The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

But his point was that the young players you're talking about won't be the first team regulars now. So we're (hopefully) building a team that will have 2/3 years more of playing together and developing. There's also the question of how likely good youth players are to get a chance.

I'm not saying i agree that United's way will work better, incidentally, just that i think he has a point in terms of assessing the methods being used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

Wait a min, the shirt is going to be unveiled during the tour of South Africa. Therefore, all the players will be away, and the rest will be on post world cup holidays, so therefore, it has to be new signings modeling it, as there will be nobody else left \0/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that means Fergie will be in SA too?

Ideal lineups from that squad?

From what people have said about our youngsters I'd probably be tempted to try this team out...

------------ Foster ------------

Simpson ------------------- Evra

------- Evans ---- Brown -------

----- Fletcher --- Scholes -----

Eagles ------------------- Jones

---- Solskjaer ---- Rossi ------

Backups:

GK - Steele, DF - Bardsley / O'Shea, MF - Richardson / Miller / Giggs, FW - Dong

I'd also like to see them try out a reorganised midfield like Italy/Argentina's 4312 by dropping Eagles from that and putting Miller in alongside Fletcher and Jones with Scholesy sitting behind Ole and Beppe. Could work based on the full-backs having reputations for being pacey and getting forward well.

Gregg says:

We've had great goalscorers before him, we'll have great goalscorers after him

Gregg says:

We were better without him last year anyway

why not say that bit then in the post eh Gregg?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

I know you're not blaming the Glazers for everything, but if you are blaming them a bit then you could even go back to who ever it was who made you a PLC. Glazers were just making the most of a situation, not their fault that you were liable to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that effectively saying that we shouldn't blame the debt on the people that put us in debt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That has confused me for the time being, so I'll reply tomorrow.

night night.

• 2 weeks later...

Half-time, 1-0 to Preston. Poor stuff from us really, we can barely string a few passes together and there's no cohesion at all. Rossi and Ole can't get in the game, no service for them whatsoever and Rossi's getting frustrated. We're not making enough use of Martin and Richardson out wide and as a result the central area is getting clogged up and it's all very scrappy really. Gibson's done alright, Miller's looked tidy enough in possession but he's meant to be the creative element of that central midfield and he's been shocking in that department.

Defensively we've done alright - a bit naive at times, understandably so considering their inexperience. McShane's done well in the air against Dichio, Nugent's been kept pretty quiet by Evans. Danny Simpson is struggling a bit at left-back, out of position and it's showing.

Not really sure what can be changed for the second half, we've little in the way of attacking options on the bench :/. I'd get Fletch on for Miller, try and get the wingers into the game more and in doing so create some space in the middle for Rossi to drop into or Fletch to push forward into.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

What else do you expect from the Sun though? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno. That one day people in this country will wise up and stop buying it in their droves, but then I've always been partial to a bit of wishful thinking.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

John O'Shea FREE when you buy this pink 3 piece suite </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gahahahahahaha icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"Fergie's Fledglings" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were the lot that broke through before the class of 92 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So which term have I absent-mindedly failed to use to describe Becks, Scholes, Butt, the Nevs & to a lesser extent Giggs?

I could have sworn that it was the class of 92 that were referred to as the "Fledglings" since it was they who prompted Alan Hansen's "You don't win anything with kids" comment. Other than that I can only recall the “Busby Babes†being used in such a context.

Well if I’m wrong I’m wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Jonny never having a lift back again, took ages to get home icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stop whining you got home in one piece

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

And wasn't it O'Shea who missed against City? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah you're right. Rio missed against someone else, they compared it on the DVD.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that's how I remembered it icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 29-year-old has not started a league game since September and was not even on the bench for the weekend SuperSunday clash with Chelsea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you know your time's up when you're not one of the four defenders playing or three defenders sitting on the bench tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

didnt ruud score 2 last time we beat them though? or was that the time before last? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In cup I think Scholes scored two if im not mistaken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">U18s cup tie moved

United Under-18s' FA Youth Cup third round tie with S****horpe has been moved.

The match, originally scheduled for this Thursday night at Old Trafford, has been moved to Saturday 16 December.

The tie will kick off at 14:00 GMT and will be played at Hyde United's Ewen Fields stadium. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bugger icon_frown.gif

will probably still go tbf

• 2 weeks later...

UNITED

Reading H - 3

Newcastle A - 3

Villa H - 3

Arsenal A - 0

Watford H - 3

Spurs A - 3

Charlton H - 3

Fulham A - 3

Liverpool A - 0

Bolton H - 3

Blackburn H - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Sheffield Utd H - 3

Chelsea A - 0

Boro H - 3

Everton A - 3

City A - 3

West Ham H - 3

Total 43 (50) - 93

CHELSEA

Fulham H - 3

Villa A - 3

Wigan H - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Charlton A - 3

Boro H - 3

Man City A - 3

Portsmouth A - 3

Shef U H - 3

Watford A - 3

Spurs H - 3

West Ham A - 3

Man Utd H - 3

Newcastle A - 3

Bolton H - 1

Arsenal A - 0

Everton H - 3

Total 47 (46) - 93

We win on goal difference.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

FACIFBYB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs. 1990 was fantastic, made me develop a soft spot for the fa cup that i doubt i'll ever lose. only being at the two losing finals out of seven in my 'lifetime' has tested my love for it though icon_mad.gif

re: something that was said earlier - would take a carling cup win for us over a world cup for england anyday, although that says more about my antipathy towards england that any great love for the carling cup.

and larsson definitely worth the £1.2m if it comes to that, stay henke :*)

seba icon_cool.gif

the british press appear absolutely convinced that heinze's contract is up in the summer btw. fup knows why...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I think I might cry if Mascherano goes to Liverpool.

Although I don't get their resoning for pursuing him anyway, as surely he'd be in direct competion with omfgMOMOifb\o/\o/, and he's never coming out on top in that match up. Not against the greatest player in the world today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benitez in questionable squad building move shocker!

As much as I love the Masch, & I really do think he has the ability to fit in given the chance and the right circumstances, I still don't want the MSI baggage that comes with him (or Tevez), so unless we can buy him outright signing him wouldn't be the right move for us.

I'm also loath to say it but I think that if there was a European school of football he would excell in it would be the Italian game due to the more controlled pace. He could get used to the more dynamic style of the EPL given time, but since we've invested so much in Carrick as a composed second to Scholesy right now and our future deep-lying playmaker, we do probably require someone with a more visible higher energy reserve than Mascherano if we can't replace Paul Scholes with a younger Paul Scholes, and if that doesn't mean letting Fletcher off the loose and keeping him as a squad player then it does mean getting in a Hargreaves-esq player if not the man himself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JM is not just a holding midfielder though. he plays there for argentina to bring balance to the side and because he is better in that position than the alternatives. at all of his clubs so far though he has been a genuine box to box midfielder of the quality that we are absolutely screaming out for...

• 2 weeks later...

Like I care what Big Phil thinks, tell you something, this Ronaldo stuff is FANTASTIC, christ, the way people were talking he'd taken a MONSTER dive which he didn't, either way, today is a fantastic day.

Vidic icon_cool.gif (L)

Evra icon_cool.gif

all our defence ifb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Take a weeks holiday before starting the new job and my sleep pattern is fecked. Sleep all day and up all night.

Anyway Rossi is said to be starting the U21 game tomorrow against England. Kicks off at 12.30pm for anyone interested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What channel will it be on if any? Would be good to see how he does, heard he's been playing well in Italy at the minute.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

If you exclude qualifiers, we've only scored two in the away leg of knockout european game 3 times since we won the cup winers cup in '91, and only once this decade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a quick quiz, who can name the three opponents and the years?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What the hell

Schmeichel [Den]

G. Neville [eng]

Heinze [arg]

Stam [ Hol]

Vidic [serb]

Giggs [Wal]

Ronaldo [port]

Keane [ire]

Best [NI[