The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Thinking the other day that United have never had any German or Italian players play for the first team.

Carlo Sartori (60's) doesn't count as an Italian and unless I missed it Markus Neumayer never played in the first team

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Cicinho's beyond awful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His defensive qualities yeh, but we have put up with G.Nev constantly out of position anyway so his attacking play would be beneficial. Im just lying to myself, he is sh*t.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the Glazers for reducing the club to this, it reeks of desperation, waiting list my arse, I've had several emails offering me a ST when I've already got one.

I hope they all suffocate to death from a faulty gas boiler or something icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I just love Ronaldo's reaction when Ruud misses the first penalty - he turns around and walks toward the Arsenal players and at some point realises 'oh ****, there's quite a lot of them' and takes a step or so back icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

firstly "not being a fan of Carrick" is bizarre, because he's a very good player

secondly saying he doesnt have the talent or potential is nonsense.. and as for the fee we all KNOW how much we get pushed up every time, but the important thing was that we strengthened the desperate midfield situation, and we have.

Yes we "could" have got him a few years back for far less but at the time he was much more raw and for me didn't look the player that he's now developing into. Put it this way, back then when he was available I'm not sure he could have handled coming into our side.. what we're buying now is a fairly well proven first team player.

ffs I suspect we "could" have got Van Nistelrooy about 5 years earlier for much less than 19m.. doesn't mean it wasnt a good buy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

new economic realities, Acou.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

As I said I think that was not related to any physical problem. More motivational I guess. He showed his old drive and determination during the World Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's both. Most players who are not the same physically can still push themselves to their old levels on occasion, it just happens less and less often. Even in the World Cup Vieira wasn't great until the knockout stages.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Can we borrow a left-back please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not until we've signed another couple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, you are a bit thin in that area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we'll be all right, to be fair. We're going to convert Alan Smith to play there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ALEX FERGUSON has branded Old Trafford’s weekend fans as ‘sleepy’.

The attack is sure to enrage Manchester United supporters who spend big money to fill the 76,000 capacity stadium.

But Ferguson believes they do not make enough noise at home on Saturdays and Sundays.

And he wants his own supporters to take a leaf out of the Celtic fans’ book.

They generated a sizzling atmosphere on Wednesday night when the clubs met in the Champions League.

United boss Fergie said: “I think back to some of the great Wednesday nights — electric.

"We need that more often. We have to get that atmosphere throughout the season.

“Some weekends they come here and wait to be entranced, to see magic.

"But we need their spirit to ignite the team at times. It should not always be the other way round. A fan can stir his team.â€

Make your ****ing mind up ffs, you say in your book that it wasn't down to the fans when we beat Forest in 1990 now you say we can stir the team.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Bends:

We are unbelievably good at the moment. Long may it continue

Rooney is fb

Fletcher is fb

Everyone except O'Shea is fffffffffffffffffffffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just hope Saha will one day learn to score 1 on 1's with the keeper icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Reds commission legends' statue

Manchester United has unveiled plans to recognise its legendary forward line which contained three European Footballers of the Year: George Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton. The Club has commissioned world famous sculptor Philip Jackson to create a statue featuring the three United legends.

The bronze statue, which will be life-size-and-a-half and will take around 18 months to complete, will allow fans and visitors to Old Trafford to pay tribute to the achievements of one of the great eras in the Club’s history. Philip Jackson was the artist who created the statue of Sir Matt Busby situated at the East Stand of Old Trafford.

The statue is the result of discussions which were accelerated by the untimely death of George Best in November 2005 and forms part of wider plans to allow the Club to recognise the many extraordinary contributions of great figures in its past.

Announcing the plans, Chief Executive David Gill said: "The Club has been looking at how to commemorate its great figures for some time. Too often, we feel we have to wait until our heroes have passed away to recognise their talent. So we are very excited that this statue - by one of the world’s most renowned sculptors - will honour the efforts not only of George Best, whose death came tragically early in his life, but also two of the game's finest forwards - Denis Law and Bobby Charlton.

"Manchester United is proud of its heritage and we believe that this statue will be evidence of that. The fact that it will be on Sir Matt Busby Way could not be more appropriate."

Philip Jackson said: "I was delighted to be commissioned to create a statue capable of commemorating the Club’s achievements in one of its most glorious eras. Having three European Footballers of the Year in the same forward line is a cause for celebration and represents the most iconic image of that time."

Image </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex Ferguson has delegated responsibility for choosing who takes Manchester United's penalties to both Louis Saha and Cristiano Ronaldo.

French international Saha - who scored the opening goal in the 1-1 draw with Chelsea on Sunday - was reported to have been taken off spot kick duty following his late miss in the UEFA Champions League defeat to Celtic.

Red Devils captain Gary Neville had told his Bhoys counterpart Neil Lennon that Saha would miss the penalty as his head had gone, according to the Celtic man, before the striker saw his effort palmed clear by Artur Boruc.

As a result Ferguson had reportedly placed his trust in Ronaldo to take responsibility from 12 yards, with the winger proving to have nerves of steel when dispatching the penalty that knocked England out of the World Cup finals over the summer.

However, following the draw with Chelsea at Old Trafford, the Scot insisted that the pair will decide between themselves in future.

"I have left it between Louis and Cristiano to decide," said Ferguson.

"Sometimes if one is playing better than the other it is sensible for the one who is playing really well to take it, although I told Louis if he needed one for his hat-trick he should take it."

Ronaldo could be the undisputed penalty taker on Wednesday however, as Saha is a doubt for the game against Everton having picked up a knock against Chelsea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rb:

Do you guys have the option of recalling Rossi? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's back at Christmas if I remember correctly. But I think Newcastle have the option to extend it if they want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem to have it in my head that he comes back at the end of January :/

At the time of Rossi going I did think it was a good idea and a good move for him, until of course the very next day they signed Sibierski as well, which kinda made it a bit pointless.

Hopefully he'll get games over the busy Christmas period if nothing else.

• 1 month later...

After having a 2 game rest it should surely be the first XI tomorrow except for any injuries?

Me though i'd play Rossi instead of Rooney. Rooney could do with a game or two off and Rossi is best to replace him and partly because i want newcastle to see how good he is when he isnt shoved on the left wing or just given 5 minutes here and there or playing in an injury ridden side who just hoof it up to him.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Gill rejects Larsson talk

Manchester United chief executive David Gill insists it is highly unlikely Henrik Larsson's loan move will turn into a permanent arrangement.

The veteran striker has impressed everyone at Old Trafford since arriving on a three-month loan from Helsingborgs, prompting talk that Sir Alex Ferguson could acquire his services on a permanent basis.

While Gill is willing to concede United could engage in discussions to extend Larsson's stay until the end of the season, he believes personal circumstances will dictate that Larsson returns to his homeland at the season's end.

"Henrik played for Barcelona and went back to Helsingborgs for family and other reasons, so I would have thought that is extremely unlikely," Gill told Five Live.

"He is due to go back in the middle of March and we haven't really discussed that yet as we are focusing on the next few weeks and we will see what happens.

"I think it is a bit early. You can never say never and we will go through that nearer the time with Henrik and the club.

"I know for a fact Alex, Carlos and all the players are very impressed with him in terms of what he can do, his attitude and how he has fitted in and we want great players at the club."

Meanwhile, Gill was quick to reiterate United's utmost desire to keep Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester, amid continued talk of interest from Real Madrid.

When quizzed on what will happen should the Spanish giants make an approach in the summer, Gill was quick to reassure the club's supporters.

"It would be turned down straight away," he concluded.

"One benefit of being a private club as opposed to one on the stock exchange is that we can take a long-term view and we invest in our assets.

"As Arsene Wenger has said on many occasions, clubs aren't banks, we are there to put on entertainment and play a top-class team and there is no point having £35million or £45million if you can't replace that talent.

"At 21 Ronaldo has had a great season and we believe the best is yet to come." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

Neville on the booers

When asked about the booing tonight he said this is what you come to expect from England fans after a poor result, thankfully I play for a club side whose fans are a little more accomodating.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

who can we play instead of rio in mika's lineup for tuesday please?

richo at left back, heinze in the middle? frak it, why not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O'shea - Brown - Silvestre - Heinze

Park - Fletcher - Carrick - Richardson

Smith - Saha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

hargreaves, lennon, bent. team complete and even if everything went to sh*t we could at least say we were trying to do the right thing by english football, unlike all those dirty foreigners at chelsea/liverpool/arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds so easy when you say it like that. All we need is about £55-60mill to prise those three away from their respective clubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but were the richest club in the world!!

besides, selling silvestre, richardson, smith and oshea would surely bring in half that amount.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nikos:

It's okay, guys. You may have no defenders, but we have only Beattie up front - Vaughan, Anichebe and AJ all struggling to be fit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does Duncan Ferguson still play for your lot?

I think we get to see bye bye from Saha. Can't blame anyone though for it, not even Saha cuz it's not like he wants them injuries.

Also i get the feeling Heinze might not be sold anymore this summer. Until 3 weeks ago i was sure about it but now i get the feeling he might keep his place in the squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

How about some news about a different former OT great icon_wink.gif

Linkage </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He stopped playing for them a while ago tbh.

Nantes icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

bus and tram. got the train on monday, there's one direct train from salford crescent to navi road which gets in at 8.44 and as i found out, it takes longer than 16 minutes to walk from the station to the training centre /O\ no return journey possible with that as well so it's not really an option anyway.

so got the bus into town and then the met today. if the job paid more and was something i was genuinely interested in (rather than something that looks ok but isn't really what i wanted to do, and pays relative peanuts) i'd put up with the hassle definitely. few other things have p*ssed me off as well though - salary isn't as much as i was told it would be, i was misled by the recruitment guy about weekend working (when it's compulsory/optional etc) and there's no pay review until november '08. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

will be worse when the trams go off as well. well worth looking around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, that's the key thing really. going to discuss it with them tomorrow anyway, no point going through all the training and then jacking it in (even if it would be easy money for a month) so it needs resolving this week really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

owen /o\ poor mans van nistlerooy and thats saying something </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bit harsh on van nistelrooy there, but i agree with the sentiment that owen is **** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know anything about football? How is Owen ****? He's been injured for the last season so if you're judging him on his end of season performances then thats not really a sound basis from which to cast judgement is it?

He has a good goalscoring record,wherever he's been, even for Real Madrid as i recall so what exactly makes him a bad player? Apart from maybe Etoo if i was a united fan I couldn't think of a striker i'd rather have,especially for the price he would be availible for. An out and out goal poacher which United do not currently have. Plus as someone said it would enable him and Rooney to continue building an understanding...which has always looked good for England so if you dont rate Owen n think he's crap you really dont know your football do you.

Archived