The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A letter to the MEN:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your reporter Trevor Baxter (M.E.N., July 8) stated that Manchester City were to erect two neon signs, believed to be the largest in Manchester, before the big match against FC Porto on August 12.

It is a well known fact among football fans that City used to boast the tallest floodlights in the land, at their old Maine Road ground - not to mention the widest pitch in England, Europe and possibly even the world.

But to claim to have the "largest" neon lights in Manchester, I feel, is a little unrealistic. I doubt if there are larger neon lights than the ones at Kelloggs in Trafford Park.

Perhaps someone could check?

Pete Boyle, Manchester </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Mikael an honourable third? icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only ever had 3 fav players at Man Utd. Kanchelskis, Cole and then Silvestre.

When Silvestre leaves i will adopt another.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

after chasing Carrick all summer i am sure he is the one you will sign </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

such stunning insight, do you work for the BBC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you're all jumping up and down about Mascherno and how you would rather have him, more chance of Carrick wouldnt you think ?

Calm down, little boy icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha little boy, such undeserved cockiness from such a hateful racist ******** artist

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zaitsev:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

icon_biggrin.gif

Everton must be gutted. Slightly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess for a couple of quid more than you paid for Johnson, you could have had one of the best strikers in Europe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Oh, and there's a 'delay' from where I'm sitting as the penalty's not even been awarded yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steam TV icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No comment...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'I saw him yesterday, I'm going to see him tomorrow. He's got his family around him.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bombthembombthembombthem

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

Papers tomorrow running the Heinze to Real thing again, "Ruud tells Real to grab Gab" etc *cringe* icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's gone tbf he's in my dream team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just to let you know I also got Jose Reyes in my time as well icon_frown.gif I'm a curse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i introduced a friend to mart i think, not sure if anyone else was there at chelsea 2 seasons ago (when we lost 3-1) admittidly i didnt stand around chatting like i ususally do but still!

Internet randoms are fb btw, i shared a room with 3 of them dispite never meeting them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

at least he didnt dance topless on a table in Amsterdam in front of gays and hookers

that was how the BBB story went right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT. NEVER. OCCURED.

BBB is telling porkies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I don't see the problem with calling a **** a **** when he's being a **** but supporting him to the hilt when he's wearing the shirt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY.

• 2 weeks later...

O'Shea is fat = shouldn't play top-level football

O'Shea supports Liverpool = shouldn't play for Manchester United

It's a ****ing disgrace that he's anywhere near our team and he shouldn't be at the club. If he had a shred of decency about him he'd admit that he's not up to it and go and find another challenge elsewhere. I ****ing hate him.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobARC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

That's the only reason I can think he was picked over Evra. Evra has shown that he's not always going to come off best if things get a bit combative but Gaby ended up out wide at the one time we really needed him in the middle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really understand what you mean, Heinze was marking Carvalho at the corner. He was at fault as he gave Carvalho space to get a running jump. The thing is Heinze isn't that good in the air anyway he's too short and frequently gets outjumped, he's only effective in stopping the other player jumping or getting a clean header and he failed.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heinze wasn't marking him though. He ran side on into the challenge rather than being that bit ahead and getting in front of Carvalho. If he had been marking properly he would've been able to become another obstacle that Carvalho would've had to contend with. I'm not saying he would've made the header but it could well have been enough to make it more difficult for Carvalho to reach as he would've had to have jumped over three men to get to it.

Part and parcel of set pieces is the blocking and obstructing of players in and around the penalty area so they aren't allowed the space to gain the momentum to jump like Carvalho did. Heinze failed to prevent the gap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

in all seriousness, i have been absolutely stunned at how things have gone for him at west ham. but i really think it's more a case of wrong player at the wrong club than anything else. just how the hell hayden ****ing mullins gets picked ahead of him i'll never know.

he can't move in january anyway, so if we don't get hargreaves during this window, i'd be lining up the masher for the next.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Irritating first half, but some quite brilliant attacking football in the second today. Thought Carrick was awesome throughout, was always there to pick up the pieces when an attack breaks done and 9 times out of 10 picked the correct pass. I also thought Gabby did well seeing as he hasnt had that much first team action, he slotted in like he'd never been away. Rio,Vida & Neville wern't really troubled by a Watford team that got all their team behind the ball but what they had to do they did it well. Now for the suprising think about today, whilst not against any great powers John O'shea actually looked like a football and had a spotless game (cant remember him giving the ball away all that much), although this could have something to do with the fact Watford's midfield were camped on their 18 yard line.Ronaldo was briliant as the game went one , although he started a little rusty. Thought Rooney was getting back to his best towards the end after starting a little slowly, Ole looked a bit off pace which is concerning , although when Henke came on it showed straight away the class of the guy.

No on to Mr Richardson, he must have had the worst first half display I have ever seen from a United player ( and I saw William Prunier icon_frown.gif), I mean seriously how on earth can Fergie justify putting him in before Park & Fletcher , it really does bewilder me.

MoM: Michael Carrick

2nd: Ronaldo

Couldnt make it to 'The Wall' we were late getting there , so we just went straight in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I know he's a bit chunky, but that's a bit harsh, isn't it? icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Mart's now dirty leeds scum, and as such banned from the wall. We'll have no whippets, flat caps, bitter or sheep at our esteemed drinking venue.

"ey oop lads, WE ARE T'PRIDE OF ALL EUROPE, T'**** OF T'NORTH" - i'm not having it icon13.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

I’ve not read anything else from today but it looks like the “go to a replay and have Scholes back in the league†crowd got their wish so I assume they’re happy. Not too disappointed that we’re going to a replay though since it was a good cup-tie today. Not sure Fergie will necessarily see it that way since his decision not to make a change says to me that he wanted to try and get through at the first attempt. Thought we played some really nice stuff at times and even with the two avoidable goals it was our best performance for a while as a team. Just nice to see some carefree attacking football. Pity about the 10 minutes of slackness either side of HT but it happens. At least it was the cup not the league. Hoping that nobody got any injuries today as well. Anyway…

TK: Two great stops in the first half but looked shaky on crosses and set-pieces.

GN: Got forward more than he has been doing and did okay against Downing.

NV: More assured than a couple of his recent performances have been. Cracking tackle to deny Boateng in the second half.

RF: Started shakily against Yakubu I thought but got better as the game went on. Was concerned when he went down before HT.

GH: Possibly his best game this season. Really pleased with his work today.

CR: Thrived in the atmosphere, really good threat, took the penalty expertly.

MC: Had a really good spell following their second goal and demanded the ball more regularly in the absence of Scholes which I thought was a good thing. Actually saw more today of the kind of Carrick I expect to see post-Scholes. Did well breaking up play at times as well.

JOS: Tried way too many sweeping balls to the wings for my liking but generally did okay overall. Didn’t do anything markedly dangerous which is always a plus.

RG: Thought it was his best game for ages. Looked fresh, full of thrust when running with the ball, and did well picking his passes as well.

WR: Took his goal well but didn’t do anything else spectacular. Obviously could do much better but with us out of striking options at the minute I’ll be content if all we get from him is goals between now and the end of the season. I don’t think we’ll get anything else out of him at this point to be honest. He can get back into the groove properly next season.

HL: Cracking movement, closing down & build-up play in the first half, faded in the second as his numerous runs took their toll. Can’t criticise him really. Pity he has to go but its been a privilege to get to watch him in our shirt.

Would be easy to pick Ronaldo but I’m just really pleased with these two…

MOM: Ryan Giggs

2ND: Gabby Heinze

Pretty clear IMO but…

AFFG#1: TK

AFFG#2: Rio Ferdinand </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much spot on icon14.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Woke up at 230AM to watch this, and I must say, it was well worth it icon_razz.gif

Totti, Mancini and the Roma keeper, whoever he is looked absolutely destroyed. When Carrick's thunderbolt of a second goal flew in, they just collapsed.

I'm so happy to see Smith scoring and tackling the way we all remember him, a far cry from the timid No. 14 that played against Southend earlier in the season. Brown and Fletcher had solid games as well, surprisingly. And Richardson still looks crap against a team that was down by 5 or 6 goals. That speaks volume about his (lack of) ability.

Should have rought on Dong or something instead!

Who do you fancy facing in the semis? Milan or Bayern? I'm a Milan fan as well as a Utd one, but I can honestly say I think Milan would be the easier tie, but I don't know how it'll shape up.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

2nd: Didn't see it , because of idiots go down the concourses ffs icon_mad.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably for the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

yeah, and i'm saying anyone who gets into that mindset based on one misplaced pass and refused to be swayed by the following brilliant 89 minutes isn't remotely worth listening to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Actually i think all these awards for Ronaldo have damaged his style of play.

Ever since he won the double PFA award he started playing like last season. Just hugging the ball and trying to do everything by himself and eventually leading to nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you are joking because that just seems a stupid thing to say.

since he netted the awards he has played 3 times. Twice against Milan and Once against Everton.

So on the basis of an awful team performance by everyone where he was double marked, a game where he got half an hour while nowhere near match fit and the first game against Milan where i saw no evidence of anything going to his head you are saying things have gone to his head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

meh.

He hugged the ball in the first leg icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Scholesy unfortunate in that his best seasons have clashed with someone else having a sensational season (Ronnie this year, Ruud in 2003, Keano in 1999). dare say if he was more of a limelight-grabbing player he'd probably have won it once or twice (and a lot of other awards) - sure he's not remotely arsed though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, he is possibly the most humble person in the world. Was thinking about it the other day and how he's even more humble than your average person. Most other people in his position would surely take some of the associated glory/fame/respect etc that he could. But he does everything possible to lead a completely average life. Whilst being one of the best players in the world at the same time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v496/NickOGS20/Footba...w&current=haw014.jpg

hahaha what a flattering picture of bbb. also, james is quite CLEARLY the co-creator of viz, simon donald. thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

absolutely fugly icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived