The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

How did you guess?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif I DON'T know what gave it AWAY. It was either the SUPERB writing or the LARGE amount of quotes it had. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair to Bardsley he got an extended run whilst G Nev was injured and looked solid if nothing else.

Unfortunately for him day G Nev is still G Nev at the end of the day and regardless of how well he did Bardsley doesn't look as though he could develop into one of the worlds best right backs, and ultimately thats who he's trying to usurp.

Also, if all of our defenders were fit at the minute bar G Nev I'd still rather play Wes at RB given our relative strength in the CB position rather than Bardsley at RB.

Because of this, if we don't sell Silvestre (still the most likely candidate) then Bardsley, Simpson and Pique should all be out on loan next season really so long as Bardsley in particular has a recall option to cover any right-sided defensive injury crisis. Bardsley in particular because he's most likely to be loaned domestically, and given the apparent promise of the other two being more than his own its not going to be as disruptive if the other two are out on loan and playing regularly. In addition he's already played a number of senior games for us and it means he's pretty much a no-cost risk in the Prem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Come on good news. I could do with some just before my birthday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best news you could possibly hear is that your mum and dad were not related.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CRISTIANO RONALDO will stay at Manchester United — after a heart-to-heart with his MUM.

Maria Dolores persuaded her boy to remain at Old Trafford during a massive family dinner on Friday.

He had seemed set to quit English football after his World Cup bust-up with United team-mate Wayne Rooney.

Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid looked ready to offer him an escape route out of Old Trafford.

But last night Maria, 46, revealed: “He will be at Manchester with all the players on the first day of training. He has a contract and he is going to honour it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">18 games? How rubbish. Absolutely no point keeping anyone with any kind of potential at the club now, because that's not enough of a season to aid anyone's development. Loans galore methinks, which I'm sure suits the Glazers down to the ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said earlier, it not down to us, its the way the reserves league has been reorganised - last year there was 15 teams, now there is only 10 teams (Leeds, the Midlands teams, and Sunderland have been removed from the Premier League Reserves North)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

My first favourite player was the mighty Neil Webb icon_cool.gif He scored in the first game I watched and could do no wrong in my eyes...

My Dad has narcolepsy, the disease where you randomly fall asleep. That's pretty much the most interesting thing about him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

60,000 fans inside Old Trafford will be suffering from that this season icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what? Thinking Neil Webb's the best United midfielder?

Probably... icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Van Lampard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">£10.2m for Ruud.

Didn't SAF say they rejected £10.3 for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Francis Cole I dont think you know the extent of the money, its 10.2 mill over 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!! thats rubbish we dont even get all the money now! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same thing, makes no difference in reality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

haha including welshmen, scousers and geordies as "homegrown" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry.. i must have missed the year when Newcastle, Wales and Liverpool were declared independant from the British Isles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Ole - 10

Cantona - 9

Kanchelskis - 8

Keane - 7

Scholes - 6

Neville - 5

Ruud - 4

Giggs - 3

Sharpe - 2

Blomqvist - 1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

When he's not there, he's level with the rest of the midfield, leaving space for the opponents attacking midfielder to run into behind him. Watch the home game against Arsenal last season as the case in point. Cesc runs the game for the first 20 minutes, getting between O'Shea and the defence at will. Once he realises (or is more likely told) what the problem is, the attacking flow is stopped. But he's never learnt that for himself, and given how many games he's had there now i don't think he will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still got that game on tape, might dig it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Umney:

But surely someone will be coming in if Rossi and Ole both go </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah I forgot icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

If its a choice between club and country then arsenal will always win but when england play i support.

anyway we have no more england players in the team so i am fine icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeo. We have the second most important one for the future of English football tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theo and crouch eh icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hoyte tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if youre saying hoyte then im saying bardsley. bardsley > hoyte IMO.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Not really. We don't take the competition particularly seriously. It comes a very definite 4th in our priority list. It doesn't provide anything like the memories of depth of emotions that the other tournaments do. But beggars can't be choosers and it provides a quick release and potential for short term fun.

If the League Cup was a girl it’d send you 8 texts the next morning…wouldn’t it Johnny? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah laugh it up icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

tbf the guy is 15, he's hardly likely to be schooled in the extent of the financial situation under the glazers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can’t say that age is a valid excuse really gonch. Regardless of years it’s about having the intellectual capacity to understand the situation.

Obviously don’t castrate the boy for being somewhat ignorant, there’s a good chance he hasn’t been fully exposed to the potential/impending severity of the situation if a number of factors come together to screw us over, but anyone who’s been informed about the situation can see it for what it is and that is negative for the football club.

But provided with the facts and not just anti-Glazer rhetoric he should be able to make up his own mind. If he’s still content with the Glazer’s being in control after being furnished with this information he’ll be, well there’s no easy way to put it, wrong, and he’ll get short shrift in here if he espouses pro-Glazer views on the business side. But if he comes in here and doesn’t pull a [insert random ****] and talk rubbish about the football side of things I don’t care what he does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs pretty much my view on the subject at hand.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

United fans should have to pass a test before they are allowed to become one united members. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Along the lines of what exactly?

Q. Are you ignorant enough to believe that joining up to this hugely oversubscribed membership scheme will enable you to actually get your hands on any tickets?

A. Yes

Well done, you're in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Adu warned against moving to Manchester

Andrew Downie in Belo Horizonte

Tuesday November 28, 2006

The Guardian

The United States-based coach who helped Freddy Adu become one of the hottest prospects in world football has warned him to avoid Manchester United and look for a team in the Netherlands. Adu is on trial with Sir Alex Ferguson's team but his coach at DC United said he had gone there on bad advice and told the Ghana-born 17-year-old that the Premiership would overwhelm him.

"He's a young kid and he needs matches," said Peter Nowak, the former Poland captain who has been Adu's manager since he signed for the Washington club as a 14-year-old sensation in November 2003. "I think he should go to PSV or Ajax or somewhere they have a tradition of raising young players. At a place like Ajax the young kids come through together and they grow up together; the team is shaped around them. In the biggest environment at the club with the biggest budget it will be hard for them to wait for him to develop. I still feel he needs the minutes and the experience."

Adu joined DC United amid a huge fanfare that included a mega-contract from Nike. He became the youngest man ever to play for a US sports franchise when he made his debut for the club in April 2004. He has played 87 times for DC United and was an ever present this year, with two goals and eight assists in 32 appearances.

However, the DC United staff who have been with him since he signed said the experience of Carlos Tevez at West Ham United showed that players from slower, more technical environments are often unprepared for Europe's most robust league. "Just look at how Tevez has struggled," said Dave Kasper, DC United's technical director. "Does Freddy want to have to go to Watford on a rainy Wednesday where he'll have 6ft 4in goons on his back all night? The Dutch league is a very technical league and he will be better suited for that at his age."

Kasper and Nowak also cast doubts on Adu's mental and physical readiness for a team as big as United. Not only is he just 17, he is physically slight and, they maintain, susceptible to poor advice.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nowak and Kasper bang on. icon14.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From the Sunday Mirror:

MANCHESTER United have won the battle to sign Southampton's highly rated teenage star Gareth Bale.

The 17-year-old full-back will not be leaving the Championship side in this transfer window, after United agreed to pay £8m in the summer and loan him back to the club next season.

Saints were forced to do business after Bale refused to sign a new contract at the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp wenger

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> on a possible appeal against the sending off...

"Usually appeals don't work when the referee has seen it so we could even get one game more! We don't want to take that chance." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Afaic, it looks better. I will not change. icon_razz.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't the fact that it's utterly wrong matter? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto Fletch love ? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

That is why we'll lose at Stamford Bridge and Anfield to kill the title race off as well, so obvious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will NOT lose at ANfield, SB aye but not Anfield.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bookmarked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we lose Ben gets a battering if he ever turns up to one of our footie kick arounds

Book mark that icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Ruud scored a couple of penalties that day didn't he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, the first after 4 minutes and the other with 10 minutes to go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Emersonlfc:

Hopefully Vds and Rio play like that on Saturday icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

VDS was class. wp moron

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

So, Ronnie available for tomorrow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i reckon he will be. just scaremongering over a slight knock, as there will be for the rest of the season now with any remotely key player.

talk is that we'll have vds, fletch, ole and louis back tomorrow as well, or if not for tomorrow then in the next week \O/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am pretty sure Fletch is not "on" for tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

tbh I found the fact that we completely failed to turn up makes it harder to take going out.

personally I just think that had we played to what we're capable off we could have at least given Milan a game by scoring. however most players just appeared to take the evening off which just makes it harder to take.

• 2 weeks later...

From the sunday mirror

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

AFTER FERGIE & CO WIN A NINTH PREMIERSHIP TITLE, RIVALS CITY BRAG ABOUT BEATING UNITED IN THE MANCHESTER SENIOR CUP FINAL!

(And, yes, it's massive in the blue half of Manchester)

Edited By David James 13/05/2007

MANCHESTER CITY have always been kings of comedy, but the way the club's website heralded their latest trophy success had Manchester United fans wondering whether there's a Red working in the Blue camp.

During a week when Sir Alex Ferguson's men were celebrating a 1-0 win over their rivals at Eastlands which set up their ninth Premiership title, City's claim to revenge came when their reserves triumphed 3-1 over United's second string in the final of the Manchester Senior Cup at Old Trafford.

Hardly a trophy with which any club would claim to have ended 31 years of hurt.

Yet the City website proclaimed: "Following Tuesday night's thrilling 3-1 victory over Manchester United in the final of the Manchester Senior Cup at Old Trafford, the City Experience (museum and tour) has updated its trophy cabinet and now forms part of the Experience's display."

And City wonder why United fans nickname them "The Massives". The Mole understands a decision on an open-top bus parade has yet to be made.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived