The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

I can only assume West Ham are in there because the West Ham researcher has put us as one of their rivals (they always seem to have been particularly ABU) and the United researcher has bizarrely returned the favour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not so sure. There was a lot of West Ham hate in the old thread as they got towards the cup final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't like them, but not really for rivalry reasons. I get the feeling I'd dislike them no matter who I supported icon_biggrin.gif

I dunno, is there serious beef with them about ruining our title chances in '92 or '95? Ince-related stuff mebbe. I don't see it.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

i hear nickys butt's available icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im sure we could lure Paul Ince back for a season as well icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

both good ideas, how about Djemba djemba, I think hed come back aswell

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

Gabi kicking off with the Germans icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And a few Argies aswell. Gave one of the backroom staff a right rollicking icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

So Ribery's apparently in talks with Spurs at the moment :/

Ah, don't you love that feeling, the rush of another top class target slipping through our fingers icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only seen him at the world cup, and i'm well aware of the dangers of having that as your sole guide to a player, but he didn't overly impress me in Germany.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

This one

Was in use from 1997 up until the final in 1999. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't we use it in 99/00 as well?

probably bs but from the BBC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There could be a new loanee from Manchester United on the way to Elland Road, with midfielder/forward Giuseppe Rossi strongly linked with a move to the club. The Italian under 21 has made 14 senior appearances for the Premiership club and would be the second United loanee to arrive at Leeds under manager Kevin Blackwell, after Liam Miller played for the club last season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GR **********************)

quite a bit of talk on the forums too:/

VAN IS FACING REDS RETURN

MANCHESTER UNITED ON TOUR: FIT-AGAIN MIDFIELDER THROWS DOWN GAUNTLET

RUUD VAN NISTELROOY faces the indignity of having to return for preseason training with Manchester United if his move to Real Madrid is not completed this weekend.

Having been told by Sir Alex Ferguson he has no future at United following their fall-out last season, van Nistelrooy may have to face his boss once again unless his future is resolved by Monday.

United are demanding £15million up front for van Nistelrooy (right) but Real, who have bid £12m, want to spread their payments for the striker in a deal including performance-related clauses.

oh dear oh dear oh dear! jpshakehead.sml.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I owe the thread some genuine opinions……

Ruud’s a great player – his record speaks for itself. He’s been unlucky that’s he’s been playing in what’s a stagnant / declining team and I can understand why he might have wanted to walk away. Even so, my gut feeling is that he and his agent have been at best liberal with the truth and I don’t see why he should escape some criticism for that.

I’m genuine when I say he doesn’t supply many of my ‘great’ moments, but I think that’s more about me personally. His time at United has been when I’ve been a little bit more apathetic and the intensity and wonderful nature of the 92-99 period means almost all my favourite things happened then.

I’m sad to see him go, and concerned about the gap it leaves. But, I can’t help but feel that we’ve not been playing to his strengths for a long time – and that’s been detrimental to both times. His age and contract situation meant that something had to change – either a fat new contract or a genuine attempt to build the next 4 or so years around him or say tara. Given the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney have a number of years on him, I think we’ve made the correct decision. He’s often looked slow and out of place in an otherwise pretty pacy attack. Even so, you can’t take the guarantee of 25 odd goals without it having a detrimental impact.

SAF’s taken a big risk. I hope he’s done it for footballing reasons and that personal feelings have not over-ridden things – wouldn’t be the 1st time that’s happened though.

I can’t help but feel that if Ruud is the player some of you think he is (and the goals suggest that) we could and should have got a lot more out of him from a team perspective – how much of that is down to his attitude I don’t know (I’d probably say more than most of you).

Also, my gut feeling is still that the bigger things that are going on at the club – Glazer / SAF’s succession completely over shadow the importance of one player (whoever) joining or leaving. That bigger picture is more important than RvN.

Yes, Fergie was interested in Gravesen before he went to Madrid in January '05 but the PLC wouldn't sanction the purchase. I don't know if we were after him last season.

Yes, his name may have been mentioned as a potential signing this summer.

No, I think the general thread consensus is that Gravesen isn't what we need.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Gers set for loan swoop for Martin

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed starlet Lee Martin could join Rangers on loan.

The 19-year-old has been earning a name for himself with the Old Trafford youth team and Ibrox boss Paul Le Guen is hoping to take Martin to Glasgow on a temporary deal.

Ferguson believes his former club could be the ideal place for the talented youngster to hone his talents.

Ferguson told the Glasgow Evening Times: "Paul has spoken to me about two or three young players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Two or three young players", So other than Martin who would be possibly going out on loan.

Would take Rossi but he's not available on loan this season icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heard a couple of reports saying rossi could be loaned out for some regular first team football

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I hate him so much. I want to invent a time machine and travel back so I can strangle him in his crib as an infant. I'd rip his bloody....GOAL!!!YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif what a strike, son. I will name my firstborn cronaldo w. pigsbladder to honor him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stevie Gerrard, Gerrard, he kisses the badge on his chest, then hands in a transfer request, Stevie Gerrard, Gerrard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who does steven gerrard play for?

who does rvn play for?

West lower is where all the cool cats are this season icon_cool.gif

Re: Bardsley - too soon to write him off completely. Especially unsure how opposition fans can write him off when he's done well with his limited first team opportunities, unless they've watched our reserves or pre-season programme extensively. That said, he has had a fairly awful pre-season and been outshone by Simpson, and the apparent big-time attitude is a bit of a concern.

I assume he'll start on Sunday anyway, possible last chance for him to really stake a claim as the heir to the #2 shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Rationally speaking I'd prefer the better player, and Tevez is proven whilst Rossi is not.

However, emotionally speaking, I really want to see Rossi do well at the club, as he's come up through the ranks and is so highly rated that he's got to be given a chance.

It's like when Veron signed and Scholes was moved up front. Veron was a great player and even if had been brilliant for us, if it meant that Scholes was sold it would have been a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

haha, yeah it's a dire song icon_biggrin.gif

I LOVED the Chelsea game, like Matt says the mass booing was amazing, stood up all game as well icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but ffs the tension towards the end icon_biggrin.gif

was fb though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Fletcher was absolutely fine today, did very well, even on the right wing.

I thought Evra was poor too, just seemed to slide around the pitch randomly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was either Fletcher beeing to good or Fletcher beeing the usual self and the rest of the team so damn poor that made Fletcher looked good.

I go with the 2nd option.

And it seemed we lacked any real initiative today, we just let Arsenal have their way with us. Ffs, 5mil pounds it cost Arsenal to get one over us (buying Rosicky) icon_frown.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was caught up in the moment icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't just once dammit it was EVERY SINGLE TIME.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CARRICK FULFILLING EURO AMBITIONS

Michael Carrick admits the lure of the Champions League was one of the major reasons behind his move to Manchester United.

Carrick is expected to line up against Celtic at Parkhead on Tuesday as United chase the point required to advance into the last 16 of this season's competition with a game to spare.

For the 25-year-old England midfielder, it is a whole new experience having never previously played in a European tie of any description for either West Ham or Tottenham.

Despite this lack of experience, Sir Alex Ferguson was sufficiently convinced by Carrick's ability to splash out £18.6million to sign him from Spurs.

Although it was the end of July before the deal finally went through, Carrick made it known that he wanted to leave White Hart Lane almost as soon as the Red Devils made their first inquiry just before the World Cup.

And now the transfer has become reality, the Wallsend-born star is eager to make up for lost time.

"The Champions League is the best place to play," he said.

"It is where you test yourself against the best and see how good you could become.

"It was always a big ambition of mine to be challenging for league championships and Champions Leagues. That is why you want to come to a big club like this."

Although United's status as the richest club in the world has been snatched away by Real Madrid, they remain one of the biggest names in the game.

In sheer scale of support, they have few rivals in the United Kingdom. Celtic though are not far behind, given the global appeal of the Glasgow club and their regular 60,000 sell-out crowds.

Having played against them on a couple of occasions in pre-season friendlies, and watched a few Old Firm games on TV, Carrick has a good idea how intense the atmosphere is likely to be on Tuesday.

"It will be awesome," he said.

"European nights up there always are. I have seen on TV how passionate the fans are and hopefully I will have the opportunity to experience it myself."

Mindful of Sunday's Premiership blockbuster with Chelsea, Ferguson has already made it clear he expects to make at least a couple of changes to his starting line-up.

Tough-tackling full-back Gabriel Heinze is certain to come into contention, as will Scotland international Darren Fletcher, whose Edinburgh origins mask a lifelong love of the Hoops.

Celtic's impressive home record in European combat make them an opponent to be respected.

But, having secured a long-awaited Champions League away win against Benfica in September, United are in no mood to surrender their current advantage at the top of Group E and find themselves forced to play the Portuguese giants in a last-day qualification decider for the second season in a row.

"Celtic's home record speaks for itself," said Carrick.

"They are a very tough team to beat up there. But if we are at our best we are capable of winning against anyone." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

Lads, it's time for the awards that MATTER.

The OTF MUFC November awards - In association with Vida and his 2 mobile phones

Player of the Month

Worst player of the month

Most improved player of the month

Goal of the month

Moment of the month

Voting closes on Tuesday at 19.00

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Well that's the complete opposite of what I have heard. Why would you re-finance to increase your annual payments?

Unless of course the length of the loan has been reduced, in which case overall you will still owe less (depending on the terms of the deal) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't understand it myself. i thought the whole idea of the refinancing was to reduce annual repayments slightly. maybe the article is wrong. almost certain that the overall debt has gone up markedly though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As i understood it, the refinancing was on the hedge funds side of the debt, rather than the straight loans. I think what has happened is that while payments have gone up from last year as the article said, they've gone up significantly less than they would otherwise have done. If i remember correctly, the hedge funds had little or no annual interest payments, but huge penalty clauses if they weren't paid/bought back by a set date (at which point you pay the interest accrued as well).

So the upshot is, the payments haven't dropped, they've gone up less than they otherwise would have done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Cristiano Ronaldo basically unplayable at times. Honest to god, and with no hyperbole, he could be the best player in the world very, very soon.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's some way off. Running with the ball he is the best, but the best player in the world has to choose the best option of when to pass or shoot in order to maximise his team's chances and he has a lot to learn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corners aren't too great either, even if he is making massive improvements to his freekicks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

SAF on SSN describing it as our worst defending of the season, adding that he doesn't understand why icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ole praises Sir Alex and Carlos

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has praised the work of Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz in taking United to the top of the Premiership.

The Reds have emerged from a transitional period where Sir Alex constructed a new team. Now part of the old guard, Solskjaer, who turns 34 next month, has had the unique opportunity to observe the team's progression from a distance and at first hand as he continues to show excellent form after more than two years out with a knee injury.

"We have grown to know the ideas of the gaffer and Carlos," he told ManUtd.com. "In the last two years we have not been at the very top, but we can see now that their work is bearing fruits.

"We all recognise situations much earlier in games. Now we are really starting to move forward and you can see that with the results we have been getting, the football we are playing and the position we are in. The team is playing some great football, we're looking very strong and dynamic."

The Reds head to Arsenal on Sunday in what could be a crucial weekend with Chelsea travelling to Anfield. Solskjaer now has nine goals in 17 appearances this season - the most prolific strike-rate in the Reds' squad - but despite the campaign going very well personally and for the team, he is not getting too ahead of himself.

“We wanted to be top of the league in January,†he said. “Now we're in that position, we want to be there in April and May. But we can’t think about championships or trophies, we have to take it a game at a time." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

basically just another opportunity to say 'Ole :*****)'

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

park is awesome, i thought he was really good today but lack of shooting ability, quite funny really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Park is a great dribbler, sadly the rest of his game needs improving.

He doesnt deserve to be hated though and his fall from grace has been swift. It wasnt so long ago he was a favourite in here.

And on an unrelated note can i add that Evra is fb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

One other point on Park. I'm also a little surprised how he's given so much leeway when his end product is worse than Ronaldo's ever was, given the criticism he received. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me Park actually looks to do the right things, sure he doesn't always get it right and panics a lot but his general play is fine. When Ronaldo was at his worst, thinking of the first half of 04/05 and 05/06, he did things that were so obviously not going to work and took countless ridiculous shots on that always ended up miles over. For me that was a lot more frustrating to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

The United Thread Stat-tacular 2006-7: Forever Delayed

Appearances:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Prem | ECL | FAC | TCC | Total |

| | | | | |

1. Edwin VAN DER SAR | 24 | 6 | | | 30 |

2. Gary NEVILLE | 21 | 4 | 2 | | 27 |

3. Patrice EVRA | 16(2) | 2(2) | 2 | 0(1) | 20(5) |

4. Gabriel HEINZE | 8(5) | 3(1) | | 2 | 13(6) |

5. Rio FERDINAND | 25 | 4(1) | 2 | | 31(1) |

6. Wes BROWN | 8(4) | 3 | 1 | 2 | 14(4) |

7. Cristiano RONALDO | 23(1) | 5 | 1 | 1 | 30(1) |

8. Wayne ROONEY | 22(1) | 6 | 1(1) | 1 | 30(2) |

9. Louis SAHA | 17(4) | 5 | | | 22(4) |

11. Ryan GIGGS | 17(2) | 3 | 2 | | 22(2) |

13. PARK Ji-Sung | 5(6) | | 2 | | 7(6) |

14. Alan SMITH | | 0(2) | | 2 | 2(2) |

15. Nemanja VIDIC | 19 | 5 | 1 | | 25 |

16. Michael CARRICK | 19(3) | 6 | 2 | | 27(3) |

17. Henrik LARSSON | 3(1) | | 2 | | 5(1) |

18. Paul SCHOLES | 20 | 5(1) | 1 | | 26(1) |

19. Giuseppe ROSSI | | | | | |

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER | 6(6) | 1(3) | 1(1) | 1 | 9(10) |

21. DONG Fangzhuo | | | | | |

22. John O'SHEA | 10(12)| 3(2) | 0(1) | 1 | 14(15) |

23. Kieran RICHARDSON | 4(3) | 0(2) | | 2 | 6(5) |

24. Darren FLETCHER | 11(6) | 3(2) | 0(2) | 1 | 15(10) |

25. David JONES | | | | 2 | 2 |

27. Mikael SILVESTRE | 6(6) | 2 | | 2 | 10(6) |

29. Tomasz KUSZCZAK | 2 | | 2 | 2 | 6 |

34. Ryan SHAWCROSS | | | | 0(2) | 0(2) |

35. Kieran LEE | | | | 0(2) | 0(2) |

36. David GRAY | | | | 1 | 1 |

41. Philip MARSH | | | | 1 | 1 |

42. Michael BARNES | | | | 0(1) | 0(1) |

49. Ritchie JONES | | | | 1 | 1 |

</pre>

Goalscorers:

| | | | | |

7. Cristiano RONALDO | 15 | | | | 15 |

8. Wayne ROONEY | 10 | | 2 | | 12 |

9. Louis SAHA | 8 | 4 | | | 12 |

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER | 6 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 9 |

18. Paul SCHOLES | 5 | 1 | | | 6 |

11. Ryan GIGGS | 3 | 1 | | | 4 |

15. Nemanja VIDIC | 3 | 1 | | | 4 |

17. Henrik LARSSON | 1 | | 1 | | 2 |

22. John O'SHEA | 1 | 1 | | | 2 |

24. Darren FLETCHER | 2 | | | | 2 |

3. Patrice EVRA | 1 | | | | 1 |

5. Rio FERDINAND | 1 | | | | 1 |

13. PARK Ji-Sung | 1 | | | | 1 |

16. Michael CARRICK | 1 | | | | 1 |

23. Kieran RICHARDSON | | 1 | | | 1 |

27. Mikael SILVESTRE | 1 | | | | 1 |

35. Kieran LEE | | | | 1 | 1 |

Own Goals | 2 | | | | 2 |

| | | | | |

Totals | 61 | 10 | 4 | 2 | 77 |

</pre>

Penalties:

9. Louis SAHA 3/4

7. Cristiano RONALDO 2/3

</pre>

Penalties won:

7. Cristiano RONALDO 3

8. Wayne ROONEY 1

11. Ryan GIGGS 1

13. PARK Ji-Sung 1

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER 1

</pre>

Assists:

11. Ryan GIGGS 9

8. Wayne ROONEY 9

7. Cristiano RONALDO 8

9. Louis SAHA 8

2. Gary NEVILLE 4

3. Patrice EVRA 3

16. Michael CARRICK 3

6. Wes BROWN 2

13. PARK Ji-Sung 2

18. Paul SCHOLES 2

24. Darren FLETCHER 2

4. Gabriel HEINZE 1

14. Alan SMITH 1

15. Nemanja VIDIC 1

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER 1

23. Kieran RICHARDSON 1

49. Ritchie JONES 1

</pre>

At Fault For Goal:

27. Mikael SILVESTRE 4

2. Gary NEVILLE 2

4. Gabriel HEINZE 2

5. Rio FERDINAND 2

1. Edwin VAN DER SAR 1

3. Patrice EVRA 1

6. Wes BROWN 1

7. Cristiano RONALDO 1

13. PARK Ji-Sung 1

16. Michael CARRICK 1

22. John O'SHEA 1

</pre>

Clean Sheets:

Charlton away (EPL)

Tottenham home (EPL)

Benfica away (CL)

Newcastle home (EPL)

FC Kobenhavn home (CL)

Liverpool home (EPL)

Bolton away (EPL)

Portsmouth home (EPL)

Blackburn away (EPL)

Everton home (EPL)

Aston Villa away (EPL)

Watford home (EPL)

Tottenham away (EPL)

</pre>

Yellow Cards:

| | | | | |

18. Paul SCHOLES | 6 | 2 | | | 8 |

15. Nemanja VIDIC | 7 | | | | 7 |

8. Wayne ROONEY | 4 | 1 | | 1 | 6 |

3. Patrice EVRA | 4 | 1 | | | 5 |

6. Wes BROWN | 2 | | | 1 | 3 |

11. Ryan GIGGS | 3 | | | | 3 |

23. Kieran RICHARDSON | 2 | | | 1 | 3 |

4. Gabriel HEINZE | 2 | 1 | | | 3 |

7. Cristiano RONALDO | 1 | 1 | | | 2 |

16. Michael CARRICK | 1 | 1 | | | 2 |

22. John O'SHEA | 2 | | | | 2 |

2. Gary NEVILLE | 1 | | | | 1 |

5. Rio FERDINAND | 1 | | | | 1 |

9. Louis SAHA | 1 | | | | 1 |

17. Henrik LARSSON | 1 | | | | 1 |

24. Darren FLETCHER | | 1 | | | 1 |

25. David JONES | | | | 1 | 1 |

27. Mikael SILVESTRE | | 1 | | | 1 |

35. Kieran LEE | | | | 1 | 1 |

</pre>

Average Goals Per Game: 2.89 (104 in 36)

Average Goals Scored Per Game: 2.14 (77 in 36)

Average Goals Conceded Per Game: 0.75 (27 in 36)

Games Won When Scoring First Goal: 23/25 (92%)

Games Drawn When Scoring First Goal: 1/25 (4%)

Games Lost When Scoring First Goal: 1/25 (4%)

Games Won When Conceding First Goal: 4/11 (36.36%)

Games Drawn When Conceding First Goal: 2/11 (18.19%)

Games Lost When Conceding First Goal: 5/11 (45.45%)

Games Won When Leading At Half-Time: 14/15 (93.33%)

Games Drawn When Leading At Half-Time: 1/15 (6.67%)

Games Lost When Leading At Half-Time: 0/15

Games Won When Drawing At Half-Time: 12/19 (63.16%)

Games Drawn When Drawing At Half-Time: 2/19 (10.53%)

Games Lost When Drawing At Half-Time: 5/19 (26.32%)

Games Won When Losing At Half-Time: 1/2 (50%)

Games Drawn When Losing At Half-Time: 0/2

Games Lost When Losing At Half-Time: 1/2 (50%)

Time of Goals Scored:

| | | | | |

0 - 15 mins | 10 | | | | 10 |

15 - 30 mins | 6 | | | 1 | 7 |

30 - 45 mins | 9 | 4 | | | 13 |

45 - 60 mins | 12 | 3 | 1 | | 16 |

60 - 75 mins | 15 | 2 | | | 17 |

75 - 90 mins | 11 | 1 | 1 | | 13 |

Extra Time | | | | 1 | 1 |

</pre>

Time of Goals Conceded:

| | | | | |

0 - 15 mins | 2 | | | | 2 |

15 - 30 mins | | 2 | | 1 | 3 |

30 - 45 mins | 4 | 1 | | | 5 |

45 - 60 mins | 2 | | | | 2 |

60 - 75 mins | 5 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 8 |

75 - 90 mins | 5 | 1 | | | 6 |

Extra Time | | | | | |

</pre>

Manner of Goals Scored:

| | | | | |

Left foot | 12 | 5 | | | 17 |

Right foot | 40 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 45 |

Head | 10 | 3 | | | 13 |

Opponent | 2 | | | | 2 |

| | | | | |

Inside area | 54 | 8 | 2 | 1 | 65 |

Outside area | 9 | 2 | | 1 | 12 |

| | | | | |

Open play | 53 | 6 | 2 | 2 | 63 |

Set piece | 5 | 3 | | | 8 |

Direct freekick | 1 | | | | 1 |

Penalty | 4 | 1 | | | 5 |

</pre>

Manner of Goals Conceded:

| | | | | |

Left foot | 6 | 4 | | | 10 |

Right foot | 8 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 12 |

Head | 4 | | | | 4 |

United player | 1 | | | | 1 |

| | | | | |

Inside area | 14 | 2 | 1 | | 17 |

Outside area | 5 | 3 | | 2 | 10 |

| | | | | |

Open play | 14 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 19 |

Set piece | 2 | | | | 2 |

Direct freekick | 1 | 2 | | 1 | 4 |

Penalty | 2 | | | | 2 |

</pre>

Form

Last Six (All comps): WWLWWW

Last Six (Prem/ship): WDWLWW

Home (All comps): WWWWWW

Home (Prem/ship): WWWWWW

Away (All comps): WLWDLW

Away (Prem/ship): WLWDLW

Games Unbeaten: 3 (all comps), 2 (premiership)

Consecutive Wins: 3 (all comps), 2 (premiership)

</pre>

Attendances:

Highest - 76,073, vs Aston Villa (Premiership, 13/01/07)

Lowest - 71,137, vs Portsmouth (FA Cup, 27/01/07)

Total - 1,352,288 (18 games)

Average - 75,127

Part-Timer Watch:

Sevilla home - BBB left early, missed two goals

Portsmouth home - BBB flogged his ticket to feed his chocolate habit

Dubiously-legal female charity collectors ogled from the wall:

Ten

Delicacies enjoyed at the wall:

Beer

Pork pies

<STRIKE>Cheesecake</STRIKE>

Forthcoming Fixtures

10.02.07 Charlton Athletic (H) Premiership

17.02.07 Reading (H) FA Cup Round 5

20.02.07 Lille OSC Métropole (A) Champions League R16 1st Leg

24.02.07 Fulham (A) Premiership

03.03.07 Liverpool (A) Premiership

06.03.07 Lille OSC Métropole (H) Champions League R16 2nd Leg

</pre>

*** BONUS NEW YEAR UNITED CAREER STATS ***

Appearances:

| Prem | ECL | FAC | TCC | Other | Total |

| | | | | | |

11. Ryan GIGGS | 435(58)| 98(6) | 49(7) | 25(5) | 12(1) | 619(77) |

2. Gary NEVILLE | 346(15)| 98(6) | 40(3) | 16(1) | 8(1) | 508(26) |

18. Paul SCHOLES | 297(64)| 86(12)| 24(9) | 11(5) | 10 | 428(90) |

27. Mikael SILVESTRE | 222(21)| 59(7) | 17(2) | 13(1) | 7 | 318(31) |

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER | 148(80)| 35(44)| 12(13)| 8(3) | 6(3) | 209(143)|

6. Wes BROWN | 132(20)| 37(6) | 20(2) | 16(1) | | 205(29) |

22. John O'SHEA | 122(31)| 33(10)| 12(2) | 17(1) | 1(1) | 185(45) |

5. Rio FERDINAND | 140(1) | 34(1) | 11(1) | 9(1) | 1 | 195(4) |

7. Cristiano RONALDO | 87(32)| 23(3) | 13(2) | 8 | | 131(37) |

24. Darren FLETCHER | 69(15)| 18(7) | 7(9) | 10 | 0(1) | 104(29) |

8. Wayne ROONEY | 80(8) | 17 | 9(2) | 5(2) | | 111(12) |

9. Louis SAHA | 45(21)| 6(5) | 3(3) | 9 | | 63(29) |

14. Alan SMITH | 37(15)| 10(5) | 0(5) | 4(2) | 1 | 52(27) |

1. Edwin VAN DER SAR | 62 | 14 | 2 | 3 | | 81 |

4. Gabriel HEINZE | 36(6) | 12(1) | 4 | 4 | | 56(7) |

23. Kieran RICHARDSON | 16(17)| 5(9) | 6(1) | 11(2) | 0(1) | 38(30) |

13. PARK Ji-Sung | 28(17)| 0(6) | 3(1) | 3 | | 34(24) |

15. Nemanja VIDIC | 28(2) | 5 | 3 | 0(2) | | 36(4) |

3. Patrice EVRA | 23(6) | 2(2) | 2(1) | 1(2) | | 28(11) |

16. Michael CARRICK | 19(3) | 6 | 2 | | | 27(3) |

29. Tomasz KUSZCZAK | 2 | | 2 | 2 | | 6 |

17. Henrik LARSSON | 3(1) | | 2 | | | 5(1) |

</pre>

Goals:

| Prem | ECL | FAC | TCC | Other | Total |

| | | | | | |

11. Ryan GIGGS | 97 | 24 | 10 | 7 | | 138 |

18. Paul SCHOLES | 94 | 22 | 12 | 8 | | 136 |

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER | 90 | 20 | 7 | 7 | | 124 |

8. Wayne ROONEY | 37 | 4 | 5 | 2 | | 48 |

7. Cristiano RONALDO | 33 | 1 | 6 | 2 | | 42 |

9. Louis SAHA | 23 | 4 | 2 | 7 | | 36 |

14. Alan SMITH | 7 | 2 | | 1 | 1 | 11 |

27. Mikael SILVESTRE | 6 | 2 | 1 | | 1 | 10 |

22. John O'SHEA | 6 | 1 | 1 | 1 | | 9 |

23. Kieran RICHARDSON | 1 | 2 | 3 | 3 | | 9 |

2. Gary NEVILLE | 5 | 2 | | | | 7 |

24. Darren FLETCHER | 6 | | | | | 6 |

5. Rio FERDINAND | 4 | | | | | 4 |

15. Nemanja VIDIC | 3 | 1 | | | | 4 |

4. Gabriel HEINZE | 1 | 2 | | | | 3 |

13. PARK Ji-Sung | 2 | | | 1 | | 3 |

6. Wes BROWN | 1 | 1 | | | | 2 |

17. Henrik LARSSON | 1 | | 1 | | | 2 |

3. Patrice EVRA | 1 | | | | | 1 |

16. Michael CARRICK | 1 | | | | | 1 |

1. Edwin VAN DER SAR | | | | | | 0 |

</pre>

--------------------------------------------------------------

Reserves Update

Appearances (FAPRL, MSC & LAC): Kieran Lee 14, Daniel Rose 11, Aaron Burns 10(1), Tom Heaton 10, Ryan Shawcross 10, Michael Lea 9(1), Ritchie Jones 9, Michael Barnes 8(4), Philip Marsh 8(3), Craig Cathcart 8(2), Jamie Mullan 8(2), David Gray 7(1), Alan Smith 7, Séan Evans 6(2), David Jones 6, Tomasz Kuszczak 4, Sam Hewson 3(1), Christopher Eagles 3, Floribert N'Galula 3, Dong Fangzhuo 2, Wes Brown 1, Darren Fletcher 1, Liam Miller 1, Ji-Sung Park 1, Kieran Richardson 1, Giuseppe Rossi 1, Mikael Silvestre 1, Danny Simpson 1, Febian Brandy (5), Christy Fagan (3), Lee Crockett (1), Daniel Drinkwater (1), Magnus Wolff Eikrem (1)

Scorers: Burns 7, Marsh 7, Barnes 3, Brandy 2, Rossi 2, Eagles 1, Gray 1, D Jones 1, Lea 1, Lee 1, Richardson 1, Rose 1, Shawcross 1, Smith 1, own goals 1 (Webster, Wigan)

Premier Reserve League North Table:

P W D L F A GD Pts

1. M'boro Res 10 7 1 2 24 15 +9 22

2. Man Utd Res 8 5 1 2 15 7 +8 16

3. Man City Res 10 5 1 4 18 12 +6 16

</pre>

Next Fixture:

08.02.07 Oldham Athletic (A) - Manchester Seniors Cup

Academy Update

Appearances (Academy and FAYC): James Chester 21, Christy Fagan 20(1), Febian Brandy 18(1), Richard Eckersley 16, Daniel Drinkwater 15(4), Sam Hewson 15(1), Benjamin Amos 15, James Derbyshire 14(3), Craig Cathcart 14, Magnus Wolff Eikrem 12(2), Daniel Welbeck 10(9), Antonio Bryan 10(7), Conor McCormack 10(4), Daniel Galbraith 10(2), Thomas Cleverley 10(1), Michael Lea 6, Ron-Robert Zieler 6, Corrie Evans 5(5), Kenny Strickland 4(1), Oliver Norwood (2), Matthew James (2), Nicky Ajose (2)

Scorers: Brandy 13, Fagan 7, Welbeck 6, Hewson 4, Bryan 2, Cathcart 2, Chester 1, Drinkwater 1, Eikrem 1, Galbraith 1, Lea 1

U18 Academy Group C Table:

P W D L F A GD Pt

5. WBA Yth 19 8 2 9 27 28 -1 26

6. Man Utd Yth 18 6 4 8 32 32 0 22

7. Everton Yth 18 3 9 6 24 24 0 18

</pre>

Next Fixture:

10.02.07 Crewe Alexandra (A) - FA Academy Group C

Also Upcoming:

21.02.07 Birmingham City (H) - FA Youth Cup Quarter Final @ Old Trafford

christ, i'm never letting five games worth of stats build up again icon_frown.gif

just needing AFFG's for arsenal's two goals, suggestions?

Tricksy....

My top 3 could really be in any order. Should be that combination in everyone's top 3 really. icon_mad.gif

1) Roy Keane - OVERALL influence, he played such a huge part in so many of those 8 titles. Just look at what his absence did to us in 98, to an extent in 02, and where we've been since his powers have waned. Mostly longevity - Juve apart I can't think of any hugely important specific events. Just a case of being at such a high level so consistently.

2) Eric Cantona - catalyst, pushed a good team over the top into a great one. As for individual moments, well - the two cup finals, the 1-0 over Newcastle etc etc.

3) Schmikes - More so in the early and mid 90's than towards the end of his career. But as has often been pointed out, he won us so many points over the years. Plus his save from Bergkamp in the FA Semi replay was crucial.

4) Ryan Giggs

5) Paul Scholes

6) Ole Solskjaer

7) Mark Hughes

8) David Beckham

9) Steve Bruce

10) Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Rooney and Ronaldo don't get anything until we win the league. Honorable mentions to Mark Robins, Lee Martin, Bryan Robson, Teddy Sheringham, Rio Ferdinand and Jaap Stam.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

quaresma totally tearing it up at the moment

obviously I can't say I want us to sign him since i have to watch at least 20 hours of footage according to Juni. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quaresma sucks. Never gonna make it at a big team in the big league.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic quote from La Repubblica:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When Cristiano Ronaldo began to put his foot over the ball for his famous stepover, after not even 20 seconds, Roma's players already looked like those children who hate car journeys and throw up at the first bend in the road </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From this article on Italian press reaction

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred_the_Red:

Villa is perfect. I dont really know what Owen Hargreaves would add to be honest. O'Shea and Smith can cover for Carrick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree.

Smith is a striker and I don't want to see him starting games in the centre again. O'Shea is not good enough to be next in line should Scholes or Carrick pick up a random injury before a match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

finding the team, let it go eric you sad twat icon_biggrin.gif

the nature of the performance against milan is what people had an issue with. we didnt look remotely bothered that we were going out of a european cup semi final, its hard to compare that with the carling cup or whatever drink sponsored it this year.

Archived