they're merely exercise for the squad players/a chance to blood the young players.

Once we're at the business end though I do like to win, any trophy is better than none.

Oddly I probably like the Carling Cup more than the FA Cup because we do get to see the young players and all the games are night games icon_cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Fergie's built 4 teams (hopefully) already 92, 96, 99, 07, so the next team would be a 5th one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's more 94, 99 and 07 that are the three teams. 96 and 99 were virtually the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, i think there's enough difference between 96 and 99 that they both deserve listing. the 96 team was the foundation on which the 99 team was built, but there were enough changes in terms of personnel and experience for it to be classed as a different team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe but I think 96 was just halfway between 94 and 99, i.e players from 94 who were at the end of their careers (Bruce, Cantona etc) or players from the 99 side at the beginning of their careers (Scholes, Beckham etc), was there anyone in the 96 side who was in neither the 94 nor 99 sides? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

between the 96 and 99 first XI's, there's only really two changes. Stam for Bruce and Yorke for Cantona. You can argue the other centre back a bit, and the replacements were a bit more varied, but it's basically the same team but with grown ups instead of kids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can definitely argue the other centre-back - Pallister/May in 96, Johnsen/Berg/Brown in 99. otherwise agreed though ofc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just read the Alan Hansen on the BBC. He says its easier to win the treble if you have the league wrapped up early like we did in 99. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I do not think either of them will win all three trophies they still fighting for. The treble has been done before and it will happen again, but it is possibly easier to achieve when the league is wrapped up early, like it was for Man Utd in 1999.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6559389.stm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

last i saw Scholesy and Carrick were pretty much level-pegging percentage-wise </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm right in assuming Scholes tries more ambitious passes though no?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Because he needs a lot of tender love and care, something that he's not likely to get at United. Sure he hasn't been disruptive for a while, but he still has the potential to be.

We've had problems the last few years, in part down to disruptive and dissenting influences in the dressing room. To bring in somebody with that kind of reputation has a huge amount of potential to put us right back to square one, something that, for all the guys talents as a player, and for the quality he'd offer us as an attacking outlet, i'd not be prepared to risk? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what's to say the recent lack of any disruptive tendencies isn't because he's simply matured?

i don't care about reputations necessarily, i care about the here and now. he's caused no problems at Bolton, nor Fenerbahce. he's still clearly got quality - he's better than Saha as far as i'm concerned. i'm sure Fergie would thoroughly do his research (he's big mates with Fat Sam, Houllier etc so he wouldn't struggle for opinions) and if there were concerns he'd rightly stay away.

why we should dismiss someone just because they were a bit of a moody twat when a lot younger is beyond me? not like we haven't had/got players who've needed an arm putting round them before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Meanwhile, Porto believe they will be entitled to sign a United player as part of the deal, with Gerard Pique and Giuseppe Rossi, two youngsters who have spent this season on loan to Real Zaragoza and Parma respectively, among the possible candidates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robson could have a fight on his hands for our Keiran.

Archived