The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Well 'Finally' the new thread has been started, cant say I care that much for the title , although any title with Vidic in is always going to get the icon14.gif from me.

Pleased with start to the campaign , pleasently surprised at the first couple of games and we can 'hopefully' start the season with maximum points from our first three games at least , and another end of the season home game this time against West Ham could have been a lot harder.

As for the 'top 5' list:

1. Mascherano in

2. Carrick in

3. Ruud to stay

4. Picking up points against lower teams (Blackburn, Middlesbrough etc.)

5. Ole to score the winner against City to WIN THE PREMIERSHIP!!!

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Apparently our two cheese-eating surrender monkeys are due to start their must-win game this evening. Hopefully Mickey will do well in the shop window. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he gets made look like a fool against Togo then we won't be able to give him away.

And then we'll finally have to take him out the back and put him out of his misery. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gripper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Right lads, I've just acquired some interesting information about which teams are listed as our rivals in the upcoming FM2007. Thought you might find this interesting:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Liverpool 21

Man City 19

Leeds 18

Arsenal 17

Chelsea 15

Blackburn 14

Newcastle 13

Bolton 12

West Ham 11

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only just stopped laughing at everyone below the top three, and I was told this ten minutes ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the data used in FM2006. Like the entire database, the data is being updated this month for the club data for FM2007. As I have not yet received that file from the Man Utd researcher and there are quite literally months remaining before the database is locked for FM2007, I am keen to establish how you 'know' that Man Utd's rivals will be the same for FM2007.

Anyway, now that the issue has been brought up, I'd like to know what sort of figures should be given for Man Utd's rivals. All serious suggestions considered.

And referring to what clubs rate Man Utd as their 'rivals', local clubs such as Oldham will consider them as rivals and raise their game if you will ever meet. A rivalry does not have to be two-way (note how Stockport and Bury put so much more into their games with Citeh in the last 90s than Citeh did.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was unfairly led to believe this was FM07 data. Give Phil a slap for me.

I understand other clubs having us as rivals when we may not consider them so. We're more than used to that from the likes of Bolton, Newcastle, West Ham etc.

Serious suggestions as to what the figures should be for our rivals?

Liverpool 20 (transfers do occasionally happen, we're talking incredibly rarely but it's incorrect to say it never happens)

Manchester City 20

Leeds 18

Those three are the biggies. Below that you'd maybe have Everton at about 10, Arsenal at 7/8. Maybe chuck Bolton in at 5/6.

All the others listed - Newcastle, West Ham, Chelsea, Blackburn - I'd be amazed if you could find a United fan who considers them genuine rivals. Chelsea are an odd case I guess, but the other three aren't rivals in any vague way.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I've said it before. Manchester United, as a club, do not panic buy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you tell 'em liam miller </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Liam Miller was no panic buy, he was a panic signing on a Bosman icon_cool.gif

Can't have this being hidden away in the Citeh thread now..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The City of Manchester Stadium is already gearing up for the forthcoming season with the installation of huge new signs on the both sides of the stadium.

The neon lettering, in blue, of course, that reads 'Manchester City Football Club' has just been hoisted into place on the outside of the Colin Bell Stand. The same wording is about to be put into position on the East Stand, giving the Club the two largest neon signs in Manchester.

The scaffolding will remain in place while work continues on the signs, with the Club anticipating that they will be switched on before the Thomas Cook Trophy match against Porto on August 12th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Truly MASSIVE icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that Earnshaw was fantastic for us. He didn't play enough and put in a transfer request and was then sold. Happens to lots of players

When Robson arrived he called Koumas the most talented player in the squad, even above Kanu. He was praising him a lot and gave him a few chances. But Koumas had personal problems and wasn't handling them well.

Going to Cardiff was the best thing that could of happened to him, Cardiff agreed a £2m fee if they ever wanted to buy him. Not £1m + £500k if we do this and £200k if he plays 50 times etc. Just £2m. We have said we would accept £1.5m plus add ons. Cardiff are blatently using the fact that Koumas is desperate to leave to try and get him on the cheap

BTW, I think Robson is a complete idiot of a manager and wish he had of left in the summer. Earnie was my favourite player. But I agree with the club on the Koumas issue.

With Earnie I guess that Robson just didn't rate him and so sold him. Don't see that as Earnie being badly treated, although he was unfortunate that we got a complete dope as manager.

But Earnshaw escaped and I am still stuck with Robson. I think I am being badly treated icon_frown.gificon_wink.gif

Thought Carrick was average today. Seems to favour the cuddle and pull to the ground method of tackling perfected by Dazzle.

But it was Carricks first pre season game, first for a new club playing alongside a similar player(Who i thought very good tonight) and i have no doubt he can and will put in a lotter better performances.

As has been said, he didnt put us under any trouble and at times put in some neat passing play with Scholes. Still think you will only see the best of Carrick when he has a midfielder next to him who will get stuck in but fingers crossed we will have one soon enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

looks like I'll be coming to the Seville game now...who else is going? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yay icon_smile.gif

Me/Nick/Rcjuk, if he gets his ST ofc

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Carlos Tevez's spell at Corinthians could be over after his agent revealed the striker was on the brink of a move to England.

The 22-year-old Argentina international was stripped of the captaincy by new Corinthians coach Emerson Leao and walked out on the club earlier this week.

He is now back in Sao Paulo in a bid to avoid a hefty fine but he has yet to train with the squad.

His agent Adrian Rucco said on Friday: "Tevez is very close to moving to an English club."

Manchester United have been linked with a move for Tevez, while Bayern Munich and AC Milan are also thought to be interested in the striker.

Tevez cost Corinthians a South American record fee of 18million in December 2004 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEE be us. we don't really need him, but i dont want to see him go to chelsea, liverpool or the arse

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A small number of tickets remain, single seats only (not together) and these are available to Season Ticket Holders and One United Members on a first come first served basis by telephoning 0870 442 1999 (subject to availability). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

oh yeah also was it me or was there some Ronaldo song about England being sh*te?

If so - what is it exactly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He plays on the leeeeeeeeeeft, he plays on the riiiiiiiiiiiight, that boy Ronaldo, made England look sh1te \o/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

James doing his best to alienate himself from the rest of the wall icon_frown.gif

Martin did you go to the gym again today? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep and again later today icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glutton for punishment, eh ? icon_biggrin.gif

That'll soon wear off. icon_razz.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And RB, I know I could have sourced one elsewhere that isn't the issue, if I didn't get lucky in the ballot it'd be welcome. Its the fact that that they should know that I have a ticket VIA THEM in the first place therefore negating the need to inform me and every other OU member that has a ticket through the TO ballot system that is bugging me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok i just assumed you didn't get one

That is stupid and lazy then

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Depends which of the carers is using it, there are 3 visitor spots though, will let you know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are 4 wally

3 in a row and one the other side of the path

besides there are always loads of spots by the fence next to the footie pitch

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by byebecks:

Just got an email sayin that i can get 2 Liverpool tickets if i want them!! Also got 2 extra Copenhagen tickets for a couple of friends which means i got 6 in total. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me a Liverpool ticket. Go on, you know you want to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing much has changed from last season then? icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

oh i forgot another con

-as soon as rooney ronaldo and carrick went off it becomes clear why in my opinion we will struggle to win the league. o'shea, fletcher and silvestre come on and we lose all fluidity of passing and tempo. the last 15 minutes today very similar to copenhagen in that respect. squad below the first team basically not strong enough and if we lose one of saha/rooney/giggs/scholes for any long period of time we are screwed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly please dont bung Fletcher in as having the equivalent impact as Silvestre and O'Shea.

Secondly as I already said we cant hope to compete with Chelsea in depth... and aside from them our squad is easily comparable and probably better than Arsenal/Liverpool.

We have a fair few good players below our first XI now tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will bung fletcher in there today because its a simple fact that our fluidity of passing wasnt the same when the three came on.

and your second point is basically agreeing with me, we cant compete with chelsea squad wise so prob wont win the league icon_confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

You'll score and win eventually ffs, you're not us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now kids, what have we learnt?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

This is worse than talking to Keyser. So the point we're trying to make is that by getting our tactics wrong, we were in far more danger of going out than if we'd got them right. And we got our tactics right eventually, but we only changed them as a reaction to going a goal down. Does it not worry you that we made exactly the same tactical errors as we did against Celtic, and that had the goal against us come earlier rather than later as it did in that game, we could and probably would have been out of the competition? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly think tactics are overrated, but hey that's just an opinion icon_smile.gif You're talking about "would have's" and I just don't see the point. But again, just an opinion icon_smile.gif You're saying probably out of the competition but that's just as valid as me saying we would have won 10-1? You just can't tell.

Anyway you seem like a good bunch of lads I'm feeling the love icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the difference is that my "would have's" are based on how we were actually playing at the time, rather than some flight of fancy.

Answer me this, then. Given how we were playing, in the hypothetical situation where we didn't concede the goal when we did, which do you think was more likely, that we'd have conceded one later on, or that we'd have won 4-0?

• 1 month later...

If you call 2 points well behind, then yes.

Its no surprise at all though that since he's been injured Chelsea have been shipping goals from all angles, and having to rely on their strikers getting more at the other end than they concede. Terry being back, even 80% fit, will be a huge boost to them. For starters, Essien can stop playing at centre back and be immense in the middle of the park again.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

It was only a few months since he turned the CL final around, I wasn't too worried, plus it was only a loan.

And Eddie, don't start that again ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not starting anything, Matt. icon_smile.gif

Just agreeing with the man, is all.

It's history now. He (Ruud) needs to get over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's answering questions put forward to him? :/

Honestly, every "OMG GET OVER IT" post increases the idiot level of the said poster by 10%.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

The booing of KR is getting louder and louder every game, personally I think it's wrong. I don't rate him, he isn't good enough for United but booing him is unfair. He isn't going to improve at all if people are going to boo him is he?

The atmosphere seems to be getting better too, has it got to do with all the new season ticket holders learning the words to the songs? Or is it just because the title race is so close? The new quadrants? I have had a ST since 01 and this season has easily been the best atmosphere-wise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because of the title race.

I better hope this season the crowd will ****ing stay at the last game for the round of applause and not like last season when 60% of the stadium was empty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

Sorry lads, Chelsea dont have a game in hand do they? Sky Sports seem to think they do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

......And that table is from yesterday. Well played me.

So we're only three ahead now?

just spoke to mu travel and it seems they didnt fancy contacting me to say my credit card hadnt gone through as it seems id put my billing address as my delivery address in my drunken state.

and there is no more tickets available now ffs.

i'm not overly ****ed off any way cos i couldnt really afford it and i have a job interview on tuesday anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Nick, mate, any chance you can accidentally add van Nistelrooy to the team for 08? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll try and sneak him in there. maybe call him nan Vistelrooy or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rather than shortening it to 'nan, use the full version, granny?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude0007:

3-0 icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

we were so close but those players are a pile of **** icon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon13.gif

Milan the cheating b*st*ards they shouldnt even be here

icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sore loser for the muth-fcuking WIN!

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Nick, are you going on monday, or are you scared the jinx will continue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

monday? you've lost me

• 2 weeks later...

Archived