The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Isn't describing someone as a box-to-box defensive midfielder bordering on an oxymoron?

In his early days Keane scored bags of goals, he was all over the pitch. I still doubt this Sahin is anything like that, mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I suppose there is a case to be made for that ali.

However, I think when one considers b2bmfs, as much as the get up and down the pitch (and at times chip in with their fair share of goals) they are primarily doing so in order to accomplish the physical and defensive grunt work the team needs to control a game from the middle of the park.

Just because they're not sitting 10-15yards infront of the back-four like a dedicated DM in a more controlled manner and doing less running overall doesn't mean they're doing less defensive work. Guess thats just how I've considered it though.

And yes this Nuri Sahin is just the latest in a long line of nothing links, I was only interested in how he had been defined. I don't think resting our hopes on another teenager is the way to go right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rage1999:

it is a lie,

one stupid fat **** on redissue spouts a load of **** and everyone believes him.

pathetic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

calm down, calm down (with accompanying hand gestures)

• 4 weeks later...

you know i think Mickey is one of the best attacking left backs in the world. he can put in some great crosses, he can play the killer passes, and he has won us games from that

position attacking wise.lost afew as well tbf

but as aCB we lose so much of what he has to offer, and in that position he can only lose us games cos he lacks the 100% concentration needed .

i know many of you will jump at me and say that gabby is better and yes defensively he is but he can't win us games attacking wise like selvestre can

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm not quite sure what people expect. There are few if any players in the world who could be called complete midfield players, able to play as attacking, all-rounder and defensive midfielder. Yet everyone who's against Hargreaves seems to be talking about what he can't do.

how much are you willing to pay for him ?

Focus on what he is, which is an excellent destructive midfielder, who is a decent passer of the ball and more importantly doesn't think he's Beckham, who knows he can't really do Hollywood passes. In other words, he's pretty much what we need to complement the rest of our midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Nice to see Rossi being given a higher number, 42 looked so out of place in pre-season icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

42 may have gained cult status though. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah if he'd actually scored in pre-season icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

We have just over 60+ hours till the transfer windows, IF he doesn't sign, then we've spent £4m this summer, so much for "omgz there is no such thing as a budget" we've watched Arsenal/Liverpool strengthen.

David Gill, 15th January 2006:

"We will also be making one or two very big signings in the summer.

"The players we want are playing in the Champions League so we will have to wait."

Who are they David? Carrick? Kooshack? afaik, they don't have Champions League experience, funny thing is, the ***** will think "ah well, we tried" and we're stuck with ****ing O'Shea in midfield when Carrick/Scholes get injured

hoo-****ing-ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why you don't ever get your hopes up about United in respect of transfers or results.

So it's your own fault icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, so true icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kris Boyd ifb though. Clearly not United-fb yet, but still </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all just stemming from comments Le Guen has made about him not being happy with Boyd's overall contribution and wants more than just goals from him. He got a new contract last month ffs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

Has the round-up been posted yet? cba to search through all the waffle of the last twenty pages. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

Non-greedy heterosexual Ashley Cole in today's Times:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">IT STILL sticks in my throat that we lost our 49-match unbeaten run to Manchester United the season before. You don’t mind losing if it’s fair and square, but that October match was anything but, in my view. It was a joke. Alex Ferguson seemed to have resorted to tactics straight from the Hackney Marshes and tackle after tackle went flying in.

We’d had the “Battle of Old Trafford†in the 1990-91 season. This was about to turn into the sequel: the “Battle of the Pizzaâ€. Or “Battle of the Buffetâ€, as the media described it.

It started to kick off before we’d even left the pitch. Thierry [Henry] was berating their keeper, Roy Carroll. He had been taking the **** out of his French accent throughout the match — rolling his tongue and speaking deliberate jibberish — and Thierry’s patience, aggravated by the injustice we’d all suffered, snapped.

By the time we were walking down that extendable plastic tunnel, everyone was having a go at each other. There were shouts of “you f***ing cheats!†and players were running into a jostling huddle where the narrow tunnel opens into a wider mouth with the dressing-rooms on the right.

I was jammed in the middle, Arsenal in front of me, Arsenal behind. I heard the boss hammering Ferguson; incandescent French verbally sparring with bullish Scottish.

They started arguing and we started yelling in support of our manager and their players started yelling in support of their manager. The more we shouted, the more threatening it became. The lads at the front were eyeball to eyeball when one of the United security [personnel] lashed out and smacked our travel manager, Paul Johnson, on the nose. Then it kicked off, turning into a mass wrestling bout.

I looked up and saw Ferguson, swamped by his players, being pushed further and further away from the front, but still jostling and yelling, his face beetroot red.

Then it happened. This slice of pizza came flying over my head and hit Fergie straight in the mush. The slap echoed down that tunnel and everything stopped — the fighting, the yelling, everything. It was as if all movement and sound stopped in that instant as all eyes turned and all mouths gawped to see this pizza slip off that famous, puce face and roll down his nice black suit.

Ferguson was steaming. I thought he was going to explode, but then he stormed off into the dressing-room, cursing and grunting, brushing the crumbs and stains off his collar. That pizza took the sting out of the situation and both sides knew it had gone too far.

We all went back into the dressing-room and fell about laughing. I was lying on the treatment bed, holding ice on to my swollen knee, but doubled up with laughter. We may have lost 2-0, and our unbeaten run was at an end, but the sound of hooting laughter filled our dressing-room for a few minutes. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen: to see this guy, a legend in the game, splatted like that. I almost wet myself, as did the rest of the Arsenal team.

Arsène Wenger’s serious frown even struggled to maintain its composure while the United boys did their best not to laugh. The missile had come from the food tray in our dressing-room. I’ve got a fair idea who launched it, and his aim with a pizza is just as good as his skills with a ball, but I’m no grass and won’t name names. All I’ll say is that the culprit wasn’t English or French, so that should narrow it down.

What made me laugh was that my name was in the frame, even though I was stuck in the middle of the action. So, for the record, despite what the papers reported, it wasn’t me. Not guilty to the pizza charge.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...

i'll stress i'm not on the carrick hate wagon AT ALL. but i'm still not entirely happy (for want of a better phrase) with his performances to date. tonight probably his best game for us, yet he still gave the ball away quite a lot.

more a concern over the consistency of his passing than anything really. he's putting himself about, working hard, all that jazz. just giving the ball away at silly times really. did play some really nice passes as well though tbf.

re: saha 1 on 1's. i thought the same thing as well. he's missed an awful lot of them so far already this season. he tends to miss sitters and score the more difficult ones atm...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No 3% administration fee on tickets purchased for cup games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eddie Barnett tax \o/

I hate administration fees so much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-NO-ONE sang (in west lower) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

me and the tubby bloke on the row behind tried icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-our obsession with liverpool is getting ever so slightly cringeworthy. no-one cares about steven gerrard when we are playing portsmouth, its petty and smalltime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed. been like that for a few seasons now, sadly. only songs some of the ****wits seem bothered about learning are anti-scouse :/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, night games afffffffffffffb icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They really are.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mudweiser:

It wasn't too nice 99-03, but since then it's all gone quite quiet icon_cool.gif

Although the lass is a season ticket holder, so I've gone from hating them to having a bit of a soft spot for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just you wait til they eventually get back in the Prem, the hate will flood back icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha, well, their 'success' was timed with High School and College, when I saw loads every day and, as Newcastle weren't too good, I got a bit of stick. Then we started battling for the CL place and it was real banter.

I've lost contact with a few of them since, as you do. But, as I said, the lass is a season ticket holder, as is one of my good friends, so it could come back. I ALWAYS want Leeds in the cups, at Elland Road. Saw Newcastle win and win well so many times, sat in the home ends biting my lips icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Great to have Rene back.

And can anyone see us selling Rossi without giving him a chance? hes the most talented forward we have had in the youth ranks since Sparky.

Not to mention Rossi can play the withdrawn role that Rooney plays for us. We are intent on playing that and have been for years so why would we sell our only other forward capable of playing there?

Ole is 33 and Smith yet to make a come back from a badly broken leg.

Everyone at old Trafford has raved about him and he has impressed all in his 12 appearences and 4 goals for the club. To sell him would be utter stupidity and just look at Scholes, he hadnt broken through at 19.

And to whoever said Rossi has looked good some games and crap others i assume you mean newcastle because i dont recall him every looking crap for us.

At newcastle he made what, 5 starts? 3 on the left wing and the other games were all few minute cameos. Those are hardly conditions for a young kid to excel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree to disagree then...I remember a couple of games for you where we was at best average - bit OTT to say he impressed in all of his appearances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Lille president Michel Seydoux believes Giggs' matchwinner would not have been allowed to stand if United had conceded it.

And he claims he will be speaking to newly elected UEFA supremo Michel Platini about the incident.

'I will call Michel Platini, who says he defends the beautiful game and the little teams,' he said. 'We have developed a beautiful game and we are a little team.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jeez, what a whiney twat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Tuesday May 8th is rumoured atm for that game because quite frankly Chelsea have no other date to play it, given the FA refuse to extend the season beyond the 13th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that mean you're also playing on the Thursday?

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to add, thought Fletcher had a decent enough game.

Richardson though, is utterly abysmal, and surely there is someone better in the reserves that Fergie could give a chance too now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> According to Diario de Noticias, Sporting and Man Utd. were in hiding last night negotiating a transfer fee for Nani. Chances are it will carry on for another day and thru the night but it can very well get done in the next few hours. Even though Sporting is adamant in the $20 million Euros fee, I think they'll be happy with around 18 million.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juni informs me that the source is reliable

linkage in portugese

The day Cantona left was just so surreal and it didnt really sink in until the first game afterwards.

But for me it was Kanchelskis, easily our best player in the 04/05 season (and my favourite player at the time) , jut gutted (partly due to the fact I had spent about £10 to have his name & number on the back of my shirt about 3 months ago.).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I am actually curious as to what I say that actually offends you?

I mean I don't even call you fat, I call you tubby.

You do realise I am going to turn up first game next season with a sorry card & a bunch of flowers don't you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tubby bitch iirc? Yeah it's that. seriously, stop it.

as soon as I move I'm going on a health food kick and will be cooking for myself, already started as tonight I tuck in to Cream of Mushroom soup :*)

Archived