The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Just went online to renew my one united membership & it wouldn't accept my card details icon_mad.gif

I guess I can renew at the ticket office? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They arrogantly renewed my membership icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Right, so apparently the Fulham game has gone on sale to members today:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ticket availability:

North Stand Tier 3 £27

East Stand Tier 2 £30

South Stand Lower £35

Family Stand £29 (juniors £10 in Family Stand only) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So with all the new ST's, and the one-year ST's, looks like the membership scheme is basically dead in the water?

Only plus is the touts are going to be properly shafted this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose it makes sense from a 'financial' point of view (eurgh). The club are all too aware that attendances are on the brink of dropping, so they'll try and tie as many people as possible into paying money for the games even if they don't end up going to them. One United probably just a means to an end now, making you eligible for that year-long season ticket.

Fcuking sickening as well. Essentially the club saying 'give us half a grand now or you're only coming to three games next season'.

Oh, and £35 for the South Stand? Ahahahahahahahaha.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Kaiser Chiefs vs Manchester United

Starting XI:

1. Foster

4. Simpson

6. Brown

5. O'Shea

3. Evra

7. Fletcher icon_frown.gif

18. Scholes

11. Giggs

8. Richardson

20. Solskjaer

9. Rossi

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

At least we get to see if Foster is any good at saving them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More importantly - Have we got anyone to take them after RVN goes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Whilst you worship boyhood Liverpool fan OGS. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He won the CL for us. Gerrard and Carragher did for you, that's cool. Fowler's just a lardy bandwagoner.

• 2 weeks later...

So does anyone think Danny Simpson (Right Back who played right back against Ajax for anyone who posts on Redcafe and had him down as a left back playing at left back against Ajax) is going be a better right back than Phil Bardsley?

Bardsley is a better defender but Simpson is miles better going forward, he seems more of a natural replacement for Neville.

• 2 weeks later...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Manchester United 2006/07 Season Leading Goalscorers

Wayne Rooney – 2

Louis Saha - 2

Darren Fletcher - 1

Cristiano Ronaldo – 1

Ole Solskjaer - 1

Own Goals – 1

Manchester United 2006/07 Season Leading Assisters

Wes Brown – 1

Ryan Giggs – 1

Wayne Rooney – 1

Louis Saha – 1

** Assists to be updated when i get a second look on MOTD tonight.

</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Oh **** off, you're enjoying this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

kind of, in a rubber necker kind of way.

Seriously it was never going to happen.

Christ Fergie icon_biggrin.gif

Ben (\O/), I'm going off what I've seen of Aurelio in La Liga, I've not really seen much of Liverpool's games yet bar MOTD. I'll happily admit I was wrong if he goes on to do alright for you lot.

Couldn't really gaf if Riise was part of a largely impressive defence - we've somehow looked solid for long periods with Silvestre in the team in the past, which basically proves having an solid defence doesn't make every member of it all that great. Riise's a good attacking left back, would be doing well to make a top 10 defensively.

Hurry back x

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Bends:

We are unbelievably good at the moment. Long may it continue

Rooney is fb

Fletcher is fb

Everyone except O'Shea is fffffffffffffffffffffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just hope Saha will one day learn to score 1 on 1's with the keeper icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, he isnt the best in 1 on 1 situations, but on the other hand he scores a lot of goals others wouldn't and his all round game for us so far this season has been excellent. just wish he could start burying more 1 on 1s though

mark robins has come out in support of the controversial plan concocted by our very own james07?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Saviour Robins: Fergie just cannot let go

Mark Robins, the man once credited with keeping Sir Alex Ferguson in his job, believes the Manchester United manager will find it all but impossible to retire.

Ferguson, who announced his retirement in 2002 but then changed his mind, celebrates an astonishing 20 years at Old Trafford on Monday.

He arrived from Aberdeen, where he had broken the dominance of Rangers and Celtic, and has since presided over a remarkable period.

Winning the title in 1993 ended a 26-year wait for league glory and proved the catalyst for a run of sustained success which saw United overhaul bitter rivals Liverpool as the dominant force in English football.

Yet as he approaches his 65th birthday next month, Ferguson's burning desire to capture further silverware shows no sign of diminishing.

'He'll be in the job until he stops breathing,' claimed Robins. 'I honestly think that he will go on for as long as he can, without a shadow of a doubt.

'He's so passionate and he can't live without football. It's instilled in him and is in his blood.

'I don't think you can ever take that away and the day that happens will be the day he stops breathing.

'To manage United for 20 years is absolutely phenomenal and why should he give it up as long as he is fit and healthy?'

Ferguson had a pacemaker fitted in March 2004 after initially receiving treatment for a heart condition.

But Robins, 36, feels the challenge of wresting the Premiership title from Chelsea and landing another European Cup will keep his erstwhile boss in rude health.

'He wants to build another team and that's what he's doing,' said the former United striker.

'Obviously he's excited about it and it keeps him young. He had all those outstanding players, such as David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville, who came through in the early to mid-90s, and now he's trying to build another team.

'The treble team in 1999 was proven but this one is a work in progress.

'That challenge of toppling Chelsea will spur him on and this season they're looking like they're capable of winning the league.'

Ferguson has won eight Premiership trophies, five FA Cups, two League Cups, a European Cup and a European Cup Winners' Cup.

And yet it may all have been different if United had not beaten Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup third round on January 7, 1990.

Ferguson was under severe pressure to compensate for United's failure to challenge for the league title by making progress in the cup and Robins - a lifelong United fan from Oldham - scored to give Ferguson's men a 1-0 win and set them on their way to winning the famous trophy.

'United weren't doing so well in the league , Forest were flying and yes, Fergie was under pressure,' Robins added.

'We went into the game desperately needing a win because we were down there in the bottom half of the league.

'The build-up to the FA Cup is different anyway and I think Fergie probably used that psychologically to get a different build-up and get the players in the right frame of mind.

'So we were just thinking about the FA Cup and not the pressure the manager was under.'

Robins, now head of youth football at Rotherham, laughs about it now but the significance of his goal at the City Ground cannot be overstated.

He said: 'Mark Hughes put the ball in with the outside of his right foot and there was nothing else I could do but head it right back the way it came and into the corner.

'It was fate and I was delighted and proud to have played a part in us going on to win the FA Cup that season.'

Not that he has ever received any thanks from Ferguson for potentially saving his job.

'You wouldn't expect him to either, would you?' admitted Robins.

'It was just a game and he picks players to do a job and I did my job on the day.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading H – 3 3

newcastle A – 1 1

Villa H - 3

Arsenal A - 0

Watford H - 3

Spurs A - 1

Charlton H - 3

Fulham A - 3

Liverpool A - 0

Bolton H - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Sheffield Utd H - 3

Chelsea A - 0

Boro H - 3

Everton A - 1

City A - 3

West Ham A - 3

Total 35 (50) – 85 85

CHELSEA

Fulham H – 3 1

Villa A - 3

Wigan H - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Charlton A - 3

Boro H - 3

Man City A - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Shef U H - 3

Watford A - 3

Spurs H - 3

West Ham A - 1

Man Utd H - 3

Newcastle A - 1

Bolton H 3

Arsenal A - 0

Everton H 3

Total 43 (46) 89 87

getting close icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

FAO any members/season ticket holders

If any of you guys aren't going to Lille, any chance that we can use your membership/ST number so we can get as many applications in as possible, would be very greatful, if so can you email it over to me at martinsheehan [at] gmail [dot] com, with your username/real name.

Cheers icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just so I'm sure before I give you mu OU number, if you're successful with my number and you're the one booking it, nothing comes out of my account right? I mean, its not like you've got my bank details.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

mine's basically ali's list, although i might have Dwight Yorke in there (maybe even ahead of Ruud) purely for the impact he made in the defining season of the period we're looking at. might have Ole higher as well, just because of the ridiculous number of crucial goals, again especially in THAT season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah thats my main gripe. alright Chelsea had injury problems during the season.. but we had a pretty devastating culmination of defensive cripples at the most important stage of the season, yet came through it.

meh

important thing is we know how great we've been icon_cool.gif

9 out of 15 with at least 3 completely different sides. wp Fergie.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FC United will play away at Studley FC (Nr Redditch, Worcestershire) on Saturday 14th July 2007 in a match organised through The Jimmy Davis Memorial Fund.

The Jimmy Davis Memorial Fund has been set up by Jimmy’s family and Jimmy’s best friend Tim Wilkes, to raise funds in order to help young, up and coming footballers. The main aim of the fund is to support youth football.

Jimmy Davis, a very talented young footballer from Redditch, died in August 2003 at the age of twenty-one. Jimmy signed for Manchester United at the age of 14 and made his debut away at Arsenal in the League Cup on Bonfire Night in 2001. He also represented his country from the age of 15 to under 20’s level. While at Manchester United Jimmy was sent out on loan to Swindon Town and Watford and all these clubs very kindly support the fund.

Each year the Memorial Fund holds a football match for Jimmy’s Memorial Cup, the proceeds of which will go to the charity. FC United are honoured to have been approached by Jimmy’s family to take part in this years Memorial Cup.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any of you lot fancy this, its for a good cause and some of you are based in the Midlands iirc, and I think its too early to clash with any United pre season games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i'm not working that sounds like it could be good icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

And Martin wasn't my main source. icon_razz.gif

But, yeah, you're right. ST ftw. \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you forget the amount of moaning from jonny about tickets or lack off, particulary cup final one when he knew full well that only if i was fit enough would i of skipped it for my running

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> BBC SPORT

Man Utd defend cup ticket policy

Manchester United have defended a new policy which forces season-ticket holders to buy tickets for cup matches.

Fans have criticised the automatic cup ticket scheme, which is compulsory for season-ticket renewals this season.

Under the scheme, fans are issued and billed for cup-match tickets whether they want them or not.

A United spokesman said:"Three-quarters of our fans were signed up anyway, and of the remaining 25%, all went to at least one cup game last season."

The automatic cup ticket scheme (ACT) will provide season ticket holders with tickets for all Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup matches at Old Trafford.

Supporters claim the scheme is a move to guarantee income from games against less attractive opposition and could potentially add another £380 to the cost of their season ticket.

The United spokesman said: "All we've done is redefine what a season is, away from purely a League season, to be a whole season."

The scheme follows an average Old Trafford season-ticket price rise of 14% this year.

United fan Stuart Parrish accused the club of exploiting their loyalty, arguing the scheme provided fans with no benefits.

"We should be able to choose whether we want tickets for cup games or not," said Parrish.

The United spokesman said fans who did not want their tickets for cup matches would be able to dispose of them in the club's ticket exchange, where they would be able to sell them for face value to other members.

Disgruntled United fans who have opted not to renew their season ticket in protest, have set up a website to encourage others to join a boycott.

The United spokesman added: "We've a waiting list of 14,000 for season tickets and we regularly turned 5,000 people away for Premiership games last season."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived