The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Wasn't he in the Lord of the Rings? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*tumbleweed*

Unsettled Ruud to return to United on Monday

Sir Alex Ferguson is prepared to roll out the welcome mat for Ruud van Nistelrooy's return to training with Manchester United on Monday.

The Dutch striker's future has been the subject of intense speculation throughout the summer, with both Real Madrid and Bayern Munich heavily linked with the 30-year-old.

A move at some point seemed inevitable given Van Nistelrooy's end-of-season bust-up with Ferguson, who hardly played the forward through the latter stages of the campaign, then axed him in favour of Giuseppe Rossi for the final game against Charlton.

That move prompted a furious response from Van Nistelrooy, which resulted in him being kicked out of the team hotel, barred from playing in Roy Keane's testimonial three days later and, to all intents and purposes, shunted out of the Old Trafford exit door for good.

Real quickly moved in once the World Cup was over and, with new coach Fabio Capello confirming his interest in signing the former PSV Eindhoven man, it was thought Van Nistelrooy would be unveiled at the Bernabeu at some point this week.

Instead, discussions have stalled over the fee, with Real refusing to meet United's £15million valuation and now starting to make veiled threats they will not be held to ransom.

Bayern remain hopeful of luring Van Nistelrooy - a fluent German speaker - to the Bundesliga.

However, no deal will be completed over the weekend, meaning the forward is expected back at United's Carrington training base for the start of his pre-season work on Monday.

And, rather than fear the prospect of Van Nistelrooy's return, Ferguson claims he will be delighted to see the forward, one of only eight players to score 150 goals for United, and would have no problem if he was still part of his squad next season.

'Ruud is not definitely leaving and I expect to see him at training on Monday,' Ferguson said.

'I spoke to (chief executive) David Gill on the phone yesterday and there is no development as far as Real Madrid is concerned.

'They have made an offer, we have rejected it. That is where the situation lies. If they don't come back in and increase their offer, he won't be going and I would be content with that. It would not bother me one bit.

'He is a striker who can score upwards of 20 goals a season and there are not many of those going around.'

Although Ferguson could be playing the diplomatic card, United have made no secret of their desire to play hardball over Van Nistelrooy, citing the £29million Chelsea have paid for Andriy Shevchenko and the £8.5million it cost Everton to sign Andrew Johnson from Crystal Palace, then questioning which player Van Nistelrooy's past record suggests he should be closest to.

Meanwhile, the United boss has distanced himself from claims he attacked Chelsea's transfer policy during an after-dinner speech in Johannesburg earlier this week.

It was alleged Ferguson suggested Chelsea were 'hell bent on ruining football' with their big-spending ways.

However, the Scot has denied making the comments, although he did express some concern at talk the Blues were recruiting massive numbers of African youngsters, one of whom, John Obi Mikel, Chelsea bought from United at a cost of £12million earlier this year after a protracted wrangle and without him actually making a single appearance for the Old Trafford outfit.

'Chelsea have every right to do what is right for their club, just as we have every right to do what is right for us,' he said.

'I did not say their transfer policy was bad for the game. It is clearly good for Chelsea.

'But, if it is correct they are going to sign 30 African boys, you have to wonder how they are all going to get a game.'

United wrap up their successful three-match South Africa tour in the Vodacom Cup final against Kaizer Chiefs in Pretoria tomorrow.

The game is a rematch of the meeting between the sides in Cape Town on Tuesday, which the Red Devils won with a late strike from Dong Fangzhou.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

:*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but too late to stop us breaking the unbeaten record :****) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

Incidentally the guy who made that vid has commented on it just now icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Only one Carrick... there's only one Carrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank god since we couldn't afford another one anyway icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Jones injury not serious

David Jones was not seriously injured in an awkward fall during United's pre-season friendly victory over Macclesfield Town on Monday.

The 21-year-old midfielder, who is looking to make an impact in United's first team this season after spending last year out on loan, was substituted during the 2-1 victory at Moss Rose and taken to hospital to have the injury assessed.

But the club have confirmed the Southport-born midfielder will not be out of action for long.

A club spokesperson told ManUtd.com: "The injury is not serious and there was no break. David fell awkwardly and has a bruised elbow." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Senna hints at United move

Villarreal's Brazilian-born Spanish international midfielder Marcos Senna claims United are in negotiations to bring him to Old Trafford.

The 30-year-old, who was part of Spain's 2006 World Cup squad, has been linked with a move to United as the Reds look to compliment the signing of playmaking midfielder Michael Carrick with a more defensive, tackling central player.

Senna played in both Champions League matches against United in 2005/06. He has stated that would be happy to stay at El Madrigal, but simply wants to resolve his future either way.

"I know they are negotiating a transfer and I hope they sort things out as soon as possible, so I know what my future will be," he said. "To be honest, Villarreal opened their doors for me and I am very happy here.

"The club have signed some good new players and I have always said my ambition is to win a title with this club. This season would be a great chance to do that. But we will see."

The Reds had been linked with an audacious move for former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira. However, the 30-year-old Frenchman completed a move from Juventus to Inter Milan on Tuesday night.

He had expressed an interest in joining United as he looked for an escape route from the Turin club after they were demoted to Serie B following their part in Italian football's match-fixing scandal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

Then I was sat opposite you and down 1 row.

I thought it may have been you, so I shouted Mart at half time but you didn't move so thought I best stay away </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please say you have a picture of him walking out with 5 minutes to go. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I left before icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Definitely none for Fletcher today though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can answer my yes or no too then icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

I don't see this as a bad thing tbh. At least this way you will see if the kids you have in your squad are good enough. Jones being a prime example. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jonah's really the only youngster we've kept, and his best position is the one we're arguably best stocked in. Rossi, Bardsley, Simpson, Martin, Gibson could all arguably have staked a claim in weaker positions had they stayed.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Eddie, we thought you'd been kidnapped today fella icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't going to queue in offie for fags, so walked out further. Ended up by the cricket ground and bought fags in a shop near there. On the way back I needed a pee so stopped at the Trafford. Had to queue for a slash, ffs. icon_frown.gif I was dancing a bit, but managed to not embarrass myself.

Bought a new hoodie, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'm not gay but if vida lubed me up I'd let him slide it in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhm...

Now Vida is my 2nd favourite United player now (very close to Heinze) but.... uhm. lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In games like this I don't think it particularly matters, for me this is our hardest match of the season so far, and I include Chelsea at home in that. I'd always take a draw away from home against Arsenal, anything more is a massive bonus.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

It's been a year and a day since smudger got snapped in 8 icon_frown.gif

MON SMUDGER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happened in february didnt it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Feb 18th

Ah icon_frown.gif Yeah solicitors firms are the same apparently, as well as wanting you to have "commerical awarenesss".

Got two LPC offers this week. \o/ Still curious as to what exactly you meant in your email though that I seemed to get the wrong end of the stick of, drop me an email sometime.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Btw, has it been confirmed either way whether Saha has travelled (or is going to travel) with the squad to Rome yet?

Earlier in the day it seemed like they weren't going to risk him but then I saw a couple of quotes that seemed to confuse the issue in a non-answer kinda way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

And what Nick said about Evra. The fact that he's been available for the bench for the last couple of games worries me that there's something in the rumour that he's fit, but isn't playing because he's fallen out with Fergie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm not buying that rumour myself. he picked up the injury against Liverpool, was missing for a few games, back on the bench vs Bolton and then missing again until saturday. don't think that suggests anything other than he wasn't really ready when stuck on the bench for the Bolton game (or that he aggravated the knock in the immediate aftermath). i know Fergie's stubborn but if he's been fit all this time, he'd have surely gone to Rome considering we only had four other fit defenders. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd forgotten he wasn't in Rome tbh. He certainly needs to be starting sooner rather than later.

So given he starts soon, what would your back 4 be? When he's in, you've got to drop one of Gabby, Wes and O'Shea, and while O'Shea's the weakest player of the three, he's probably the better option attacking wise from RB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd drop Gaby. i don't think now is the time to experiment with him in the middle.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

I'm shocked, by all accounts Mart behaved impeccably and it was Nick who nearly lost it in the Everton end.

they're still alive icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

doesn't sound like mart to behave like that tbh

i wonder if he got quizzed when collecting the tickets this morning as i mailed them to El Gordo nor M Shhehan

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Nick, can I email my awards early Saturday morning? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure. i've counted everything in so far so it's not really any hassle to do them as and when they come in, up until sunday/monday night.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived