The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

Rio's quality but £30m is way too much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, because defensively we didn't fall apart without him when he was banned /o\

rio ifffffffffffb.

juve paid nearly as much for one of the worlds best keepers, i don't see that being much different. rio was worth every penny (even if we could have got him much cheaper a year later).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadnt seen much of Hargreaves at all for Bayern and his cameos for England, a lot of the time in the wrong position didnt show much either but he was fantastic in the World Cup playing DM and he looked miles better than Carragher at right back too.

Having seen what he can do i would love him at Old Trafford but the real Question is how ****ing stupid is Sven? Carragher, King, Carrick, Beckham, Gerrard and so on all played defensive midfield with little success and Hargreaves is fantastic there. Why did it take him 4 years to figure that out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r_wagner:

This whole ***** business with us making no signings does make you wonder. If all it takes for a successful football club (or any sport for that matter) to be destroyed is a lunatic millionare to borrow hundreds of millions of pounds so he/she can then land that debt on the club itself then any club is open to this. I do get the feeling that there won't be any signings this year because we simply cannot afford it.

We have gone from the richest and best run football club in the world to a club with astronomical debts in the matter of a couple of years. And the ironic thing is that it's not as if we've spent without regard on players, the debt just sort of 'magically' appeared.

I worry that the ageing and depleted squad we have will not be able to maintain the form necessary to keep the expected revenue coming in and that the club will suffer as a consequence ala Leeds. So... Nationwide One here we come in a couple of years.

I do hope I am wrong about all this, and that this bl**dy press conference will begin soon to announce our 15 new signings icon_biggrin.gif but that's not very realistic. Realistically, ManU's premiership years are soon to be over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what? what!? FECKING WHAT!!!??

it's like a joe_cole, rand, andypolack and taz all rolled into one...

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Can you take your lovers tift elsewhere.

Anyway hope the Javier rumour is true! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how are you going to be able to afford mascherano and carrick tbh?

• 2 weeks later...

*Shakes head* Bling...

Quick hypothetical though...(not even sure that this would be possible)

A last-day Citeh win against Liverpool is needed to win the league and stop the Scousers from achieving the same thing. Somehow this victory also seals our relegation from the Prem whereas a Liverpool draw or victory doesn't.

Do you still refuse to root for the Scousers?

• 2 weeks later...

right then.

a) Taz you are still wrong on Fletcher. I dont care if more people have come to your point of view in recent months.. they're equally wrong.

The fact is DF has had a tiny proportion of his time with us, playing in a settled, flowing team in his best position. Large chunks on the right. Large chunks as a 3rd man quite literally given no role other than to be "the guy in between Keane and Scholes". And when you break it down he's had quite a number of good games when these factors aren't hindering him. A few great games as well I might add.

The reason people see him as awful is because he's not the most adaptable. He's not a winger and never will be. He also, when playing in the middle, needs to be given proper instructions. Told what his role is. And more often than not he will then do it well.

As for Park. Mr 07? is wrong. He DOES make things happen.. he runs at players.. he can get past people. And he's tenacious in the tackle. He wins a far higher percentage of challenges than you may expect given his size and he frequently chases lost causes which enables the team to have a way out. In many ways you could give him the same criticism that some give Ronaldo.. poor "end product" but Ronnie is proving people wrong. So will Park as he develops with us and fits in further with the rest of the side as he gets more games.

Quite frankly you should all be utterly ashamed for discussing the faults of Park when O'Shea is STILL in the side. I dont care if we've done it to death. There can never be enough "wtf O'Shea in midfield" remarks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

will never understand why the mancs don't like england </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's more ambivalence than dislike, unless you're Matt icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ta icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

No chance in having Martin fella, Bardsley maybe but no chance with Martin, he's fb$ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that but with Giggs starting the season well we can but hope.

He can join us in 2 years when Gattuso comes home... icon_wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

My ballot result status for Liverpool: Unsuccessful

SHOCKER icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't Bother lad you'll lose anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Apparently Mart has been warned by a steward as someone complained about him standing all game against Liverpool icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just sent him a text that simply says "sit down" icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Didn't you say you're seeing Petrucci too? Jealous :*(

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

perhaps it would be best for Thread users not to brag about the number of tickets they have acquired for different games, if the means that they were acquired and the further distribution of said tickets are somewhat questionable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might be a good idea. I wasn't braggin though, i was just sayin that i managed to get tickets after the abuse i got last night. If i ever have any spare, i'll gladly offer them to people on OTF.

Don't think i got off to the best start with people in this thread icon_wink.gif Maybe we can all just start again and hopefully become best of friends!

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Radio saying Evra has been good, O'Shea steady and Richardson and Fletcher both awful.

They didnt mention Silvestre but it sounds to me like hes had a fair few lapses in concentration so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O'Shea's looked very very average to me. 'Steady' might be pushing it. Fletcher the epitome of inconsistency, some really good work coupled with some very sloppy touches and passes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

That completely ignores the fact that while in theory anything can happen, and on occasion the better team loses, in general a team that a) gets their tactics right and b) plays better than the opposition does win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hallelujah!

So who won tonight?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dunno if this has already been posted but

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"If he wins I shall congratulate him because I am a good sport. But when we talk about the best player of 2006/07 I sincerely believe that I am a good option.

"My objective is to score more goals to help United and not to enter into a war with Drogba. That would be madness - I always search for success for the team.

"And I warn you that I do desire to win many, many competitions. I repeat: 2007 is going to be my big year.

"First I want to win titles with United and after that personal gratitude from Europe and the world." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cr icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

as ridiculous as it is, i genuinely wouldnt be surprised if they make us replay this.

i can see us getting the brunt of the blame for everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If UEFA do that, given that there is clearly no major grievance for our club or the referee to answer, then Platini's presidency will have lost any credibility it has through the mishandling of such a minor issue.

In other words: tell Lille to shut the **** up, stop being whiney little bitches and get over it.

If they replay this game, when the issue has been seen before a number of times domestically and at times on the continent then they are setting a dangerous precedent whereby any team can contest the legitimacy of a referee’s decision after a match and force a replay. For goodness sake its like they’ve not got another potentially 120+ minutes to turn the tie around.

I really hope that they see sense. There is no way they can alter the result or require it to be replayed and remain viable and without opening themselves up to massive legal challenges from our side, which given the amounts of money at stake they will pursue, regardless of the moral standpoint. If they want to spend time on something then they can focus on the questionable choice of Lens’ stadium, policing practices and fan safety in French stadiums, which on the evidence of Tuesday night, should be investigated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mate (also a United fan) went to see the battle of the Joneses with a Derby season ticket holder yesters, bought a "Jones 7" shirt himself. Eejit.

Just a couple of idle thoughts/questions re: the match; firstly - Ronnie's freekick. Is it me or did he hit it in the more traditional way, curling the ball with the inside of his boot? While it's feasible he mishit it, if it WAS intentional and he can get the kind of power and accuracy with efforts like that and still alternate to his more usual 'hit across the ball and watch it go batshit' method, he's gonna be a real danger.

Secondly, with Johnny presumably going into RB for Roma, is there a silver lining to the ominous thundercloud of Vida's injury, since Fergie can't play his usual 4-5-1? As far as I can see the only way he can would be dropping Giggs into midfield, and I can't see him playing Wazza or a half-fit Smudger (in for Park with Rooney moving to the wing) alone up front.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing game last night. Amazing atmosphere. Was 'sat' in the stretford end, but didn't sit down for the whole game. Signing constantly, was fb. Badly cut my shin after the first goal though, went a bit mental and grazed it on the seat in front icon_biggrin.gif

As for the game itself, disappointed to concede, but I think we showed by the way we played second half that we are always capable of causing them problems, and I didn't really see enough from Milan to suggest that we'll struggle over there. Thought Fletched was immense, again. Thought giggs had an off day, again.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Despite a title, Glazers can't win

By John Haydon

The Washington Times May 12, 2007

It has been two years since Malcolm Glazer's controversial takeover of Manchester United for $1.47 billion. After a two-year hiatus, Manchester United, for the 16th time in the club's history, is English Premier League champion. However, feelings over Glazer and his three sons -- Bryan, Avram and Joel -- who run the jewel of English soccer -- still are very mixed.

Manchester United chief executive David Gill told BBC radio that the Glazers, who also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, have had a positive impact on the club.

"Their ownership has brought stability and we are benefiting from that," Gill said.

When the Glazers took over the team in May 2005 there were violent demonstrations. Fans tore up their season tickets and others walked away from the club to form their own club called FC United. The rationale behind the outrage was that Glazer wasn't a real fan and would saddle the club with a massive debt.

"All the doomsayers who said we would be in trouble have been proved wrong," Gill said.

But despite Manchester United's success and Glazer's willingness to spend money on new players, the hatred runs deep. The Independent Manchester United Supporters Association on its Web site -- www.imusa.org -- ranks this year's triumph only second to the 1995-96 season when Manchester United came from 12 points behind to win the league. Still, the Glazers get no thanks and are only mocked.

"There has been no change in our attitude to the Glazers just because we have won a title," IMUSA spokesman Colin Hendrie said in an e-mail to The Washington Times. "The team and Sir Alex [Ferguson] won the title in spite of the Glazers and we nearly didn't win the title because of them. They sold so many players and failed to provide any investment for the team."

The current title is Manchester United's ninth Premier League championship under Ferguson, and its first in four years.

The Glazers weren't afraid to spend money to return Manchester United back to the top of the Premier League. Three important players joined Manchester United in the last two years, including midfielder Michael Carrick, who cost the team $32 million by himself. The team's venue was expanded and the club sealed a record $110 million shirt deal with AIG. Manchester United also still has a chance of claiming the FA Cup when it plays former EPL champion Chelsea at the new Wembley Stadium on May 19.

Still last week, a car thought to have belonged to the Glazers was attacked by an angry mob outside a Manchester hotel the Glazers had stayed in the previous night.

Hendrie doesn't believe that anti-Americanism had anything to do with the opposition to the Glazers.

"Manchester is proud of its political history and its reputation for having a spirit of rebellion," Hendrie said. "We even have a statue of Abraham Lincoln given to us by the people of the U.S. because Lancashire cotton workers voted to continue their financial suffering rather than end their part in the Union's fight against slavery in your civil war."

Since Glazer's purchase of Manchester United, several other English clubs have been acquired by Americans, including Liverpool FC -- England's most successful club -- by George Gillett Jr., who owns the Montreal Canadiens, and Tom Hicks, who owns the Texas Rangers. Randy Lerner, who owns the Cleveland Browns, purchased Aston Villa.

Interestingly though, when Gillett and Hicks took over Liverpool, there was hardly a murmur of dissent from the club's passionate fans.

"Our current chairman is often accused of never having fully exploited the Liverpool brand so there's an acceptance that a bit of Yankee 'get up and go' is needed here," said Steven Kelly, editor of the Liverpool fanzine Through the Wind and Rain. "Also, you go through 17 years without a league title, despite some appreciated cup success and people are liable to turn a blind eye to anything."

Liverpool will challenge for the biggest club trophy in the world -- the Champions League Cup -- against AC Milan on May 23.

"In general Liverpool fans are more practical and pragmatic [than Manchester United fans]," Kelly said. "We've simply realized that the way things were held us back from beating Manchester United and more so, Chelsea."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Did I answer 'buying that Fulham ticket when Mart offered it'? Genuinely think I put something about Ronaldo, but it should be the latter tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, that was me. Were you there ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Craven Cottage? Yes. Were you? You've been described as a psychotic looking man with an awful lot of hair, I'm sure I'd remember you... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would explain it, then. I was at OT, you were at teh Cottage. icon_biggrin.gif

Psycotic ? As if, ffs. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh OK, not psychotic. Definately not. Normal and well adjusted, I'd say.

Please don't hurt me icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived