The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Liam Miller was the new Keane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And we still own him so now might be the time Fergie decides to unleash him properly on the Premiership.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

How is my head buried in the sand Nick? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you think we're two midfielders away from challenging Chelsea, your head in danger of popping out on the other side of the world.

It's a bit arrogant to think that your 'calm, rational' view is the correct one and those who appear to care a bit more are automatically in the wrong, don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

alilaw icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded (or fifthed depending on how many other people also feel bad for you man below Franny's post)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

strolled to a 3-0 win, hit the woodwork 3 times? surely those ratings are a LITTLE low? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so - Charlton were pretty poor, wouldn't be suprised if they were bottom 5 this season. Solid performance by you but nothing more. IMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

What has Ronaldo done wrong end product wise this season?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gave him a 7 - indicating I thought he did well, and hardly 'got on his back' over his end product - I just said he still needs to improve it - like other aspects of his game - understandable at his age. I can think of quite a few example's from last night where he gave away possession in good areas/chose the wrong ball - now no-one is going to be perfect, but that is why he 'only' got a 7, and I said he 'still needs to improve his end product' - yu may disagree, and that's only based on the Charlton game, didn't see you against Fulham.

Oh, and I hope we don't have to put up with the booing Ronaldo 'thing' all season, its getting rather annoying (and unjust).

And your in my accumulator against Watford, so you best win.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

and how the hell does Lampard get ahead of Fabregas with 7% less accuracy just because of TWO extras passes made icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

List looks like its done by amount of passes rather than accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 3. Ryan Giggs - top midfielder - 102 points

5. Louis Saha - 4th best striker - 97 points

8. Wes Brown - 2nd best defender - 83 points

19. John O'Shea - 6th best defender - 72 points

25. Edwin van der Sar - 2nd best goalkeeper - 68 points

27. Rio Ferdinand - 11th best defender - 68 points

30. Mikael Silvestre - 12th best defender - 66 points

40. Cristiano Ronaldo - 10th best midfielder - 61 points

48. Wayne Rooney - 14th best striker - 58 points. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So there you go, O'Shea > Ronaldo according to Actim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are they judging him by a defensive criteria? He's played several in midfield.

He's fb ofc.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

On to matters football. Heard nothing about the ballot for the Liverpool game yet. ACou, did you ring up or did you get an email through? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ballot results on automated system

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Bends:

We are unbelievably good at the moment. Long may it continue

Rooney is fb

Fletcher is fb

Everyone except O'Shea is fffffffffffffffffffffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what, we're just not counting Kieran Richardson anymore?

Or the abomination that is David Jones?

On another note, I think Carrick's improving every game. Looked tidy today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both reserves now \o/ thank ****.

Yes Carrick is getting better and better. I said when he came in that he'd take longer to settle because his game is so reliant on him knowing how his teammates think and them knowing what range of passes he uses. Hopefully he's just get better and give us the creativity we need to break down those teams that play 451 andd never leave their own box at OT.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

What the frigging hell did you think the wall was? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some imposing 10 foot edifice of bricks and mortar. Maybe the remains of some disused warehouse.

As opposed to a glorified kerb, obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The morning after the night before, and Manchester United were still coming to terms yesterday with an evening when Sir Alex Ferguson was the one Glaswegian at Parkhead whose blood had not been converted to red wine. Ferguson talked about his players "throwing away" the tie and his face hardened when a radio reporter asked him whether he was angry with his players. "I'm not angry with anyone," he replied with his most withering stare. "Maybe with you for asking such stupid questions."

Ferguson, suffice to say, did not enjoy coming off second-best to Gordon Strachan, particularly when he considered the potential repercussions of losing to Celtic. The visit of Benfica on December 6 should not inspire too much trepidation given that United have not lost a Champions League group game at Old Trafford since October 2001 but, after winning their opening three Group F matches, Ferguson is entitled to be aggrieved that qualification has gone down to the wire.

Part of that anger might be directed towards himself, bearing in mind his mistake in resting half his first-choice team when United played FC Copenhagen earlier this month, another match they lost 1-0. The events in Glasgow might have been largely irrelevant for United had Ferguson fielded a full-strength team in Denmark and they had taken the point that was needed to qualify.

Otherwise his main irritation seemed to derive from his players' inability to be more penetrative in attack. In that respect Louis Saha found himself grazing in the scapegoats' paddock yesterday. The Frenchman was apologetic, but the damage to his confidence will not be repaired by the revelations that Gary Neville had correctly guessed he would fail with his 89th-minute penalty. Neville appeared to question Saha's nerve, telling the Celtic captain, Neil Lennon, "His head has gone," an astonishing remark for a player of his status to make and one that will do little to ease his team-mate's anguish going into Sunday's game with Chelsea.

The striker needed consoling by his team-mates and spoke about "living in a nightmare", describing it as one of the most harrowing experiences of his career. "I cannot believe what has happened. I just want to wake up from it. It was a difficult night for everyone but I have to admit I am really sorry for my performance. I need to survive from that. I've said sorry to everyone but a thousand sorrys won't change anything."

In mitigation, it was the first occasion this season when Saha has failed to live up to the demands of replacing Ruud van Nistelrooy. Ferguson has placed a lot of confidence in the France international and will be dismayed by Neville's remarks, which have not been denied. Saha had failed to score when clean through five minutes earlier, wrongly believing he might have been offside, and Neville seemed to cast doubt on whether the striker had the strength of character to cope.

A throwaway remark it may have been but it carries significance considering the battles ahead, starting this weekend. Saha has had a tremendous season but, rightly or wrongly, the comments attributed to Neville will raise questions about whether he is capable of flourishing when the pressure is at its most extreme. There are similarities to the situation recalled by Roy Keane of a player shaking with nerves as the Champions League music blared out before the second leg of the 2002 semi-final against Bayer Leverkusen.

It is unfair, however, for too much blame to be apportioned to one player. United have now lost three successive cup matches 1-0 and, though the damage may be superficial, it is intriguing when compared with their imperious league form.

"We have only ourselves to blame," Ryan Giggs reflected. "Celtic hardly got our of their own half in the first half but when you are on top you have to take your opportunities and we did not do that. Now we have to play Benfica again and it won't be easy."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last year wasn't quite so surprising as we weren't playing well, we were away with out terrible European away record and I think we all knew deep down that we were doomed.

This year would be much more painful as we are actually playing well and won our first three games.

Mon my rare optimism being justified.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its 8 goals in 17 league games this season for Ronaldo isnt it?

And the lad is just utter brilliance, i think everyone has got to the stage where they are doing nothing but praise him every game. Even MOTD said he was unplayable and they were just behind the Sun with the kill Ronaldo stuff this summer.

Then we talk about end product and i think its agreed he has it in spades now. The chance he set up for Giggs was just brilliant.

But the one question remains with Ronnie, has he won Keyser over yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

Chaps, where's this "wall" you all mention? I have a sneaky suspicion I was standing at it on Saturday night? Is it along the road running from the Trafford pub to the ground? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For your sake i hope it wasnt.

You can only stand at the wall with express prior permission from BBB and if he hasnt given you the nod and you had the temerity to stand at the wall anyway then i'm sorry but you go to hell. You go to hell and you die.

haha, they are pish banners.

any deadline day news lads? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yeh Riquelme was spotted at the Cliff icon_rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

On the fast track to becoming one of the greatest of all time

By Gary Lineker, Sunday Telegraph

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've always said old big ears was a hero :*)

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

wtf is BBB ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> was watching at a pub he said, then hoped for a party down at OT, which there now will be one assumes.

\o/\o/\o/

CHAMPIONS!

it feels good to finally say it out loud, been so afraid of jinxing it

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

yeah and they'll know that, and as such they'll know how much profit they'll make next season, and if it's not enough then it's better to sell now before we start losing again. The price they get for the club will take into account that revenue will increase by £10/20m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i understand that. The point is that the TV deal was higher than most people predicted. So if that money is above projections, how far out must their calculations have been if they're still so far behind that they want to bow out?

At Fenerbahce he was talking about where he was going to move to after less than 6 months, the same as he has everywhere he's been. The guy is trouble in terms of team spirit, and overrated in terms of ability. He's a good centre forward, but he's never in the ~10 years since Arsenal reached the peaks he did there, and that's driven his reputation.

And after all that, i can't believe that anyone who has pointed out our team spirit this season, and that includes you Nick, can contemplate such an overrated centre forward when they've disrupted and complained in at least 9 out of every 10 dressing rooms they've been in during their whole career. I'd rather stick with Saha knowing he'd only play half a season than get Anelka, and i'm amazed anyone else who's watched our progress since we got rid of the last rotten egg from the dressing room could think otherwise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by titchuk:

Haven't seen this already posted, sorry if it has.

Just seen that the Premier League might have to investigate if we do sign Anderson as it may be the same type of transfer as Tevez. Just hope we don't do the same type of thing as West Ham and end up getting points deducted or whatever.

But if Anderson had a buy-out clause, thats probably the 3rd party buy-out clause? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure we wouldn't be that stupid, there's no way we would sign a player who we didn't own, esp not after the WHU farce, though maybe it would explain why we could afford him.

woah, it wasn't a dig, was just sure.

come join us in tier 2 dude icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah he usually has the digs when we are at the wall. Where you cannot defend yourself icon_frown.gif

Archived