The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

icon_biggrin.gif

Please don't tell me you didn't see this coming. The time is ideal now for a new broom to come in, surely? If nothing else it'd generate a bit of excitement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean a change of manager? I might be the most 'Fergie out' person in the thread, but I think now might actually be the worst possible time to get rid.

Or maybe I'm just resigned to the fact that we're stuck with him for the next 2 seasons. I can't be certain anymore.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Punished AC Milan insist 'No-one will leave'

AC Milan are adamant there will be no big-name departures this summer despite their absence from next season's Champions League.

Milan were docked 44 points from their 2005/06 tally for their part in the Italian match-fixing scandal, meaning they will miss out on European football's premier club competition when the new campaign resumes.

They will also start the 2006/07 season in Serie A with a 15-point deficit.

Despite the loss of income generated by the Champions League, Milan insist they do not need to balance the books by selling their more valuable players.

'No-one will leave,' said a statement on the club's official website.

Milan did sell Andriy Shevchenko to Chelsea earlier this summer as the Ukrainian was eager to join the Premiership champions.

However, the club has reiterated he is an exception to the rule.

'After Shevchenko there will be no others,' continued the statement.

'Milan wants to make it clear, to everyone and with the utmost respect and seriousness, that contracts will be respected.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Is it me or does a day not go by when Fletcher doesnt have something to say? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone has to do the interview icon_biggrin.gif

United arnt sponsored by Jaffa cakes, I know someone who actually wrote to McVities to find out as he loves them just after the takeover icon_biggrin.gif

Got a text off someone at the game who said behind the goal, with the anti-Glazer banner there may of been a bit of trouble with police and stewards, anyone see that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i offered that bet a few pages ago. no takers icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I felt the cost of the flight made it a less than attractive proposition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

You'll love this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rash Rooney sees red again

Louise Taylor in Amsterdam

Saturday August 5, 2006

The Guardian

It seems that Wayne Rooney and Portuguese opponents do not mix. Less than 36 hours after reportedly informing Steve McClaren that he intended to keep his temper, England's enfant terrible self- destructed again and was sent off last night in Manchester United's 3-1 victory over Porto in the Amsterdam tournament.

Apologists for the Manchester United forward - and they include Sir Alex Ferguson - may claim his foul on Pepe was unintentional but, if so, Rooney is becoming ridiculously accident-prone. Ruud Bossen, the referee, certainly saw things differently and showed him a straight red card after he pushed the Porto defender in the face during an aerial challenge midway through the first half.

Granted, many officials might have afforded Rooney the benefit of the doubt and Pepe, who had collapsed in a heap clutching his face, leapt up unscathed once the card was flourished, but the case for the defence was somewhat undermined because Rooney - who had earlier shown an amalgam of discipline and delicacy to score United's second goal - did not seem to be looking at the ball at the time of the offence. Moreover it is difficult to criticise the referee when Rooney's hand clearly connected with Pepe's face.

Co Adriaanse, Porto's manager, said wryly, "The referee was very close to the incident," but Ferguson demurred. "Rooney's sending-off was unfair; Wayne was surprised," insisted United's manager. "The player involved made an issue of it which is something which is becoming endemic in football." Asked if Rooney's reputation was now preceding him, he acknowledged: "It's becoming a real concern."

Michael Carrick duly found his United debut eclipsed and Ferguson's mood was hardly improved when Paul Scholes also saw a straight red in the second half for a horribly late tackle from behind on Ricardo Quaresma. Like Rooney, Scholes will face a three-game domestic ban if the Dutch FA passes the referee's report on to its English counterpart and Ferguson admitted: "Suspensions are a real worry."

When McClaren met Rooney at United's training ground on Thursday morning England's new head coach emphasised that such indiscretions must be consigned to the past. Ironically, Rooney had begun with his self-destructive urges apparently well suppressed, instead using controlled aggression to dispossess a startled Jose Bosingwa before the most subtle of touches enabled him to dink the ball over Helton, the Porto keeper.

Before then Carrick had at least enjoyed a brief moment in the sun to set up the opener. His decision to pass a corner to the feet of the onrushing Scholes left Helton thoroughly bemused as he was beaten by the latter's shot. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer deservedly scored a third for Ferguson's nine-man ensemble, squeezing a beautifully weighted shot home from the tightest of angles.

Pepe subsequently registered an even better, longer range, strike, his rising shot arcing into the top corner, but it appeared a mere footnote to the latest turmoil in Wayne's world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just e-mailed this to the guardian in reply icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The heading of the report says 'Louise Taylor in Amsterdam'. Perhaps next time she's going to be doing a match report, she could go the extra mile and actually enter the stadium so she can see the game, rather than simply making it to the right city? Could someone from the sports desk please show her this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVcnBY0j8xs

And ask her again at which point Rooney wasn't looking at the ball, as she claims? Anyone with half an eye could see it was an accident, and sensationalist comments like 'England's enfant terrible self- destructed again' are more suited to the red tops than supposedly more thoughtful papers such as yourselves (apart from the 'enfant terrible' bit obviously, we wouldn't want to confuse the poor sun readers). As for 'Moreover it is difficult to criticise the referee when Rooney's hand clearly connected with Pepe's face.', that just defies belief. FIFA were very careful to clear up any confusion on this point before the world cup, where their guidelines implicitly stated that reckless use of the arm (which would be the most you could argue in this case, and would be harsh) would result in a yellow card, while a red card would be shown for an arm thrown with intent. So trying to cite simply contact as the justification for a red card is nonsense.

Mark Gillespie

Manchester. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one. I read the "report" and was going to form a similar letter. Was hoping the paper would have a picture of rooney with his eyes on the ball for ultimate hypocrisy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

is Mikael Silvestre playing at CB ???

tell me no lie if you have to

he is aleft back not acanter back

damn icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a canter back? quite apt for Mickey tbf

Half-time, 0-0, very little by way of goalmouth action really. Couple of fairly comfy saves for VDS, the Sevilla keeper hasn't been tested at all although we probably came closest to scoring through Park.

Park's been ace, as has Wes. Giggs has been pretty good in patches too. No-one else really standing out at all - Scholesy quiet, Saha isolated, Ronaldo looking a bit lost, O'Shea lardy and Mickey just clownshoes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

For all that Taz always liked to compare Fletcher to how Scholes and Beckham were at 22, he's better than Carrick was at that age. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But then that brings questions like "is Carrick good enough for Man Utd if we want to be what we once were?".

Plus i have never been a fan of Michael Carrick either and am waiting to see how he does for us.

Although you are right in saying Scholes and Beckham were two world class players and i think 99% of us would agree that is something Fletcher will never be so to compare the three is unfair.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

One thing we all seem to think is that we are signing someone. Except Mika the doomlord. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just made a slight correction icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And thats after Fletch playing one through ball that opened up the Spurs defence for Saha to miss and not a lot else before the final whistle went </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbh, that's all I saw him do. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

C'mon Carrick did alright, was tidy in possession, always seemed to want the ball and was a good outlet for the defence plenty of times. Its the fact that he promises invention from deep and the ability to produce it consistently when he gets used to playing with the rest of the team. Let him get some game time before writing him off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

It's awesome how nearly all United fans were saying 'give him a month or two' & he has proved us right.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think he has yet, far too early to say that. Not saying that he won't but you can't judge him completely yet.

I still think that Carrick has to up his game further to prove the doubters wrong, which he may well do, but still. Here's hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

can't believe Benfica has sold out /O\

my unbroken run of CL games since 2001 is under serious threat icon_frown.gif

btw lads, any views on who was at fault for Chelsea's goal today? apparently Andy Gray blamed Gaby. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can have James' ticket.

there is a match thread. started by a boro fan ofc, none of this going against protocol lark for us.

just go to the pub on your tod, worst that happens is you watch the game without any distractions. if you've any social skills i'm sure you can get some conversation going. personally i'd rather just concentrate on the match so wouldn't really care.

count yourself lucky - i'm going to miss half the game i think. going to a gig in blackburn tonight, plan was to get over to the land that time forgot before kick-off and then watch it all in a pub before the gig, but my daft mare of a gf forgot to book the day off work so we'll be on the train at some point during the match icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ronaldo: I've learned my lesson

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he has been guilty of going to the floor too easily in the past but is adamant he has now learned his lesson.

Ronaldo admits the mentality in England is different to the one he was used to on the continent with Sporting Lisbon.

The Portuguese wide man claims the leniency of English referees concerning robust challenges - a point also stressed by team-mate Wayne Rooney - has encouraged simulation.

But, despite claiming to have been on the receiving end of some rough treatment in the Premiership, Ronaldo is determined not to let it affect his game.

"I remember in the first year at United, I was criticised a lot for going to the floor too easily. That was an area of my game where I had to change quite fast," Ronaldo told the Daily Express.

"It was perhaps the biggest lesson I've learned in England. It's a different type of game in Portugal, but the rules should be the same everywhere.

"If it's a free-kick, the referee should give a free-kick. But here, referees choose to ignore fouls a lot of the time.

"The football is different here, with a different mentality and it's not just the players who have grown up with it, but the referees too.

"But I'm not going to stop trying to beat defenders in England. I don't think I should change. I have to be myself.

"Just because the referee doesn't give a free-kick or chooses not to send off someone who deserves it, doesn't mean I should become another player."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

christ, £3.5m for Dong? Always thought it was more along the lines of £1m or so for some reason. So does he actually have a chance of doing something for us then? Sounds like he's come a long way from those god-awful reviews of him when he first went to Antwerp anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

hey guys I need to know where I can get a 60s United shirt from like this with a number 7 on if possible, and shorts too. Anyone know any websites? I don't want to spend much, or are there any places in Manchester? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a shop in Affleck's Palace in town that sells old football shirts. Not sure how far back they go though.

Was 2 years ago last time I went in there so it's a long shot icon_biggrin.gif

if you're at your near post you don't dive towards the ball like that, it leaves far too much of the goal open. you dive across the line and hope the shot goes along the ground. every time. it's the way you increase the likelihood of you saving the shot.

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

want them in the conference or lower and bankrupt, gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

We're currently discussing it on MSN eddie.

we have both you and Jim to protect us \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Day trip for me, whatever that entails. Sounds like a long day to me, but . . . Hopefully I'll learn more from the branch soon.

Protect ? You damn wimps. icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

What is Uniteds point record and what is the league record? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uniteds point record is 92 i believe.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

video clip would be awesome icon_smile.gif

ouch ali </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind of phone have you got?? I've got the clip for a Sony Ericsson but should be able to convert to Nokia as well.

Anelka basically the identikit striker we've all been talking about, or as near as we'll probably get without Saha becoming indestructible. pace, presence, great finisher, adapted to (and proven in) the Prem. his supposedly dodgy attitude doesn't seem to have been an issue for a while either.

if we can't get Hunty or Berbatov, wouldn't be at all disappointed if we tried to get him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

So what's happening with you lot and Nani? Are you still interested or anything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read that Tottenham had agreed a meeting with the club officials which puts them in pole position

• 2 weeks later...

Archived